• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Whats The Best Plug?

Hola

Question

corect me if im wrong but iridium plugs are far better than platinum right? A set of plugs can be bought around 8k max at good ol Motarkade. But the dudes at my car servicing place (the agents) are so paranoid on this swap

corect me if im wrong but iridium plugs are far better than platinum right? A set of plugs can be bought around 8k max at good ol Motarkade. But the dudes at my car servicing place (the agents) are so paranoid on this swap

yeap as i know IRI plugs are better, bt its a waste of money (IMHO)

NGK is a fair bet,but don't discount Champion Plugs

Irridium plugs have a tainted rap sheet amoungst main stream mechinics & agents - for what reason i cant comprehend :huh:

Its like a norm, go to a shop where they sell preformance stuff and they always try to sell in a couple saying "sir, if you want speed go for these plugs sir".

NGK is a reputed brand but there is also this brand known as Neology (not sure) who offer silver tipped plugs which according to them conducts electricity far more quicker thus giving a bigger spark and better combustion.. I too have heard bout iridium plugs being something of a choice for most people but the reasons behind i am so not sure...

If the sparks you are having right now gives the best spark for the air/fuel ignition then upgrading the spark would do you no good (how you are to find this out i am not sure.. somebody please detail..).. the spark plug wires too are of important as they distribute the current to the spark plugs.. though there is an argument saying that the stock wires would work far more efficiently than aftermarket ones.. once again neology has some pretty good stuff too..

Zz

but more than the Brand of plugs you should be worried about the HEAT RANGE of a particular plug

in essence for a normal car in basic conditions of "Hot" type plug is reccomended

but for performance engines with high torque outputs and forced induction systems a "cold"er plug is best

the Irridium vs Platinum vs Silver/ Gold / Copper tip etc pans out of the basis of the heat resistance and melting point of each of the metals - given the high operating temprature in the cylinders the way the materials perform will impact the performance and durability of the plug

in short if your running an normal car go for a Hot type plug which can be idetified by the model number of the plug - for ex: a standard replacement plug for a Toyota Corolla 1800cc is NGK's BKR5ES-11

that figure at the middle of the model number shows the heat level - 5 means a "hot" plug and a higher number would be seen in a high performance car (eg: Bugati Veyron = level 7 - "cold" typr plug)

plugs are designed to match the heat ranges withing a particular engines cylinders and a certain level of minmum heat is requierd to burn so using a high performance Cold plug on a bone stock car is not only of no use but depremental as the basic functions maybe compromised by the unconventional level of heat dissipation and as result unburnt carbon may result in plug fouling or misfires

if not severly modified always stick by manufacturers specifictions or the OE replacement part

Whether it be a stock standard car or a modified one, I would look at what the engine combustions required optimum spark is and its associated properties and then go out there looking for a plug that fits my engine's requirments.

Most brands turn out good plugs. It's the matching that is crucial.

:huh:

Attn Mods/Admin - some error occured while posting and it kept going to a white screen with an error message - but now the single reply is shown as multiple posts - kindly delete one of the three

:unsure:

apologies if it was an error on my part - but it jus went nuts and all of a sudden i saw 3 of the same on the screen :(

more of the lag caused by dialups.. wonder where da modz are..

For the Corollas the Toyota Platinum is quite suitable from what i hear than the iridium plugs.. nice info DevZ.. i did wonder from where the carbon appears o the spark plugs but then again kinda stupid question.. stil learning :)

Zz

wonder where da modz are..

MADZ- Busy with anti piracy DVD modifications :lam:

DUNCAN-partying with bushmen :food-smiley-004:

DILLONGT-fighting with US customs...to release a load of DVDs recevd from SL :deal:

SHARKSTER-gone fishing :to_clue:

PERICLES-sick with food poisoning :sad-smiley-068:

:lol:

Whats next?? we miss you all?? :lol:

DILLONGT-fighting with US customs...to release a load of DVDs recevd from SL :deal:

hope da hard effort o anti piracy stayz effective ;)

@ overdrive - thanks for the redirection dude.. good info! :)

Zz

Edited by neXGen

:lol: you ok brother? My thoughts are below

IPB Image

Whether it be a stock standard car or a modified one, I would look at what the engine combustions required optimum spark is and its associated properties and then go out there looking for a plug that fits my engine's requirments.

