• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Software

pops

From what i read matchan.. there are GPS software for naval based operations.. but as for the streets there was a software for the S60 mobiles which had support for the MAJOR sri lankan roads.. i cant remember the software at the moment..

hardware support is of no problem as it is the software which has no maps which causes the prob of havin gps without functionality.. though with time i am sure there outta be maps coming out from tomtom n route66

If its just the location ya are interested in being pointed on the map then there are hardware which ya could purchase off ebay.. if they would allow custom software installation, ya could instal those progs which have the SL maps... but as i said earlier.. the maps are stil in development..

Zz

dunno if anyone uses GPS out here...highly doubtful...

but these digital format maps r availabe

http://www.survey-dept.slt.lk/products/dig...igital_data.htm

can we know what GPS device your currenlty using?

GARMIN GPS had some local support -

Techinnovators Pvt Ltd

Sales & Distrbution Center

No; 132, Old Road, Nawinna,

Maharagama

Phone: 94 11 2575808

94 11 2850547

Fax: 94 11 2577375

E-mail: techinno@sltnet

@MODs - please excuse - not advertising - remove once POP's views

Appologies

é CJ 7 is a nice pice of kit - any pics :)

Edited by Devinda_Z

dunno if anyone uses GPS out here...highly doubtful...

but these digital format maps r availabe

http://www.survey-dept.slt.lk/products/dig...igital_data.htm

can we know what GPS device your currenlty using?

é UK base GARMIN has some support for sri lanka i believe...

Sri Lanka

Technnovators (PVT) Ltd 11, 14th Lane, Colombo 03, Sri Lanka

tel 94 1575 808 fax 1 577375 Mr P. Wijayatilake

but that info is very old...

@MODs - please excuse - not advertising - remove once POP's views

Appologies

é CJ 7 is a nice pice of kit - any pics :)

Company called Geoinformatics International (Pvt) Ltd is offering vehicle tracking based on a GPS/GSM technology. They are at 105, Rosmead Place, Col-07.

But this is more for security and fleet management solution than 'in-car'

But this is more for security and fleet management solution than 'in-car'

this is é place with á software tracking bundle for é symbian phones né! - seems really good - but cost was in to é high side - but then agaib when its less than 1/10th of 'vehicle value i uess it would be worth it...

came arcoss this-

http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/products/...D=23&ID=449

I dont have a built in GPS.Using external one.A Garmin 12XL carmounted.Software can be updated regularly.Only down part is the fonts are small when travelling at high speeds since its hanged middle of the dashboard.Planing to fix it next to instrument cluster for improved visibility.

MINIACE

I dont have a built in GPS.Using external one.A Garmin 12XL carmounted.Software can be updated regularly.Only down part is the fonts are small when travelling at high speeds since its hanged middle of the dashboard.Planing to fix it next to instrument cluster for improved visibility.

MINIACE

hey miniace... how much did the device cost you dude? and bout the software.. SL maps and roads clearly marked and mentioned? from where d you purchase it?

for smartphone users, ya have the option of making ya phone GPS compliant but purchasing the bluetooth GPS module which could den pair with the fone.. Tomtom and related GPS applications supports it and it works... good if ya want a GPS on the go..

Zz

hey miniace... how much did the device cost you dude? and bout the software.. SL maps and roads clearly marked and mentioned? from where d you purchase it?

for smartphone users, ya have the option of making ya phone GPS compliant but purchasing the bluetooth GPS module which could den pair with the fone.. Tomtom and related GPS applications supports it and it works... good if ya want a GPS on the go..

Zz

It cost me US$75 in 2004. In SL ,carmounted and handheld GPSs are imported by Delta enterprises-Wattala.They supply many reputed establishments in SL.Not really sure about retail buys.But Im sure I can ask CEO and convince.

Garmin 12xl has a cable and connect PC and GPS unit through a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) with a PC Interface cable.Upgrading is possible.has a capability of 500 user waypoints.No roads are displayed unless we add the manually as routes through user waypoints.Moving map in enabled! I learned Garmin street-pilot 300 seroes is good.

MINIACE

It cost me US$75 in 2004. In SL ,carmounted and handheld GPSs are imported by Delta enterprises-Wattala.They supply many reputed establishments in SL.Not really sure about retail buys.But Im sure I can ask CEO and convince.

Garmin 12xl has a cable and connect PC and GPS unit through a free serial port (Com 1, 2, 3, or 4) with a PC Interface cable.Upgrading is possible.has a capability of 500 user waypoints.No roads are displayed unless we add the manually as routes through user waypoints.Moving map in enabled! I learned Garmin street-pilot 300 seroes is good.

MINIACE

thanks for the det miniace.. i find these types of tech quite useful on excursions... i guess the newer models would def come out with some proper maps for SL.. but for your consideration.. these smartphone based GPS devices too are pretty handy.. 6630 n related phones give an accuracy or +/- 2 M of the exact location.. pretty good id say..

what do you mean by waypoint bro? landmarks or somethin?

Zz

thanks for the det miniace.. i find these types of tech quite useful on excursions... i guess the newer models would def come out with some proper maps for SL.. but for your consideration.. these smartphone based GPS devices too are pretty handy.. 6630 n related phones give an accuracy or +/- 2 M of the exact location.. pretty good id say..

what do you mean by waypoint bro? landmarks or somethin?

Zz

User waypoints are way points created by user by either lat longs feeded manually or autostore method (go to location and feed that).Im finding this ok for my work.

Tell me more about smartphone based ones.Price etc.

MINIACE

Tx all for the information. I am currently using a handheld "PDA/Garmin iQUE 3600". It can be fixed to any vehicle or hand carried. It is just like a normal PDA running the Palm OS in addition to running Garmin GPS software with a built in antenna. Garmin has a variety of packages for it. However they do not have native software for Sri Lanka, hence the question. Nor have i found any on the 'net.

