• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Rio

Channa B

Question

Hi people...,

I bought an unregistered Kia Rio (Automatic) about 3 weeks ago. I have now realized it is not very economical on patrol. Does between 7.6 to 8.7 km/litre in colombo with full time A/C. Is this normal for this model????

Please help me with your expert ideas on

1. What could the reason be?

2. How can I improve its performance?

BTW the engine size is 1500cc.

thank you guys

Channa B

Wow...thanx for the quick reply and ideas guys. All are taken aboard.

Well what I forgot to mention was the car came with complete bodykit, spoiler and low profile tyres (195/50R15). 82V Tubeless.

Would these make any difference..??????

Help please... My bank Balance is on a downfall....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Channa B

25 answers to this question

doesn't seem out of of the ordinary

Korean cars have not been known to be all that fuel efficient - so for an auto and a 1.5L at that , i'd be inclined to say that your consumption figures are decent...

if you wanna get a bit more fuel check and make sure your tire are not under inflated and that your air filter is clean

if your car hasn't been tuned and has run a bit , it wouldn't be a bad idea altogether to get a tune up done

they're likely to use an injector cleaner on the car when doing so and if the vehicle has done over 30~40,000km's by any chance could probably use a new set of spark plugs - but a check up will let you know if all is in order

but your consumption figures seem fairly normal - anything close to 9 0r more is very good for a korean auto

High fuel consumption is always a combination of one or more problems.To start with style of driving.

Generally the model you mentioned is bad on fuel efficiency.Follow Dev Z steps and inflate tyres correctly and see.

One other thing I always noticed that people join just to ask about a model or verify a problem and going missing..check history records.Hope Channa B will not follow their exit doors! anyways welcome Channa B onboard.

High fuel consumption is always a combination of one or more problems.To start with style of driving.

yup your right on the money about driving style Mini - if your right foot is light and you can feather the accelerator pedal and get the car to shift up gradually you're set to sip petrol as opposed to drink it - if you just push the pedal down and brake - as if they were on off switches!!! :rolleyes:

best thing is to get a feel for the gas pedal - then gently depress - you honestly wouldn't need to rev a 1.5L hard to get about in traffic - the worst for a car fuel consumption wise as well as as general wear and tear is erratic acceleration and suddend braking - all that stop start action will do your car nor your wallet any good - so go easy and try the suggested tip and see if there is any improvment

hope to hear your results Channa B :)

B)-->

QUOTE(Channa B @ Mar 21 2007, 04:49 PM) 43443[/snapback]

Hi people...,

I bought an unregistered Kia Rio (Automatic) about 3 weeks ago. I have now realized it is not very economical on patrol. Does between 7.6 to 8.7 km/litre in colombo with full time A/C. Is this normal for this model????

Please help me with your expert ideas on

1. What could the reason be?

2. How can I improve its performance?

BTW the engine size is 1500cc.

thank you guys

Channa B

MAchang you sure? My Bozza uses the same thing and hes quiet happy with it. I just asked around and he sais his one max 11 with trafic. I dont know how acurate that can be. He is quiet satis with the car. His number is JH-XXXX which means its older to your car too. Did you try out the agents?

How come an auto gear vehicle consumes more fuel, it seems ridiculous to me but it is obviously the case

U would think with the advancement of technology they would have developed an auto gear box that is as good as the manual, cuss for the daily commute most ppl would prefer the auto gear but still stick to the manual to save on fuel

How come an auto gear vehicle consumes more fuel, it seems ridiculous to me but it is obviously the case

U would think with the advancement of technology they would have developed an auto gear box that is as good as the manual, cuss for the daily commute most ppl would prefer the auto gear but still stick to the manual to save on fuel

that is sound logic - but i figure its got more to do with our driving conditions - the constant crawling though traffic ensures that we're in low gears always and if the throttle isn't coerced to upshift,it'll hang in low gear revving all the way up the rev band before it shifts only to come to a halt and repeat the vicious cycle -

can anyone share any view as to whether there is grave difference in fuel consumption figures on auto's and Manuals in a foreign highway/motorway scenario where its more crusing as oppsed to stop start driving?

Well what I forgot to mention was the car came with complete bodykit, spoiler and low profile tyres (195/50R15). 82V Tubeless.

