• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wideband O2 Sensors/diy Tuning

Hola

Question

After some reading (surf ;) ) i know tha by pluging into the original o2 sensor bung we can have accurate A/F reading, this is a compulsery reading if you are going for a good engine optimization.

And with corect data cable we could plug in to the car's ECU managment console with a laptop. But provided we have the right softwear in it. For Honda "Hondata" provides this.

Question is, has anyone dared to try this? If yes, any experience and thoughts on DIY tuning?

20 answers to this question

Hey Hola..

I am not really sure on how this works but based on what I know the sensor is plugged into the O2 sensor gap and the data is fed into an intermediary device which translates the data into PC friendly format.. obviously desktops would not be used lol.. connected usually via serial cable connnections but the latest ones would support USB based connections..

as for it being a DIY project.. i highly doubt whether that would be an option as tuning the AF ratio requires proper understanding of the cars engine and also a good understanding of the rich and lean fuel mixtures which the car could be made to run on..

Basically tuning via O2 would reap only minimal benefits if the car were stock.. if just makes the engine run at maximum potential (with proper tuning).. once the right level is selected i guess there would be another connection to the ECU in order to update the fuel maps..

hell.. now that the word ECU came into my mind.. i dont think that the original source of info would be the o2 sensor but the ecu.. the o2 sensors send the data to the ECU and i guess the data is intercepted from there on..

Porkster did mention about the HKR AF console which basically breaks the direct link with the o2 sensor and the ecu and amends the signals according to what the user requires.. its quite complex and definitely not a DIY for newbies.. and my knowledge on this is quite minimal so dont take my word as words carved on stone..

Zz

The stock oxygen censor, provided you have a ECU measures the oxgen ratio which is exausted from the engine right?. In the market actualy there are AF gauges which does real time reading and fixed with a pod in the inteiror. Those are for the super preformance freaks i guess. :-)

But Nexgen you are right on DIY tuning even if you get hold of expensive stuff out of Hondata. In an event of engine check light comes up if you have a diagnostic softwear it is easier to find the error codes and act upon it. Thats of course you got the right knowledge too

After some reading (surf ;) ) i know tha by pluging into the original o2 sensor bung we can have accurate A/F reading, this is a compulsery reading if you are going for a good engine optimization.

And with corect data cable we could plug in to the car's ECU managment console with a laptop. But provided we have the right softwear in it. For Honda "Hondata" provides this.

Question is, has anyone dared to try this? If yes, any experience and thoughts on DIY tuning?

Is it just me or does this make any sense to anyone?

Is it just me or does this make any sense to anyone?

Its not just u.

Listen guys seriously, I have no problem with the question, but if ur "not really sure on how this works" and u don't have "the right knowledge" or u need to "guess" please don't post answers like expert opinions. This is the "ASK AN EXPERT" section. If ur not an expert, don't try to answer. There are ppl who can answer this but they wont touch the thread ones ppl who don't know start posting on it, coz then they have to clean up the misfacts in those posts as well. Not that I am saying there is any factual errors in the answers, and sorry to use this thread as an example, but as a overall policy, pls don't do it.

I mean, not picking fault personally, but I find this kinda thing very confusing.

Basically tuning via O2 would reap only minimal benefits if the car were stock.. if just makes the engine run at maximum potential (with proper tuning)

It seems contradictary. Minimal benifits by making the engine run at maximum potential? :huh:

Sorry man.. just gave my opinion based on what i know and contrary to that, i did mention that it MIGHT NOT be accurate...

@ Pericles - Nah.. what I meant was that unless you install some decent mechanical mods ie. air filter, intake/exhaust manifold etc. which ll frees up engine stress you would not reap any substantial benefits.. if there were an power increase. it might be minor.. just my understanding on it not experience..

