• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Diesel Suv For Permit

madmax

Best Diesel SUV for Duty Free Permit  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel
    • Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel
    • Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel
    • Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel
    • Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

As of now the diesel SUVs confirmed as available for the permit are the Montero sport and Hyundai Tucson. However the following list inlcudes posible additions in the future...

Hyundai Tucson 2.0l Diesel

Hyundai SantaFe 2.2l Diesel

Mitsubishi Motero 2.8 Diesel

Mitsubishi Montero sport 2.5l Diesel

Nissan Xtrail 2.2l Diesel

Toyota Prado 2.8l Diesel

In ur opnion what is the best choice out of these? Back you choice with comments. This poll will help a lot of interested parties to decide.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good poll machang,

But fear is the category who are eligible to get this permit will be selling their permits off and it will be soo hard to get hold one of them. The goverment should have given 20,000permits each for each category

Good poll machang,

But fear is the category who are eligible to get this permit will be selling their permits off and it will be soo hard to get hold one of them. The goverment should have given 20,000permits each for each category

I also think the same. Only worry is how much the permits sell in the market. I hear the seretaries permit are now going for 5 Mil!

But personally I already have secured a 2.8l permit! that's why I'm trying to decide what to buy.

Anyone kind enough to give the approx. CIF values of the above vehicles?

Cheers

Tucson and Motero sport will be at 16000USD, the rest will be hovering around 18000USD

hey madmax...this is sharminda

was going to tell u on starting a poll for the permit.. B)

guys just a thought...isnt the grand vitara available as well for the CIF value..

what are the features available on the prado?..madmax u told me that its not full option and its not dual ac..

hey madmax...this is sharminda

was going to tell u on starting a poll for the permit.. B)

guys just a thought...isnt the grand vitara available as well for the CIF value..

what are the features available on the prado?..madmax u told me that its not full option and its not dual ac..

Last time I checked with agents they said Grand Vitara diesel is not available for the Asian market, even though there is a 2l diesel model available for the UK market.

It seems that the Prado will not be available, given the current limits. However I checked out one that was brought for the secretaries permit at the toyota showroom. It is full option minus rear air-con and the 3rd row seats. Apart from that it looks like similar.

Edited by madmax

Prado would be my choice if the permit is available.

Better ride and build quality, Lower maintenance/ Reliability, Fuel Economy (Over the Intercooled Turbo) and Secondhand value over the Montero.

But more people find the Montero more plush and luxurious looking. Comes with more options than the Prado on offer.

The new Terios is also a decent buy on the 1500cc bracket.

I don't know how easy it will be buying a vehicle on a permit as the document released gives some strict conditions of non-transferability, a marking on the number plate etc. Besides you will forever be in pins cos you don't know when the customs will come and seize the vehicle....like they used to with the Hotel Permits.

I also think the same. Only worry is how much the permits sell in the market. I hear the seretaries permit are now going for 5 Mil!

But personally I already have secured a 2.8l permit! that's why I'm trying to decide what to buy.

Wow, lucky you! How much did you get it for?

Tucson and Motero sport will be at 16000USD, the rest will be hovering around 18000USD

When we say montero, is it the 2007 version, must be right?

Prado would be my choice if the permit is available.

Better ride and build quality, Lower maintenance/ Reliability, Fuel Economy (Over the Intercooled Turbo) and Secondhand value over the Montero.

But more people find the Montero more plush and luxurious looking. Comes with more options than the Prado on offer.

The new Terios is also a decent buy on the 1500cc bracket.

I don't know how easy it will be buying a vehicle on a permit as the document released gives some strict conditions of non-transferability, a marking on the number plate etc. Besides you will forever be in pins cos you don't know when the customs will come and seize the vehicle....like they used to with the Hotel Permits.

using the permit for a small terios is a waste, better buy a montero or a prado which will have better resale value.

Isnt our Honda boys offering any? any news anyone?

i am also keeping an eye on this!

as milindu said' there will be MORE restrictions this time. different special no. plates will be issued for all the 20,000 vehicles, and as he said' if its used by someone else 'still the customs can come and seize the vehicle, ALSO keep in mind that customs will do it passionately as they will be getting ther own quota officially. and many other tracking systems..

last time, there was a friend of my dad' bought a permit, got a brand new car and kept it locked in a garage not using it (he had a another vehicle) and after the 3 years only it was taken out and sold. genuine millage :P hehe ' its true story! and it happend in SL ;) 'cos it was a considerable profit after 3 years (not used/brandnew/etc)

i too will decide on a Prado! (wish will have a chance to decide :) ) all points by milindu is rite!!

- last time permits also at the start went for around 5, then 4. we bought 2 permits each @ 2.5 lac. and after that all other permits we bought for 1 lac, and some we bought even for 90 :P this idiots screwed the thing! stopping/baring all the permits at once :( ther are some permits left still.. anyone interested?? (i mean the OLD ones/previous time) :P

- in the start it will be crazy prices, but then it will low down, but this time have to wait and see. but practically all 20,000 ppl those who get it officialy wont be able to purchase vehicles them selfs. soooo this time too ther will be enough others those who will benifit!

Edited by Kim

MadMax why not a FREELANDER with a TD4 2.0L Diesel unit?

i dunno if Front*er are bringing it in-but i have seen the odd foreign national driving such a spec so i assume NGO's have got em down

IPB Image

The TD4 is a said to be a good motor with nice punch n is said to be very frugal as well

interior is far better than any Jap vehicle and if the agents bring in the top spec one you'll have the option of a Triptronic box , Harmon Kardon sound system etc! :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

The LR Discovery 3 is an ideal chioce given its 2.7TD unit,but i doubt it'll fit into the CIF limit :(

no, cmon the parts will be expensive than a jap suv

Free. :D

Wow...

All you guys out there looking for jobs - TRY GOVERMENT JOBS!!

given that its a Brand New purchase it ought to come with a 3 year COMPREHENSIVE warranty from the agents so that shouldn't be all that much of a concern

You mean freelander agents here gives a 3 year comprehensive waranty? :blink:

The LR Discovery 3 is an ideal chioce given its 2.7TD unit,but i doubt it'll fit into the CIF limit :(

I doubt even the Freelander will fit into the CIF value.

if you don't have rear ac in the prado, i suggest you stay away from it. it's too big of a vehicle to be running on single ac..

next option would be the montero...they are good but i really wish they did something with the rear seats... they are a bit uncomfy..hope the 07's have better rear seats

if you don't have rear ac in the prado, i suggest you stay away from it. it's too big of a vehicle to be running on single ac..

next option would be the montero...they are good but i really wish they did something with the rear seats... they are a bit uncomfy..hope the 07's have better rear seats

Just contacted AM*, the diesel Xtrail is out, as it is not being offer brandnew to SL.

Apparently that leaves us only with the Montero Sports. But for that also discussions are under way with MMC japan Hope Unim* can offer atleast this one.

I know this may stray from your original idea...but have you given thought to the new L200 Pickup? IMO, it has one hell of a presence in terms of looks- saw one on the road y'day. Unimo has the 2.5 turbo on its website, but i'm not sure if thats the same blinged out version i saw y'day.

Note, that the Montero Sports is based on the L200 chassis/frame. So its not as comfortable as the Montero. In terms of looks, its getting quite old now (design has been around since 2001)

Good luck in choosing!