Help please... :( My bank Balance is on a downfall....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the broader tires mean you grip the road more

this in turn means a nice ride and much better traction

but the downside is the more rubber that grips the surface - the more the contact and therefore friction of sorts

0 so in essence you need a tad more power to move the wheels - this in turn will result in increasing fuel consumption :(

but anything upto a maximum of 35mm over the standard tire width is fine

but as for the Body kit - that too can have an averse reaction - if by chance the kit is a custom designed one and thus will have a frame built into the fibreglass then the kit will weigh down the car! :(

again - more weight also means the car needs more power - which in turn translates to high fuel consumption...

but with all that if your getting 8kmpl i fell thats more than acceptable! :)

if you want better figures than that - then you gotta pump up the dough and go VVTi style :) or the MARUTI way@13+kmpl! :mellow:

well the broader tires mean you grip the road more

this in turn means a nice ride and much better traction

but the downside is the more rubber that grips the surface - the more the contact and therefore friction of sorts

0 so in essence you need a tad more power to move the wheels - this in turn will result in increasing fuel consumption :(

but anything upto a maximum of 35mm over the standard tire width is fine

but as for the Body kit - that too can have an averse reaction - if by chance the kit is a custom designed one and thus will have a frame built into the fibreglass then the kit will weigh down the car! :(

again - more weight also means the car needs more power - which in turn translates to high fuel consumption...

but with all that if your getting 8kmpl i fell thats more than acceptable! :)

if you want better figures than that - then you gotta pump up the dough and go VVTi style :) or the MARUTI way@13+kmpl! :mellow:

Cmon DevZ, a fiber glass body kit cant be that heavy to lower down the consumption for 8kmpl

B)-->

QUOTE(Channa B @ Mar 22 2007, 09:58 AM) 43547[/snapback]

Hey a bit OT but how your ride feel with 50s?

Cmon DevZ, a fiber glass body kit cant be that heavy to lower down the consumption for 8kmpl

Yes it can. Ask Mini to take u to Rohith's and lift some for urself. The only really lightweight ones I know of in SL are Dims stuff. There might be others I don't know of, to be fair, but thats all I know of.

Yes it can. Ask Mini to take u to Rohith's and lift some for urself. The only really lightweight ones I know of in SL are Dims stuff. There might be others I don't know of, to be fair, but thats all I know of.

mini said rohith does the lips in carbon fiber and that cost around 30k.

OK, then ask Gaya for some kit place and go see there.

nah, i was going to go for the lips and the spoiler but since its 30k im giving it a rest. Already spent on the alloys and the header already for the fiscal year...Got to wait untill finance gets stable :(

nah, i was going to go for the lips and the spoiler but since its 30k im giving it a rest. Already spent on the alloys and the header already for the fiscal year...Got to wait untill finance gets stable :(

I didn't say go buy something. I said go lift something and see how heavy it is.

To be frank a 10-50kg add of weight will have almost zero or no significant change on fuel consumption.Added rear spoiler or a lip set or a side skirking made of complete composition of fibre glass will not make a noteworthy reduction of fuel consumption.

I totally agree with the comment on Dim's light weight kits.But he is not the only one who manufacture special compound lightweight kits!

B)-->

QUOTE(Channa B @ Mar 22 2007, 09:28 AM) 43547[/snapback]

Me Bro ran an automatic pulsar back in 2000 and fitted it with 15" Alloys with 195/50 R15 Eagle F1 Tyres.

Fuel economy went from 8.5 down to about 6.5 km/l.

Economy improved only when the tyres were pumped up pretty hard but then the ride was pretty hard. Fortunately most of our running back then was on Colombo carpet roads only so we persisted with them because the improvement to the handling and cornering of the car was too good to give up..... :P

B)-->

QUOTE(Channa B @ Mar 23 2007, 04:03 PM) 43721[/snapback]

Superb...the car feels very very controlled.

you mean with 50s? dont you feel the pebles to small bumps which everyone say they get?

i'm running pretty much the same set up and size on the Carina and i can vouch for the fact that all this "its uncormortable" theory is slightly off

the performance increase in the form of road holding and improved handling is immense and worth a slight increase in consumption - but then again having said that i haven't really noticed such a glaring difference running a larger than stock size

if at all i'd be inclined to say the ride is better and more solid with the 50's and you can read the road through the steering as it gives more feedback than stock - its a good mod , those tires :)

i'm running pretty much the same set up and size on the Carina and i can vouch for the fact that all this "its uncormortable" theory is slightly off

the performance increase in the form of road holding and improved handling is immense and worth a slight increase in consumption - but then again having said that i haven't really noticed such a glaring difference running a larger than stock size

if at all i'd be inclined to say the ride is better and more solid with the 50's and you can read the road through the steering as it gives more feedback than stock - its a good mod , those tires :)

The vios you saw in our g2g had 16" and it feels fine. The thing is they have replaced the shocks and even it got all four disc brakes

Edited by Hola