I am more interested in topo maps and not really looking for road maps. I predominantly use it to off road on the Canadian shield. Pretty much run the pioneer trails from yester-year. I was thinking of joining my folks down in SL for a weeks bush trailing and is now equipping myself for it. I am told that the terrain is awesome.

Devinda_Z: I don't have a recent pic of the rig as it under going some mods right now. I would post a link to our site here but that seems to be breaking the rules of this site. let me see what i can do.

PS: That z300 looks pretty kewl ... have you chipped it?

Devinda_Z: I don't have a recent pic of the rig as it under going some mods right now. I would post a link to our site here but that seems to be breaking the rules of this site. let me see what i can do.

PS: That z300 looks pretty kewl ... have you chipped it?

feel free to drop me a mail with é link when ur free on [email protected]

thanx :) é 300ZX is stock , bar é exhuast...

its é DEFENDER thats gonna see some upgrades starting with Suspension work :) ....but i confess that i'm can be accused of virtual blasphemy as i've never stuffed é Land Rover in a mud rut - n é coils will be road biased with anti roll bars n soft poly-u-bushes :mellow: but itspite of non venturing off road much , 'pervious owner decided to prop a set of Hella Rally 3000 fogs on it! :)

User waypoints are way points created by user by either lat longs feeded manually or autostore method (go to location and feed that).Im finding this ok for my work.

Tell me more about smartphone based ones.Price etc.

MINIACE

Oh upto 500 waypoints eh.. thats quite cool taking into consideration that once they are set, the system would point the direction and the distance.

well about the smartphone based system.. it basically started out for me as a search for a real portable and affordable GPS system which would support SL and i came up with some quite interesting stuff..

Phones which are generally supported - 6600, 6630, 6680, 7610, N70, N71, N72 etc. (All S60 based smartphones). A typical example of this device is :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SS-BLUETOOTH-GPS-FOR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Once ya purchase the device.. all ya ve gotta do is install the relevant GPS software (S60) onto your mobile and pair ya fone up with the bluetooth GPS Receiver... the software would automatically do the rest.. i did come accross a software which has SL maps.. the major routes for now atleast.. so there is hope for GPS on the phone too... These devices are chargeable via car 12v socket or else adapters it seems...

But if you are the hardcore fan of total mobile solutions.. then save up n go for the N95 which comes with GPS built in along with the software.. added benefits are a 5 MP auto focus camera with seriously good music/video playing capabilties..

Zz

Oh upto 500 waypoints eh.. thats quite cool taking into consideration that once they are set, the system would point the direction and the distance.

Thanks Nexgen for the details..

But 500 waypoints are not enough for me.My databade is now runs at 1919 SL userway points.anyone wants my data can mail me @ [email protected]

GPS 12XL gives Directin Distance ETA,ETD.Track corrections present speed in one window! and many more options.

MINIACE

Thanks Nexgen for the details..

But 500 waypoints are not enough for me.My databade is now runs at 1919 SL userway points.anyone wants my data can mail me @ [email protected]

GPS 12XL gives Directin Distance ETA,ETD.Track corrections present speed in one window! and many more options.

MINIACE

no problemo :) btw how much would a newer variant of the GPS device cost.. i mean if it is available at place you mentioned in Wattala.. am considering the alternatives being either phone based or a standalone unit... for a future purchase of course..

Zz

Just login to a GPS site (prefrbly Garmin) and select your model.Will ask Delta people for the price quatations but if you order it has to be a bulk (not sure about quantity).Whatever it is im sure its going to be lot less than the open market selling price!

MINIACE

miniace: email sent for GPS waypoints that you have

Even my device has a limitation of 500 waypoints / track. However, you can have mulitple tracks and as such i have over (at the last count) over 500 tracks. If you need to you can save the tracks in parts. Some on the GPS internal, SD card and some i have archived it to the latptop. When needed i will transfer it back to the device.

When looking to get a GPS keep in mind to see if all data is transferable both ways (PC -> unit -> PC). Also make sure you have some memory upgrade methodology (i.e. SD slot etc). Most units come with just a small inbuilt memory amount, once you get in to it, this will fast run out and if you did not plan for it, you are toast. Especially when you start to load topo or geographical data ...

Applications such as MapPoint/Streets and Trips etc can talk to a GPS real time via NMEA standards (check if the unit supports this protocol). Even if the unit is USB connected the you need a USB to COM bridge as NMEA is a COM standard.

neXgen: Quote - "i did come accross a software which has SL maps." - Can you point me in the correct direction for this software? tx

Devinda_Z: CJ8 are generally known here as Scramblers, same concept as the CJ5 and 7, very stable when built up due to the longwheel base. However, difficult to manouver round obstacles without body damage.

NMEA is a COM standard? when was this protocol developed as I am sure USBs would have been of existence by then.. and COM is a legacy port o most of the machines these days...

here ya go dude...

http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/products/mapofsrilanka.html

price of 4$ though.. i would ve found one for free but time didnt permit me to.. this application works very wel on symbian phones.. which is why it interested me in the first place..

Zz

Devinda_Z: CJ8 are generally known here as Scramblers, same concept as the CJ5 and 7, very stable when built up due to the longwheel base. However, difficult to manouver round obstacles without body damage.

....and i'm guessing é slighty long overhangs dont help either!!! :)

• 15 years later...

GPS tracking software enables users to track the location of vehicles, objects, and a mobile workforce using smartphones, tablets, and other location monitoring devices. The software connects with GPS-based tracking devices, records location changes in real time, and provides users with a map of vehicles.

• 6 months later...