• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2002 Bmw E46 Or 2002 Jag X-type

so i finally got the green light to get rid of my 2004 peugot 206 (any offers? lol) and im trying to decide between a 2002 BMW 318i (around 50k km) and a 2003 (or 2002 im not sure) Jag X-Type (same mileage). The 3 series is being quoted by the dealer @ 4.5 mil but i'm hoping he'll come down a lot more (is this a ripoff - pls advice) and the X-type is being quoted @ around 6 mil (I'm hoping for 5.5 mil).

Any comments? I'm afraid of committing to anything for a few reasons:

1) i love the E46 but they are waay too common on SL roads

2) the jag looks awesome but im worried about resale value in SL / maintenance costs etc

I would greatly appreciate any input... thanks

The X type is the worst Jag ever made.

Despite the E46 being common I think the 2002 is the facelifted one and thats a little less common (esp since its petrol).

Expect to pay around 4.2 for the BMW.

Also have a look at the Audi A4 (2003), you may be able to get one thats in that range.... or even a Sing Rx-8 if you want something rare.

But from what you've said I'd go for the BMW.

so i finally got the green light to get rid of my 2004 peugot 206 (any offers? lol) and im trying to decide between a 2002 BMW 318i (around 50k km) and a 2003 (or 2002 im not sure) Jag X-Type (same mileage). The 3 series is being quoted by the dealer @ 4.5 mil but i'm hoping he'll come down a lot more (is this a ripoff - pls advice) and the X-type is being quoted @ around 6 mil (I'm hoping for 5.5 mil).

2) the jag looks awesome but im worried about resale value in SL / maintenance costs etc

Facelift Model 318 comes with a super 2 litre engine and the driving pleasure you get from the RWD chassis is great. (...comments coming after a recent long haul down south in one....:))

X-Type is basically a Ford Mondeo chassis with a 2.5 Ltr V6 and a Full Time 4WD drivetrain. Not too sure how good it is but the Maintenance and wear and tear on our roads would be a lot more costly than the Bimmer.

Facelift Model 318 comes with a super 2 litre engine and the driving pleasure you get from the RWD chassis is great. (...comments coming after a recent long haul down south in one....:))

The 320D will the 318i's ass anytime. LOL

320D has more bhp/tourque than the 318i and the the 0-100kmph time on the 320d is also less.

Don't even bother wasting money on the Jag. As Nira mentioned, its an over-glorified Mondeo, with the worst case of torque steer i've experienced (if 2wd) and disastrous economy (if AWD).

Facelifted 320d is the way to go.

Hi man i suggest you go for the BMW. The jag would make a big hole in your wallet.

Machan nira74, isn't there a 2 litre front wheel drive version?

Hi Guys,

You woule be better off checking if the engine on the 2002 is a n42 or the older m series. The N42 is actually a 2 litre engine which was a marked improvement over the older m series engine of the older 318i. Much better economy - gives a solid 8 in the worst of colombo's traffic and is a pleasure to drive. Actually don't think there are any fwd models - there are awd's but haven't seen any of them in SL.

Also the 318i service interval is also pretty decent. Requires a service every 25k over the diesel's 14k kms which is actually pretty decent.

The 320d is certainly a more economical car to run but be careful when looking at the higher milage ones - the older ones may have slightly worn turbos and a certain M***** doesn't like doing stuff like cleaning / replacing injectors cause he says in many cases one would need to pull the head off to get the injectors out. The 320d is also a little more heavy on the a/c compressors etc (apparently the earlier original compressors failed quite a bit) and the older ones may have been modified and fitted with jap compressors - apparently this is not something to be too worried as long as the job's been done right. On a car that has done 50k you would need to check out the lower arm bushes on the front suspension which would be indicated by a bit of noise coming from the front when driving, but it's not too expensive to fit - generally in the range of 12-13k.

Don't really know of any other joints that service the jags other than the agents and I hear parts are pretty pricey and the agent usually doesn't stock a lot of bits. My previous boss had a s type and he had whacked the front in traffic and it took over two months for the agent to get him down a new bonnet. Pretty poor service if you ask me on that. Also don't think there are a lotta alternate sources for parts either, unless you have a pal in uk or dubai who can send it down to you.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

MadMMx.

