• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Rack Movement

Gear_Head

Question

Hope u guys can help me..

I recently bought a Toyota Corolla 121, 2001 model, 18000 Km on the clock (yeah right!!.. but if my guess is correct its done about 30k)

my problem is my mechanic, after looking at the car said, that the steering rack is moving about 1-2mm when the steering is turned. Can this be a serious issue, he is saying - that four new bushes in the rack mounts can fix the problem. And, no need to do it right now since the play is not that big..

what do u guys think? can I run the vehicle as it is? or is a trip to the garage is written in the starts?

checked with Toyota lanka, they right away said Rs 40k for a new steering rack ($$$$$$) :action-smiley-060:

25 answers to this question

I recently bought a Toyota Corolla 121, 2001 model, 18000 Km on the clock (yeah right!!.. but if my guess is correct its done about 30k)

my problem is my mechanic, after looking at the car said, that the steering rack is moving about 1-2mm when the steering is turned. Can this be a serious issue, he is saying - that four new bushes in the rack mounts can fix the problem. And, no need to do it right now since the play is not that big..

what do u guys think? can I run the vehicle as it is? or is a trip to the garage is written in the starts?

checked with Toyota lanka, they right away said Rs 40k for a new steering rack ($$$$$$) :action-smiley-060:

I do not think you would need a whole steering rack to fix the problem if your mechanic feels just the bushes and the mounts can be replaced,

I really do think you should get it sorted because usually if there is a play there is wear, and you might notice at high speed your steering might feel out of balance and might vibrate a bit etc, and I don't think its worth the hassle considering you are expecting the car to perform as a new care,

Also ask the mechanic why he thinks this problem has arisen in such a supposedly new car ,

Regards

The Don

Bro, ahh, had the same issue in the 121. ########################### i will help you

mod edit: Pls do so

Hey Hola just wonderiing, since both you guys have come across the same problem, is this a common manufacturing defect on 121 s'

My guess is it has done a good 100k ++. The problem is when they clock down and sell high mileage fleet run vehicles. We are running some 121 cars both JDM and export models with around 115k on the clock without any problems yet.

Eventually, you will have to replace the rack which comes as a whole unit on the 121 model (like in the March K11). If a repair kit is available, might as well get it done. The rack play gets pretty annoying on a new car.

Get quotes from G.S. M*t*rs, M.M. O**a*n*z*t*o* and see.

My guess is it has done a good 100k ++. The problem is when they clock down and sell high mileage fleet run vehicles. We are running some 121 cars both JDM and export models with around 115k on the clock without any problems yet.

Eventually, you will have to replace the rack which comes as a whole unit on the 121 model (like in the March K11). If a repair kit is available, might as well get it done. The rack play gets pretty annoying on a new car.

Get quotes from G.S. M*t*rs, M.M. O**a*n*z*t*o* and see.

The 121 has an EPS just like the March K11, There are no repair kits for the K11, and I assume the same for the 121. Eventually the rack needs to be replaced.

But there is a place down Cotta Rd. where they dismantle the rack and replace the Nylon Bush inside. That too is temporary.

I tried it in my wife's K11.. worked a bit longer than a reconditioned rack..

Hey Hola just wonderiing, since both you guys have come across the same problem, is this a common manufacturing defect on 121 s'

No machang, But i just heard from geah head that his one is a Japanease "G" version whilst ours is Singapore "Elegence" Model

Its a crime spending 40K for that.Leave your email addy here and will let you know the way and place it'll be done!!

Hola, u've been great mate.. thanks a lot for the info.. u too miniace thanks a lot... :)

but, have some news to share with u guys.. and I must say I got the problem sorted out without spending a cent!!! :D

here goes..

I went to Toyota Lanka to meet Hola's contact there.. he was on leave today but, most of the dudes there are very helpful. Talked to a foreman who was hanging around, and he had some startling news..

The rack movement is a factory setting it seems!! The steering rack in the 121 needs to move just about 1mm! He also said that if there is any damage or wear in the mounts I should feel it right away.. and it will be a 'dug dug' noise coming from the rack when u hit a pothole, since I would notice that on our wonderful roads..

