• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Diesel Suv For Permit

madmax

Best Diesel SUV for Duty Free Permit  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel
    • Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel
    • Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel
    • Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Guys,

Needs some advice on the new permit

A friend of my dad is willing to give his permit for me(For a price), and he is retiring in few months time

Is there a possibility with this new permit to transfer it after owner retires from the govenment service?.

Im still bit hesitant to get this coz there a are new regulations with tranfering until car is 5 years old.

Thanks in advance

Nipuna

HI Guys,

A friend of my dad is willing to give his permit for me(For a price), and he is retiring in few months time

Is there a possibility with this new permit to transfer it after owner retires from the govenment service?.

Im still bit hesitant to get this coz there a are new regulations with tranfering until car is 5 years old.

Thanks in advance

Nipuna

Hey def, willing to buy ur permit .......... LOL

Went and took a look at the Montero Sports diesel which is being offered for permit holders, its kind of basic inside with a really cheap plasticky interior.

Was very disappointed by what I saw. Would love to get my hands on a diesel Toyota, cant wait for Toyota to show thier goods!

HI Guys,

Thanks in advance

Nipuna

Nipuna,

My mom also getting this permit so I gathered some info.

Your uncle cannot transfer the Book to your name untill 5 years. hence Book it self will be keep by the Import/Export Ministry untill the 5 years time.

Government will put special mark on the registration number plates so it can be Identify any where.

Legislation clearly said that the Owner of the car cannot rent,sell, or give it to any one. If you got cought by doing that your uncle might have to pay the whole tax.

But during the past years people have sell there permits and nothing happens to them.(Not that I knw)

Customs may check the vehicle once a while.( So far it never happens)

Cheers,

DCL

Nipuna,

My mom also getting this permit so I gathered some info.

Your uncle cannot transfer the Book to your name untill 5 years. hence Book it self will be keep by the Import/Export Ministry untill the 5 years time.

Government will put special mark on the registration number plates so it can be Identify any where.

Legislation clearly said that the Owner of the car cannot rent,sell, or give it to any one. If you got cought by doing that your uncle might have to pay the whole tax.

But during the past years people have sell there permits and nothing happens to them.(Not that I knw)

Cheers,

DCL

Hey DCl,

Thanks for the info.... looks like its a too much of a risk as even if I get it under my uncles name, i will not be able to sell it when ever I want to.

I found a copy of the gov circular for vehicle permits here

http://documents.gov.lk/circulars/2007/Veh...otarvehical.pdf

Nipuna

Which permit are you on about here??????

Well I know few cases where customs cease the vehicles that were brought under Hotel, BOI and Embassy permits, which had very strict guidelines about transferring the vehicle. Once it is cased there's no way around it but to pay the full duty fee.

Moderators- suggest we put a sticky on this post. Just to keep the information updated.

I'd like to know if anyone has acquired a vehicle on this new permit...guess that would be the only way to find out what needs to be done/happen.

Which permit are you on about here??????

Well I know few cases where customs cease the vehicles that were brought under Hotel, BOI and Embassy permits, which had very strict guidelines about transferring the vehicle. Once it is cased there's no way around it but to pay the full duty fee.

Permit that issuing to government employees!!

• 3 weeks later...

Micro is offering the facelifted Kyron for the permit category of US$16000. It will be powered by the Mercedes derived 5 Cylinder 2.7ltr common rail diesel as opposed to the 2 ltr they assemble locally.

IPB Image

IPB Image

They seem to have realized the backend was ugly and revised it.

Anyone here got experiences with Ssanyongs? Or even the Micro Assembled Kyron? Will it be a worthwhile choice to consider?

Edited by madmax

Micro is offering the facelifted Kyron for the permit category of US$16000. It will be powered by the Mercedes derived 5 Cylinder 2.7ltr common rail diesel as opposed to the 2 ltr they assemble locally.

They seem to have realized the backend was ugly and revised it.

Anyone here got experiences with Ssanyongs? Or even the Micro Assembled Kyron? Will it be a worthwhile choice to consider?

Do u call it a "face"lift if u revise the backend? :lol:

• 1 month later...
As of now the diesel SUVs confirmed as available for the permit are the Montero sport and Hyundai Tucson. However the following list inlcudes posible additions in the future...

Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel

Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel

Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel

Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel

Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel

Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

In ur opnion what is the best choice out of these? Back you choice with comments. This poll will help a lot of interested parties to decide.

I would go for Toyota, None of others are not belived be reliable according australian opinion, Mitsubishi got bad name in Australia due to their engine problems, U can not rely on Hyundai, Nissan xtrail is a front wheel drive, I think Toyota may come with 8 seats and it is a real four wheel drive

I would go for Toyota, None of others are not belived be reliable according australian opinion, Mitsubishi got bad name in Australia due to their engine problems, U can not rely on Hyundai, Nissan xtrail is a front wheel drive, I think Toyota may come with 8 seats and it is a real four wheel drive

Alright Aussie boy, look this up

http://www.nissan.com.au/xtrail/

See the part where it says "4x4system"? Do u understand what that means?