Zz

Hi hola,

you really dont have to get connected with the cars ECU or the O2 sensor to carry out this task. And you dont even need a laptop. This is a simple task if you have the right equipment. What you need is a NGK Ait to fuel monitor.(http://www.ngk.com/afx/). But the sad thing is this is not available in Srilanka.

I tried the NGK dealers whether they can bring one for me but they said they couldn't. If you have friends abroad then ask them to send one for you.

Compaired to your method this would be much more easier and cost effective.And you can use this on any car whether its stock or totally modified and you dont need to have seperate softwares for diffferent

cars. If you are interrested on this go to the link given above then you'll be able to get all the information. You'll also be able to download the manual.

Thanks. :D

Hi hola,

you really dont have to get connected with the cars ECU or the O2 sensor to carry out this task. And you dont even need a laptop. This is a simple task if you have the right equipment. What you need is a NGK Ait to fuel monitor.(http://www.ngk.com/afx/). But the sad thing is this is not available in Srilanka.

I tried the NGK dealers whether they can bring one for me but they said they couldn't. If you have friends abroad then ask them to send one for you.

Compaired to your method this would be much more easier and cost effective.And you can use this on any car whether its stock or totally modified and you dont need to have seperate softwares for diffferent

cars. If you are interrested on this go to the link given above then you'll be able to get all the information. You'll also be able to download the manual.

Thanks. :D

Thanks Nim..

Just finished cleaning the injectors (done by a small home made gadget powered by the car battery-made by a friend), changed the plugs, got the abro spray and cleaned the throtle, serviced the K&N cone filter (air cleaner done overnight for drying). Had to take of the valve cover and put in grey silicon as there was a bit of a greasy stuff coming out. It was good fun in a way. The pickup feels good now. :):)

Bro, question is

1/.Should the ECU be reset after the above?

2/.If yes, since i dont have the corect tools for it wil it work if I disconect the battery overnight?

Thanks Nim..

Just finished cleaning the injectors (done by a small home made gadget powered by the car battery-made by a friend), changed the plugs, got the abro spray and cleaned the throtle, serviced the K&N cone filter (air cleaner done overnight for drying). Had to take of the valve cover and put in grey silicon as there was a bit of a greasy stuff coming out. It was good fun in a way. The pickup feels good now. :):)

Bro, question is

1/.Should the ECU be reset after the above?

2/.If yes, since i dont have the corect tools for it wil it work if I disconect the battery overnight?

Yea machan you can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. But you dont need to leave it like that for a long time. 15 to 30 minutes would be enough. But i dont think that you need to reset the ECU after a tune up.

Resetting is normally done after a repair. For example if the check engine indicator lights up due to some fault in a sensor and after diagnosing and repairing it you will still find the check engine light working. This is due to the fact that ECU has no idea about the repair that you have carried out.So to turn this indicator off machanics reset the car computer. After resetting since the fault is now repaired and since the ECU is getting a correct signal from that particular sensor, it wont light up the check engine indicator again.

you can either use the engine diagnose tool or you can simply disconnect the battery to reset it.

lol tunning via wide-band, AFR, ECU, etc has been happening in this country for years now.. anyway NextGen, Hola- please understand the difference between diagnostics and tunning.. they're totally different things which you two seem to be confused about as usual

Edited by Pilawoos

Yea machan you can reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. But you dont need to leave it like that for a long time. 15 to 30 minutes would be enough. But i dont think that you need to reset the ECU after a tune up.

Resetting is normally done after a repair. For example if the check engine indicator lights up due to some fault in a sensor and after diagnosing and repairing it you will still find the check engine light working. This is due to the fact that ECU has no idea about the repair that you have carried out.So to turn this indicator off machanics reset the car computer. After resetting since the fault is now repaired and since the ECU is getting a correct signal from that particular sensor, it wont light up the check engine indicator again.

you can either use the engine diagnose tool or you can simply disconnect the battery to reset it.

Thanks Nim, Thank you very much for the advice....