He said, after about 20k Km to come and just grease up the mounts, and they would be happy to do it..

so, there u go.. something new to learn every day...

also, the dude who misdiagnosed the problem is a well known guy down baseline road (whom I wouldn’t mention, but, I should mention rail road tracks.. ;) ).. so, this goes to show, always get a second opinion from the agents (even though u don’t do the repair at the agents $$$$$$) cheers mates.. thanks a lot again.. B)

Hola, u've been great mate.. thanks a lot for the info.. u too miniace thanks a lot... :)

but, have some news to share with u guys.. and I must say I got the problem sorted out without spending a cent!!! :D

here goes..

I went to Toyota Lanka to meet Hola's contact there.. he was on leave today but, most of the dudes there are very helpful. Talked to a foreman who was hanging around, and he had some startling news..

The rack movement is a factory setting it seems!! The steering rack in the 121 needs to move just about 1mm! He also said that if there is any damage or wear in the mounts I should feel it right away.. and it will be a 'dug dug' noise coming from the rack when u hit a pothole, since I would notice that on our wonderful roads..

He said, after about 20k Km to come and just grease up the mounts, and they would be happy to do it..

also, the dude who misdiagnosed the problem is a well known guy down baseline road (whom I wouldn’t mention, but, I should mention rail road tracks.. ;) ).. so, this goes to show, always get a second opinion from the agents (even though u don’t do the repair at the agents $$$$$$) cheers mates.. thanks a lot again.. B)

I am so happy for you bro. And thank you for the appreciation. See, Hola helps!! Thats why I asked for you to mail me :rolleyes: Thank god you did before it got deleted though :rolleyes: .

Anyway ohoma berenda baha harida? Me and mini want a treat for the money you saved :alc::D

And i respect your last words bro, always consult the agents. They know whats best for your car becuase they are trained etc. But i dont say all agents. But i have lot of regards to the dudes who does Honda, Toyota in SL. Wasnt that much happy with Mitusbishi agents due to their heavy billing. The same dude in Toyota once saved me from replacing the gear box in my Hiace by just simply changing the oil and doing some adjusments. Most of the time agents doesnt know the word repair, they just know to replace. But if you have a contact you will win.

here goes..

Congragulations mate, that was a close shave ! Yes you are right learn new things everyday

As for the mechanic who misdiagnosed the problem, I know him quite well too (its a small world) but I would not think too badly of him, I mean people make mistakes, and the above problem shook off all the experts in the forum as well so he he need I say more.

The Don

Do you guys know that our bad driving styles contribute a lot for rack-suspension related problems.The main problem is steering when the car is not moving.This is done most when driving out of parking or reversing .

Do you guys know that our bad driving styles contribute a lot for rack-suspension related problems.The main problem is steering when the car is not moving.This is done most when driving out of parking or reversing .

ya, but there is no way to avoid this right?

ya, but there is no way to avoid this right?

No what Im trying to say is that try to have atleast a slightest rolling movement befoer turning.Just to avoid the load and pressure on the rack & suspension.

Congragulations mate, that was a close shave ! Yes you are right learn new things everyday

As for the mechanic who misdiagnosed the problem, I know him quite well too (its a small world) but I would not think too badly of him, I mean people make mistakes, and the above problem shook off all the experts in the forum as well so he he need I say more.

The Don

don's right... i go to this dude too and he's actually saved me quite a bit of money on repairs i thought i needed... definitely a mistake he made...

Guys I have the same problem, the rack is giving noises if the road is uneven. The Corolla 121 is my first car bought few months ago and the mileage is 68k; and I have no knowledge about repairing this or garages.. specially never been to Toyota Lanka yet. Also car is giving a very rough experience during driving, I can feel every bump and edge..sometimes the steering is shaking as well. I think I need to go to Toyota Lanka. Please help me with any knowledge you have. Thanks a lot.

Edited by j_dude

Guys I have the same problem, the rack is giving noises if the road is uneven. The Corolla 121 is my first car bought few months ago and the mileage is 68k; and I have no knowledge about repairing this or garages.. specially never been to Toyota Lanka yet. Also car is giving a very rough experience during driving, I can feel every bump and edge..sometimes the steering is shaking as well. I think I need to go to Toyota Lanka. Please help me with any knowledge you have. Thanks a lot.

Edited by j_dude

Edited by j_dude