Hi Guys,

You woule be better off checking if the engine on the 2002 is a n42 or the older m series. The N42 is actually a 2 litre engine which was a marked improvement over the older m series engine of the older 318i. Much better economy - gives a solid 8 in the worst of colombo's traffic and is a pleasure to drive. Actually don't think there are any fwd models - there are awd's but haven't seen any of them in SL.

......... [shortened]

Cheers,

MadMMx.

Hey thanks man, that was very informative... i think even im a lil more partial to the 3 now that ive done a lil more research. The jag came into the pic coz my mom saw a gorgeous electric blue one @ the showroom near peliyagoda and fell in love with it. Anyways, seems like owning a jag is a nightmare in sri lanka too.

One more important question, did the 318i's come in Auto (don't flame - car needs to be wife friendly too :P)?

Also, didn't sri lanka get any higher models like 320i's or even 330i's (yummy)? I'm asking coz i havent really seen many and almost all the petrol 3's ive seen lately have been manual 318i's.

Thanks again guys and I much appreciate your insightful post 'MadMMx'.

Hey thanks man, that was very informative... i think even im a lil more partial to the 3 now that ive done a lil more research. The jag came into the pic coz my mom saw a gorgeous electric blue one @ the showroom near peliyagoda and fell in love with it. Anyways, seems like owning a jag is a nightmare in sri lanka too.

One more important question, did the 318i's come in Auto (don't flame - car needs to be wife friendly too :P)?

Also, didn't sri lanka get any higher models like 320i's or even 330i's (yummy)? I'm asking coz i havent really seen many and almost all the petrol 3's ive seen lately have been manual 318i's.

Thanks again guys and I much appreciate your insightful post 'MadMMx'.

Hi,

There are auto versions but me thinks they are a little rare here due to the additional cost of the box. There was one 320I that I saw for sale in Bamba but that was an olderish one, think it was early english no's. as for the 3 litres ..etc would guess that most of those came on the 5 series - quite a few e39's.. etc and also a few e39 530d's - which is supposed to be an excellent engine - power and economy wise.

Cheers,

MadMMx.

Hi,

There are auto versions but me thinks they are a little rare here due to the additional cost of the box. There was one 320I that I saw for sale in Bamba but that was an olderish one, think it was early english no's. as for the 3 litres ..etc would guess that most of those came on the 5 series - quite a few e39's.. etc and also a few e39 530d's - which is supposed to be an excellent engine - power and economy wise.

Cheers,

MadMMx.

Autos are rare since the 320Ds that came out in numbers (at around 2.4mil) only came as manuals. The petrols autos without the permits sold for around 4 mil around that time hence the rarity.

I test drove a tiptronic 525i with GP plates at this sale ****************** this week. Done 40k miles but apparent B.New import and asking for a reasonable 4.75m.

Edited by sharkster

Autos are rare since the 320Ds that came out in numbers (at around 2.4mil) only came as manuals. The petrols autos without the permits sold for around 4 mil around that time hence the rarity.

I test drove a tiptronic 525i with GP plates at this sale ******************* this week. Done 40k miles but apparent B.New import and asking for a reasonable 4.75m.

A Five for the price of a 3. That's a deal. I'll take the 525 over the 320d. And certainly over that horrible looking Jag.

Edited by sharkster

milindu you've broken fundamental advertising rules...

Apologies!

Generally the 3 Series always held better secondhand value in Sri Lanka. Probably seen and more practical and easier to maintain.

Any comments on the X5? 2002/3 model?

I test drove a tiptronic 525i with GP plates at this sale ****************** this week. Done 40k miles but apparent B.New import and asking for a reasonable 4.75m.

maaan i'd Lurrrve to have one of dem babies.... provided its a post 2001 at least.... though there must be something wrong with it as almost every 5 i've come across is being advertised at over 5.5 mil mostly over 6 mil....

