• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Comments About Yesterdays Accident At Induruwa

Velocity

HOLA thanks for the pics.

I have never been so sorry for my self for seing so many charred bodies..... Heard that 23 innocent people died. Is it a Just Accident or Is it the Lack of Discipline among Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers.

I would like your comments on this and If some can please post the pics of the Accident Only( Not the Pictures of Charred Bodies ).

Seriously Our Goverement Needs to Increase Regulations on Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers. Half of our Sri Lankan Trucks are so age OLD..... not even roadworthy.

Please what do you think the Goverement Should Implement to Avoid such Accidents in the Future ????

:(

I have never been so sorry for my self for seing so many charred bodies..... Heard that 23 innocent people died. Is it a Just Accident or Is it the Lack of Discipline among Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers.

I would like your comments on this and If some can please post the pics of the Accident Only( Not the Pictures of Charred Bodies ).

Seriously Our Goverement Needs to Increase Regulations on Truck Drivers and Bus Drivers. Half of our Sri Lankan Trucks are so age OLD..... not even roadworthy.

Please what do you think the Goverement Should Implement to Avoid such Accidents in the Future ????

Terrible, I just saw one pic on the paper and it looked horrible machan... :blink:

I fully agree, regulations need to be tightened up A LOT, and not just for trucks and buses, but also for Three wheelers

btw, can you forward the pics you have? [email protected].. thanks

Ya Dimathan Saw the pics bt if that Bus had Emergency Exit, then the Death toll would be less than this :(

Ya Dimathan Saw the pics bt if that Bus had Emergency Exit, then the Death toll would be less than this :(

paper says it was a newly registered bus.... shouldnt it have one? weren't they required by law anyway?

Edited by Supra_Natural

What a tragedy just before New Year!

I hope our damn corrupt ,blind cops open their eyes and start pulling up the thousands of errant bus drivers.

It's sad that they'll wait for something like this to act. And that too only for a short while till everyone forgets about this.

Then they'll get back to copping cars that do 60kmph in a 50kmph zone in order to earn more money thru bribes, while the real danger is still out there :angry: !

I also feel very sorry abt the incident. Can’t even imagine...

This is another incident...

IPB Image

happened a week ago. The container tyres had no threads at all, just flat. And the brake distance was some 60 meters. The car was dragged for some 10-20 meters and stopped colliding with another car. If not for that.... Mmmmm.... You can see what’s parked near. Near escape...

Totally agree with Velocity!

Its pity the thet nearby hotel staff couldnt use their 100+ fire extinguishers effectively.Only few were used and heard that people were scared to come closer to the ill fated bus.

Someone please send me pictures. [email protected]

Yeah Guys. Its just pathetic. These Leyland Busses and Trucks Willfully cuton to pedistrians and cars..

Cos they know that they will not get hurt.

Mini These are some pics. But i will send you more :(

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

paper says it was a newly registered bus.... shouldnt it have one? weren't they required by law anyway?

Yeah NA-xxxx as i know the law says Emergency exit is required bt who knows, this is the Sri Lankan way :( what a disaster before the new year

I also feel very sorry abt the incident. Can’t even imagine...

This is another incident...

IPB Image

happened a week ago. The container tyres had no threads at all, just flat. And the brake distance was some 60 meters. The car was dragged for some 10-20 meters and stopped colliding with another car. If not for that.... Mmmmm.... You can see what’s parked near. Near escape...

LOL, i seriously cannot understand how that happend.

Uta Honda kane parak thamai denda one pissek wage elewata :D

These truck buggers work late shifts...many times i've seen them drunk also...worst of all they don't give two hoots about speed limits and basic road rules... All because they sit high up there and and they know everyone else have to get outta the way...

Their employers also should shoulder some responsibility to keep certain standards especially on high-risk vehicles like big trucks, buses etc.

I was doing a shoot near the spot couple of weeks back early in the morning and almost all the buses and trucks were thrashing down that road...

Unlike most of the cars...these vehicles are rarely in good mechanical shape...

government should implement existing regulations more strictly and introduce new ones where needed...

Judging by the pics...it looks like the truck had head on rammed the bus' diesel tank are :(

feel so sorry for all those innocent victims... :(

By the looks of things sadly the emergency exit would not have been operable as its usually on the right hand side towards the back in TATA buses, and in this case people would have been able to smash through the glass and get out, but the fire might have interfered with it I guess,

very sad,

IPB Image

If somebody hasn’t seen the incident, can’t even guess what the directions of the vehicles are. I saw the impact with a big thud. The car has turned from a by lane, but safely. Truck must have done atleast 70kmph and he could not control the vehicle. For the impact container got twisted from the body.

You are welcome Velo. I sent the mail to Gihan,DevZ,Isuru,Nexgen, sorry Supra i tried to copy your MSN id but it was too long. The photos were very sensitive. The bodies are realy "roasted". A tear to the eye comes in as we think what went on the victim's mind when they were roasting alive. The goverment should be accused as it is now clear that this bus should have had exit doors and we should have more proper controls

Whats that? :D New car model of Honda? :P j/k

Yeah NA-xxxx as i know the law says Emergency exit is required bt who knows, this is the Sri Lankan way :( what a disaster before the new year

Yes, yesterday's news said from begining of april there has been a 25% increase of vehicle accidents in SL

A very sad day it was... thanks for the pics Hola.. it was just to gruesome to have a look at it.. i guess even though the impact would have been to the bus's tank, the flames wouldve grown outta control cuz of the beer that container was carrying..

And here we have cops speed gunning down innocent people happily crusing with the 60s whereas the truck menace increases.. I doubt whether the police really looks into the mechanical condition of these trucks.. I have seem some bald tyres even on buses and heavy load trucks which would seriously have a negative impact on safety..

