• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sunroof Repairs?

gunat

Question

Hey Guys

Someone i know has issues with the Sunroof on their Hyundai Coupe- actually one issue- needs to replace the rubber beading that surrounds the glass...

The agents, Hyundai La*ka, said the only way was to replace the entire sunroof assembly which costs around 150k (yeah right!!).

Does anyone know of a mechanic/outfit that is good at such repairs?

Also, I've heard of a ex-Hyundai La*ka mechanic who's started his own operation, but i don't know who he is, or how to contact him...

Any info you guys can share appreciated!

cheers

14 answers to this question

Hey Guys

Someone i know has issues with the Sunroof on their Hyundai Coupe- actually one issue- needs to replace the rubber beading that surrounds the glass...

The agents, Hyundai La*ka, said the only way was to replace the entire sunroof assembly which costs around 150k (yeah right!!).

Does anyone know of a mechanic/outfit that is good at such repairs?

Also, I've heard of a ex-Hyundai La*ka mechanic who's started his own operation, but i don't know who he is, or how to contact him...

Any info you guys can share appreciated!

cheers

There is a place in Pepiliana that you can check out. Mail me.

make sure those rubber beadings dont fry!! if they start cracking & then splitting ur gonna have water seep into é hood lining & thats gonna be very messy... :mellow:

theres some liquid to make beadings supple - silicone based or something someone once said but not too sure...its supposed to be rubbed into é beadings or é beadings are to be soaked in it IF ever removed...

has anyone heard of a home remedy of using Vinegar or beadings?? :huh:

Does the electric sunroof require special attension? any maintenence tips for it?

Yes! Use it regularly!!! Because of our climate, dust, etc...most have the tendency to be left closed. This is the worst enemy...Disuse. Even if it means leaving your windows up, AC on, and sunroof open, it a worthwhile exercise. Probably best done late at night when there is little traffic on the roads.

As for applications- I've heard tha same rumour of applying a cream/oil of some sort on the beadings, but to this day, i've never seen such a thing. As for vinegar...i can see our local ants taking care of the rest!!!

Edited by gunat

Yours is electric right? The tilt up is always a problem in our office grand cabin

The tilt-up operation looks quite simple, the electric slide is a bit complecated.

I was told to open the sunroof & cleen the dust which is around the beeding & on the track from a dry cloth.

Bit concerned on this coz one of my friends got the motor busted in his Pajero.

I think its silicone spray you guys are referring to and yes it does work on dry beadings to reduce friction and to recondition plastic and rubber or so the can says,

I had a problem with a jamming power shutter (gets stuck half way up and needs to be manually helped up) and I sorted it by spraying the beadings that hold the glass while it goes up with silicone spray which reduced friction and now the window works fine, again the issue was disuse, with the climate in SL the windows are rarely put down with AC on.

I think its silicone spray you guys are referring to and yes it does work on dry beadings to reduce friction and to recondition plastic and rubber or so the can says,

I had a problem with a jamming power shutter (gets stuck half way up and needs to be manually helped up) and I sorted it by spraying the beadings that hold the glass while it goes up with silicone spray which reduced friction and now the window works fine, again the issue was disuse, with the climate in SL the windows are rarely put down with AC on.

Is it ok if I apply greece/oil on the track?

Hi Dinosh,

Me thinks Grease to lubricate moving metal parts is a good idea, but to lubricate rubber and plastics I am not sure grease is the best option,

to be honest even places who install beadings and window glasses and windscreens have their own lubricants which they use, and i got my windows lubricated 3 times by a place close to home, didnt last very long, which is why i bought silicone spray on ebay and used it and it worked,

The Don

The tilt-up operation looks quite simple, the electric slide is a bit complecated.

I was told to open the sunroof & cleen the dust which is around the beeding & on the track from a dry cloth.

Bit concerned on this coz one of my friends got the motor busted in his Pajero.

reminds me, where are the pics of your new car?