• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motor Mounts Or .. ?

Qwerty

Question

My car (toyota corolla AE100, 95) engine, steering and the body vibrates at idle, when the engine runs at a particular rpm. If the rpm is changed from that point by giving gas or by switching on/off the air conditioner, the vibration disappears. I'm pretty sure that the vibration is rpm dependant.

I think this problem appeared after I changed the motor mounts. I talked to a mechanic who diagnosed the engine for problems. He said the vibration is due to the motor mounts; The new mounts are malaysian made, and they don't remove the vibration fully.

Anybody had similar problems? What mounts do you use? How much would be the japanese mounts? It costed me around 10000/= for all 3 mounts (in last May). Please let me know your comments.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

My car (toyota corolla AE100, 95) engine, steering and the body vibrates at idle, when the engine runs at a particular rpm. If the rpm is changed from that point by giving gas or by switching on/off the air conditioner, the vibration disappears. I'm pretty sure that the vibration is rpm dependant.

I think this problem appeared after I changed the motor mounts. I talked to a mechanic who diagnosed the engine for problems. He said the vibration is due to the motor mounts; The new mounts are malaysian made, and they don't remove the vibration fully.

Anybody had similar problems? What mounts do you use? How much would be the japanese mounts? It costed me around 10000/= for all 3 mounts (in last May). Please let me know your comments.

Thanks.

The vibration could also be due to the engine misfiring at a lower RPM.

When was the last time you had a tune up done. If the spark plugs and injectors are OK (if yours is an EFI model), check your distributor and spark plug leads for any shorting.

The vibration could also be due to the engine misfiring at a lower RPM.

When was the last time you had a tune up done. If the spark plugs and injectors are OK (if yours is an EFI model), check your distributor and spark plug leads for any shorting.

The mechanic who diagnosed the engine, did a tune-up and he said the vibration is not because of misfiring or by injectors.

Hi,

I am no expert, but I could understand the problem if the vibration exists when the car is running not only idling if there was an issue of faulty mounts though it could be possible,

Could it not just be the engine is idling a bit rough ? I think if you go to a place who can do an electronic engine tune up using a diagnostic tool, and they themselves blame the vibrations on the mounts, then I guess mounts it is.

I had a similar problem with my car, but it was just an issue with the engine management system in my case but in most cases I assume it would be something much simpler,

Mounts are quite expensive now a days, in my old Mazda they were 6500 a piece and this was a good 7 years back, but they were Genuine Mazda spares, never gave me any trouble after that.

The Don

Hi,

I am no expert, but I could understand the problem if the vibration exists when the car is running not only idling if there was an issue of faulty mounts though it could be possible,

Could it not just be the engine is idling a bit rough ? I think if you go to a place who can do an electronic engine tune up using a diagnostic tool, and they themselves blame the vibrations on the mounts, then I guess mounts it is.

I had a similar problem with my car, but it was just an issue with the engine management system in my case but in most cases I assume it would be something much simpler,

Mounts are quite expensive now a days, in my old Mazda they were 6500 a piece and this was a good 7 years back, but they were Genuine Mazda spares, never gave me any trouble after that.

The Don

Thanks for the reply. I did the tune-up from a guy (D*ammi*ka F*rnando) in Cotta road. I think he used some dianostic tools including exhaust gas analysis. He told that the problem might be due to the malaysian engine mounts.

Any toyota owners had similar issues?

From what you describe it has to be the mounts.

Sadly this is the problem with non genuine parts. Not all the operating conditions and stress levels are taken into consideration when manufacturing these parts. This is why we pay more for genuine and less for others.

Best is to change to genuine mounts. Other wise it will be a nusance for you when driving and eventually the vibration will start affecting other parts of the car.

Cheers

PS Can't you get a refund from the shop that sold the mounts? (may be this is not relevant in the SL market ;) )

I have a similiar situation (at times) in my car too.. It is an auto tranny and normally when you stop while having the gear at D and braking.. the car starts to vibrate a bit abnormally, in the sense you could feel the vibration and the bonnet too vibrates quite a bit.. is this to be blamed on the mounts too? as far as i remember, the car is having the original mounts..

Zz