Any news about what that beer company is doing about this? it should be a part of their social responsibility understanding that it was their truck which collided with the bus.. sympathies to all those affected ..

Zz

And here we have cops speed gunning down innocent people happily crusing with the 60s whereas the truck menace increases.. I doubt whether the police really looks into the mechanical condition of these trucks.. I have seem some bald tyres even on buses and heavy load trucks which would seriously have a negative impact on safety..

Any news about what that beer company is doing about this? it should be a part of their social responsibility understanding that it was their truck which collided with the bus.. sympathies to all those affected ..

Zz

yeah neXGen totally agree with u, past few weeks some of my friends had many trouble with their exhaust noices , cops caught so many for loud exhaust and told them to come to the police station after fixing a propere silencer and show the car to them, As i know Exhaust sounds dont kill anyone :P

Bt Large buses & lorrys make more exhaust noice than those cars and like neXGen said bald tyres is a major issue

Anyway that beer company should pay money to those ppl and i heard the government is goin to pay 120000 x 22 for the families, Bt money isnt everything :(

Edited by GihanFX

it really is sad that this happened and right near the new year time too....but it's also an eye opener (another one) for all of us. always be careful when you drive...even if you are a good driver...there are bad ones out there too

as for what the govt should/can do...i think we are beating a dead horse on this one...

the unusual thing i heard yesterday was that it was NOT the bus drivers fault..

Hola you didnt send pics to miniace neda ? BAD

:D

By the way In a Accident Diesel Explodes and Petrol Does Not.

Anyone has info on Safety Precautions when using a Diesel vehicale. Remember the Train Accident at Kurunegala. The Same Thing Happend to that Bus too. May there might be Defect in the Leyland Busses with there Diesel Tank.

Hola you didnt send pics to miniace neda ? BAD

:D

Why me,you guys are friends no? Partying etc. Even forgeting me <_<

it really is sad that this happened and right near the new year time too....but it's also an eye opener (another one) for all of us. always be careful when you drive...even if you are a good driver...there are bad ones out there too

as for what the govt should/can do...i think we are beating a dead horse on this one...

the unusual thing i heard yesterday was that it was NOT the bus drivers fault..

Yeah, its always someone else's fault and that someone could be you and me. How did the fire start? I thought petrol is makes the big flames

Anyway that beer company should pay money to those ppl and i heard the government is goin to pay 120000 x 22 for the families, Bt money isnt everything :(

Beer Company has agreed to pay up..from LBO

Sri Lanka brewery firm offers to compensate accident victims

April 11, 2007 (LBO) - A Sri Lankan brewer whose truck was involved in a fatal bus-truck crash on Tuesday, is offering cash to accident victims, an official said Wednesday.

Local brewer, Lion Brewery Ceylon Ltd, is offering to pay 125,000 rupees (1,200 dollars) to relatives for each of the victims who died, while those who survived will be paid 25,000 rupees (231 dollars), its Director Finance, Ranil Gunatilake said.

At least 22 people died and 57 others were wounded when a truck packed with beer bottles crashed into a crowded passenger bus in the the coastal resort town of Induruwa, 70 kilometers (43 miles) south of Colombo.

Most of the victims were trapped in the wreckage and burnt to death, Kosgoda police said adding that eight women, a five year old child and the two drivers were among the dead.

Only seven out of the dead have been identified so far, police said adding that initialy investigations showed that both drivers were at fault. However, Police are unable to press charges since both drivers died.

"As at 10.30 a.m. our distributor in Galle has said that relatives of six of the victims have come forward to make a claim," Gunatilake said.

"Since the transport of our goods is outsourced, the vehicle involved in this accident does not belong to our company nor was the driver our employee," Lion Brewery said in a statement.

"However, we feel deeply for those affected by the tragedy and hence we, together with our service provider have decided to be of assistance on a purely voluntary basis," the statement added.

Sri Lankan roads are some of the most dangerous in the world with accidents claiming at least 2,000 lives each year on a poorly-maintained network choked with more than two million vehicles.

God Bless the hotel and the hotel staff who had rushed into the spot to help the victims. I listend to them on the news and the drama has been bad

They said the injured people who were saved was done with great dificulty

it was another sad accident and what's even more sad is that nothing will change. In most developed countries, 23 ppl burning alive would call for drastic measure as well as harsh and effective punishments to prevent such incidents. In SL, we will talk about it for day or two and then tune into the SL/NZ match. Life is so cheap in SL and expendable. Atleast in this forum we can ask some questions and try to get some answers.

and now for CSI-SL:

1.was it a diesel bus? how did it catch fire that fast? (fuel came into contact with hot exhaust pipe?)

2.sadly all exits were blocked after the bus rolled over. This is the very same reason that busses (esp school busses) have rear ext doors and even roof hatches. It wont take much effort to retrofit the busses with such emergency exts (it will be worth saving at least a few more lives).

We should engineer ways to make our ageing busses safer and more efficient cos it will take a miracle to get our cops and drivers to abide the law. Chances are, these freak accidents will still occur (less often) even if our cops were doing their jobs and the truck drivers gave a crap about others. IF the truck driver was at fault, the victims (and families) need to go after the trucking company and not just the driver. They should even look into if any businesses that used the trucking company had any knowledge that the trucking company had any previous incidents, safety violations etc. If so, they should be made public, esp if the clients of the trucking company are big MNCs then make these gruesome tales available to their clents overseas..... (EDIT* didnt know the company was LBO at the time I wrote this)

or maybe I should stop and we should all get ready for the match....

Edited by dhp

May there might be Defect in the Leyland Busses with there Diesel Tank.

Its the truck tank exploded this time I heard.

The problem was the bus windows had parllel window guard bars and that space in between is not enough to use as an exit.All escaped only through front and rear windows.