How about this quote from Autoguide Australia?

document.write(getaQuote());

"Note that we have unreservedly used the term 4WD. This isn’t one of your soft-roaders with lots of looks, but not a lot of traction. Nissan X-Trail is not atoy. [it is] aimed at the owner who wants to get pretty serious about off-road driving. Not full-on down-and-very-dirty serious, that’s what the Nissan Patrol is built for, but serious enough to let you tackle just about any recreational off-roading with ease.

- Ewan Kennedy, www.autoguide.com.au 4.2.2004

u can look up the rest here.

http://www.nissan.com.au/xtrail/quotes.asp

Front wheel drive, is it? Its not a full time four wheel drive. As explained here.

"One of the Nissan X-TRAIL’s big features is a complex 4WD system that offers very good traction through a variety of settings. Most drivers simply leave it in ‘automatic’ as that’s the best for variable surfaces. It can be used on all roads and will happily adapt to bitumen if required"

So the Australian opinion is that it is "not belived be reliable", huh? Or is that just ur own misinformed opinion? A bit more thought the next time?

Alright Aussie boy, look this up

http://www.nissan.com.au/xtrail/

See the part where it says "4x4system"? Do u understand what that means?

How about this quote from Autoguide Australia?

document.write(getaQuote());

u can look up the rest here.

http://www.nissan.com.au/xtrail/quotes.asp

Front wheel drive, is it? Its not a full time four wheel drive. As explained here.

"One of the Nissan X-TRAIL’s big features is a complex 4WD system that offers very good traction through a variety of settings. Most drivers simply leave it in ‘automatic’ as that’s the best for variable surfaces. It can be used on all roads and will happily adapt to bitumen if required"

So the Australian opinion is that it is "not belived be reliable", huh? Or is that just ur own misinformed opinion? A bit more thought the next time?

Cool down mate, That's how Nissan people say, Just chicks and mums running kids to the school drive this Xtrail in here, Nissan Patrol is a highly recommended off roader second to Land curiser not the Xtrail, People buy Suzuki 4x4s if they want to go off roading

Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

In order of preference. Prado comes on top though the Xtrail is equally capable to tackles 'most' offroading conditions.

In dubai its a different case where ground clearance is very important in desert driving and a good amount of low end torque. I had an '07 Pathfinder for 3months, an old RAV4 could beat me up a dune because it had such a low clearance. Got rid of it and got a Fortuner 4.0 which is an amazing desert vehicle and at Rs3,000,000/- (Dubai price) there is no other 4x4 any where close to that price :) I'd challenge any Patrol or Landcruiser up any dune with this 'poor man's 4x4'.

thumbs up to the Prado&Xtrail ... Mitsubishi needs to work more on their diesel engines and Hyundai on their reliability.

Cool down mate, That's how Nissan people say, Just chicks and mums running kids to the school drive this Xtrail in here, Nissan Patrol is a highly recommended off roader second to Land curiser not the Xtrail, People buy Suzuki 4x4s if they want to go off roading

Ur missing the whole point. We are looking for an image vehicle for a permit, not a serious off road experience. And we are talking specifically about the Diesel. Don't know about it? Then drop it.

Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

In order of preference. Prado comes on top though the Xtrail is equally capable to tackles 'most' offroading conditions.

In dubai its a different case where ground clearance is very important in desert driving and a good amount of low end torque. I had an '07 Pathfinder for 3months, an old RAV4 could beat me up a dune because it had such a low clearance. Got rid of it and got a Fortuner 4.0 which is an amazing desert vehicle and at Rs3,000,000/- (Dubai price) there is no other 4x4 any where close to that price :) I'd challenge any Patrol or Landcruiser up any dune with this 'poor man's 4x4'.

thumbs up to the Prado&Xtrail ... Mitsubishi needs to work more on their diesel engines and Hyundai on their reliability.

Good answer

Ur missing the whole point. We are looking for an image vehicle for a permit, not a serious off road experience. And we are talking specifically about the Diesel. Don't know about it? Then drop it.

there is no image for those korean makes and nissans even for Prado (may be in S Lanka). If U are after image buy a BMW X5, Porsche Caynayne, VW Tourage, Volvo (can not remember the model).

IF you do need to go off road buy a car or van of something whats the point of them having driving in the cities. Anything with good ground clearance, and proper tyres would handle most of the terrain those can go

there is no image for those korean makes and nissans even for Prado (may be in S Lanka). If U are after image buy a BMW X5, Porsche Caynayne, VW Tourage, Volvo (can not remember the model).

IF you do need to go off road buy a car or van of something whats the point of them having driving in the cities. Anything with good ground clearance, and proper tyres would handle most of the terrain those can go

one of the reasons why people in sl buy suv's is that our city roads are horrible and worse than the roads outstation. so it makes sense to have an suv rather than ruin a car on them. with the crazy car prices these days i reckon just about any japanese vehicle has a decent image. only the minority can afford the models you mentioned.