... seems like owning a jag is a nightmare in sri lanka too.

Dude owning an x-type is a disaster anywhere. in 03 one of my colleagues in Melbourne bought a fully option 3.0 AWD Sport X-type. From the day it arrived it gave him nothing but grief. After paying close to 80k AUD for the thing, he was glad to get rid of it for 22k at the end of 3 years! But he didn't really care about the loss was just glad to be rid of the heap of junk. Stick with the BM, Audi or Merc (prob. out of budget). I'd say in that order.

I'm partial to a 156 JTS as well, but it's one of those heart things.. definately not a head decision :-) I own a 2003 C Kompressor Sport (factory sport pack) in Melbourne, and a E39 525i manual here, whilst it's not comparing apples with apples, the BM is much nicer to drive as a drivers car. Back in '99 when I was living here (SL) for 6 months I hired a E36 316i manual with sport suspension.. and whilst it wasn't a speed demon it was hella fun to drive.. bmw's have always had that trait!! I'm partial to RWD over FWD too, so I can't comment on the Audi (even though I do drive an A6 TDi frequently). Either way, stay clear of the Jag.. and drive the others to let yourself decide which you would love to drive day in and out.. even on Colombo roads I look forward to just jumping in the 5 and taking it for a spin, no matter time of day! The merc is too conservative for that!!

Edited by MSP0RT5

I'm partial to a 156 JTS as well, but it's one of those heart things.. definately not a head decision :-) I own a 2003 C Kompressor Sport (factory sport pack) in Melbourne, and a E39 525i manual here, whilst it's not comparing apples with apples, the BM is much nicer to drive as a drivers car. Back in '99 when I was living here (SL) for 6 months I hired a E36 316i manual with sport suspension.. and whilst it wasn't a speed demon it was hella fun to drive.. bmw's have always had that trait!! I'm partial to RWD over FWD too, so I can't comment on the Audi (even though I do drive an A6 TDi frequently). Either way, stay clear of the Jag.. and drive the others to let yourself decide which you would love to drive day in and out.. even on Colombo roads I look forward to just jumping in the 5 and taking it for a spin, no matter time of day! The merc is too conservative for that!!

MSSPORTS U know your cars man. I am in totally agreeable with your comments as I have driven all the cars you mention.

I have been thinking about replacing my 1.6 156 Twin Spark with a 2.0 JTS (As u know we in SL are starved for choice over here - you can't just decide and go out there and buy. You have to locate, see if owner is willing to sell, bring him down from his often ridiculous offer price.) As there's nothing else that can really give me the thrill I'm sure you know about.

How are the notorious Alfa dealers down under? As you probably know the in the UK they sacked more than 50% of them.

BMWs are great drivers cars and infact was a BM fan/owner until I bought my Alfa Giulia coupe which changed everything.

Audis and Mercs are typical German, efficiency but never fun to drive. Altho great dynamically they seem cold and even dead. I dislike Audis for their rock hard ride. But their TDI engines are great with lots of torque from very low revs.

Mercs have improved recently. I was slightly impressed with the SLK 350 I drove, the steering felt good, but again nothing to drool over. I also drove a High miler E320 W210, which I liked.

But when you get back in the Alfa you wonder what have those poor sods done to miss out on real driving pleasure! As for the Jag X I would not even want to be seen in a car with those looks.! Mondeo underpinings is not really the issue as the Modeo chassis was the best fwd around. It's the looks and weight of the Jag that makes it so undesirable in the first place.

MSSPORTS U know your cars man. I am in totally agreeable with your comments as I have driven all the cars you mention.

haha.. like with most people here it's in my blood!! My father, my uncles.. all petrol heads :-)

I have been thinking about replacing my 1.6 156 Twin Spark with a 2.0 JTS (As u know we in SL are starved for choice over here - you can't just decide and go out there and buy. You have to locate, see if owner is willing to sell, bring him down from his often ridiculous offer price.) As there's nothing else that can really give me the thrill I'm sure you know about.

yep!! I hear ya! Now that the kids have started school, and the mrs is starting a business i was thinking of getting a 156 jts for myself to have some fun in, use for work etc. but noticed there aren't any here!! crazy. they are quite nice to drive! Pity. My other choice is an E34 either 520 or 525 (if there are any here).. they were quite good to drive as well.