Most brands turn out good plugs. It's the matching that is crucial.

its always then good to stick for factory standards and the manual recomended plugs

NGK is a reputed brand but there is also this brand known as Neology (not sure) who offer silver tipped plugs which according to them conducts electricity far more quicker thus giving a bigger spark and better combustion.. I too have heard bout iridium plugs being something of a choice for most people but the reasons behind i am so not sure...

If the sparks you are having right now gives the best spark for the air/fuel ignition then upgrading the spark would do you no good (how you are to find this out i am not sure.. somebody please detail..).. the spark plug wires too are of important as they distribute the current to the spark plugs.. though there is an argument saying that the stock wires would work far more efficiently than aftermarket ones.. once again neology has some pretty good stuff too..

Zz

I would agree that NGK is best but strange as it may seem , from experience i've found that Denso s work better on Toyotas than NGK.

In the past I've wasted pots of money trying out all sorts of so called 'Performance plugs' such as splitfire and gold tipped ones etc but they turned out to be totally useless.

Nothing works better than the Manufacturer recommended ones and make sure u buy from agents.

Also on the newer cars with electronic ignition you run the risk of damaging your coils and other electrical components if you experiment with the wrong spark plugs. Especially on model which platinum tipped plugs are recommended. (Bluebirds, Xtrails etc.)

its always then good to stick for factory standards and the manual recomended plugs

bayagulla!!! :action-smiley-060:

I would agree that NGK is best but strange as it may seem , from experience i've found that Denso s work better on Toyotas than NGK.

In the past I've wasted pots of money trying out all sorts of so called 'Performance plugs' such as splitfire and gold tipped ones etc but they turned out to be totally useless.

Nothing works better than the Manufacturer recommended ones and make sure u buy from agents.

Also on the newer cars with electronic ignition you run the risk of damaging your coils and other electrical components if you experiment with the wrong spark plugs. Especially on model which platinum tipped plugs are recommended. (Bluebirds, Xtrails etc.)

I was told by porkster the same, that performance plugs (as they say) such as iridium and platinum tipped stuff are jst a marketin scheme.. n from wut i read, reputed branded spark plugs is supposed to have more impact o larger engines.. i stuck to the platinum range under his advice n there has been an improvement n acceleration n overal economy minutely..

@ DevZ - could you explain a bit further bout what the hot n cold sparks are dude? didnt quite get it.. i take it that colder spark plugs are required in engines which is made to run at a capacity higher than the stock such as nos, turbo etc.. and that hot are recommended for normal engine.. what would be the consequence of installing a cold on a norm engine?

Zz

What ever brand that the manufacturers dump in originaly into the car is the way to go.

Plugs are electrical conductors.. read up on the best materials that do this- Copper is by far a better electrical conductor that Iridium or Platinum or Gold. and standard plugs are normally copper.

For Honda's NGK-R is the best. Not worth investing in anything flashy.

So is your intelligence...

So is your intelligence...

:rolleyes: thanks

bayagulla!!! :action-smiley-060:

I was told by porkster the same, that performance plugs (as they say) such as iridium and platinum tipped stuff are jst a marketin scheme.. n from wut i read, reputed branded spark plugs is supposed to have more impact o larger engines.. i stuck to the platinum range under his advice n there has been an improvement n acceleration n overal economy minutely..

@ DevZ - could you explain a bit further bout what the hot n cold sparks are dude? didnt quite get it.. i take it that colder spark plugs are required in engines which is made to run at a capacity higher than the stock such as nos, turbo etc.. and that hot are recommended for normal engine.. what would be the consequence of installing a cold on a norm engine?

Zz

Yeah porkster never adviced me on plug swap. But plugs with carbon infection will give low prefromance

:rolleyes: thanks

Yeah porkster never adviced me on plug swap. But plugs with carbon infection will give low prefromance

Read up the links given by Overdrive.. good stuff.. ya ll understand more bout why carbon gets deposited..

Zz

I'm not in the mood for ur BS. I've been in office for three straight days without going home at all, and I only need a very small transgression from u to raise u up further. Try not to push it.

Glad u miss us, but we have things to attend to in our life too. And FYI, ur quite wrong.

Edited by Pericles