How are the notorious Alfa dealers down under? As you probably know the in the UK they sacked more than 50% of them.

They actually aren't too bad. I have a few mates with Alfa's, and for general stuff the dealers have been ok. One of the guys at work had his GTV 3.0 broken into in the work car park. Was a real shame. I left just before him and his car was parked behind mine. I saw something lying on the ground, on the passenger side, walked to take a closer look and it was his passenger window. the guys had pulled on it and snapped it at the base. They'd taken his stereo, a few other things and scratched up his red leather dash and seats. The guy was devasted to say the least. Anyway.. I think it took about 3 months to get fixed coz the alfa dealer stuffed up the colour of the dash (had to be ordered from Italy). So stuff like that happens, but in general, they seem to be better than here (ie. non-existent :D ) Before I bought my C class in aussie, one of the cars on the short list was the 156 GTA.. alfas have horrendous resale value, so they were selling for 95k retail new, but you could pick up a 2 month oldone with about 3000k's for about 80k! I really considered it and in hindsight, I should've just bought the thing, but I played safe and went with the merc.

BMWs are great drivers cars and infact was a BM fan/owner until I bought my Alfa Giulia coupe which changed everything.

Audis and Mercs are typical German, efficiency but never fun to drive. Altho great dynamically they seem cold and even dead. I dislike Audis for their rock hard ride. But their TDI engines are great with lots of torque from very low revs.

Mercs have improved recently. I was slightly impressed with the SLK 350 I drove, the steering felt good, but again nothing to drool over. I also drove a High miler E320 W210, which I liked.

I find the A6 a bit peaky, but definately attributed to the small turbo for the low down torque. The Suspension is rock hard though.. even with the 16" wheels they fit here!! I travel in it at least once a week and when I get back in my E39 you notice the difference straight away, even though I have 17's. The Merc is nice, I still enjoy driving it, but it's not in the same "drivers" category as the Alfa, BM or Audi. I dont know how to explain it.. the merc is.. ermm "safe"?

But when you get back in the Alfa you wonder what have those poor sods done to miss out on real

driving pleasure!

I drove a friends Fiat 124 a few years back, it wasn't stock.. the motor was modified with the lancia twin cam heads and all the rest, but for an "old" car.. it was such a pleasure to drive... the italians seem to get something right.. at least you can enjoy the drive between the breakdowns and electrical fires.. :lol:

Edited by MSP0RT5

I dont know how to explain it.. the merc is.. ermm "safe"?

I drove a friends Fiat 124 a few years back, it wasn't stock.. the motor was modified with the lancia twin cam heads and all the rest, but for an "old" car.. it was such a pleasure to drive... the italians seem to get something right.. at least you can enjoy the drive between the breakdowns and electrical fires.. :lol:

Heh heh yes "Safe" is a good word to describe a Merc drive. "Mature" is another :D

I've got an 87 500SEC and there are only 2 things about it. The Looks and the shove when you plant your right foot. Everything else is pretty sedate.

I lived in Melbourne ten years ago and saw many Fiat 124 Coupes on daily use. Oz being warm must have delayed the rust.

I nearly bought a Fiat 125 Saloon. But the dealer would not part ex my Mazda wagon :( . Missed an Alfa 33 at an Auction I got jittery when I nearly won the bid at AUD900 :D !!!

Desperately wanted to buy an X1/9 but again could not flog that damn Mazda.

Heh heh yes "Safe" is a good word to describe a Merc drive. "Mature" is another :D

I've got an 87 500SEC and there are only 2 things about it. The Looks and the shove when you plant your right foot. Everything else is pretty sedate.

Agreed.. the old merc v8's are pretty brutal! I mean, having said all that about the merc's, I wouldn't refuse driving around in a CLK350 or something :D or even an old pagoda style SL230.

Edited by MSP0RT5