So as a summery i dont have to reset the ECU after the work done today and thats it self is a releif plus knowing that 15-30mins resets the ECU is a good deal too, i thought these should be left overnight..

Thanks Nim,NexGen

lol tunning via wide-band, AFR, ECU, etc has been happening in this country for years now.. anyway NextGen, Hola- please understand the difference between diagnostics and tunning.. they're totally different things which you two seem to be confused about as usual

Maybe it was happening for a long time, I just asked everyone's opinion on it and anyone's experience. Anyway Nim was so descriptive and helpfull. Thank you Nims again

Thanks Nim, Thank you very much for the advice....

So as a summery i dont have to reset the ECU after the work done today and thats it self is a releif plus knowing that 15-30mins resets the ECU is a good deal too, i thought these should be left overnight..

Thanks Nim,NexGen

Maybe it was happening for a long time, I just asked everyone's opinion on it and anyone's experience. Anyway Nim was so descriptive and helpfull. Thank you Nims again

No problem at all bro. Its all about helping out someone who is really interested in car stuff. Machan actually that 15-30 minute thing was once said in sirasa tv- auto vision a long time back. If you remember they had a special segment called car clinic where people can call and ask expert openion. Hey are they still having that programme?I stopped wathching it after they started showing motor bikes and earth moving equipment :lol: .

No problem at all bro. Its all about helping out someone who is really interested in car stuff. Machan actually that 15-30 minute thing was once said in sirasa tv- auto vision a long time back. If you remember they had a special segment called car clinic where people can call and ask expert openion. Hey are they still having that programme?I stopped wathching it after they started showing motor bikes and earth moving equipment :lol: .

Nim,

Thanks alot for your support machang!

I got a CAI in my Civic and i fixed a smaller K&N to the inatke postioned at the tapet. Do you think i should drag it further to somewhere in the engine bay where its cooler? Some say that that little intake requires hot air? What are your thoughts on this?

Nim,

Thanks alot for your support machang!

I got a CAI in my Civic and i fixed a smaller K&N to the inatke postioned at the tapet. Do you think i should drag it further to somewhere in the engine bay where its cooler? Some say that that little intake requires hot air? What are your thoughts on this?

Scientifically cooler the air more oxygen molecules it has. More O2 means more fuel that the engine management can add in the process of combustion. So you get more power. But most car manufacturers add restrictions to this to keep the emissions down to a certain limit.

If you have noticed some of the aftermarket cold air intake units require you to mount

the intake as far from the engine as possible, I have seen some pictures where intakes are mounted low down behind the front bumper. But in your situation machan I suggest

you leave your air filter element where it is right now. Because if you mount your intake low down you might not be able to drive it on rainy days obviously because of the flooded roads. And machan even if you mount it far from the engine I don’t think that you’ll get a very noticeable amount of power increase. Is your car a VTEC? What are the other modifications you have done to it machan?

Scientifically cooler the air more oxygen molecules it has. More O2 means more fuel that the engine management can add in the process of combustion. So you get more power. But most car manufacturers add restrictions to this to keep the emissions down to a certain limit.

If you have noticed some of the aftermarket cold air intake units require you to mount

the intake as far from the engine as possible, I have seen some pictures where intakes are mounted low down behind the front bumper. But in your situation machan I suggest

you leave your air filter element where it is right now. Because if you mount your intake low down you might not be able to drive it on rainy days obviously because of the flooded roads. And machan even if you mount it far from the engine I don’t think that you’ll get a very noticeable amount of power increase. Is your car a VTEC? What are the other modifications you have done to it machan?

No bro, mine is not a VTEC. Just a plain LEV version with CVT gearbox. Machang, the argument is that the CAI goes straight to the throtle and that matters most. Thats why the colder the air for it gives better preformance. And i saw your comment on flooded roads, trust me mine is fine :D (touch wood)I survived the Negombo Seeduwa flood few months back (phew). Anyway thats fine.

But you know there is a line from a CAI or a stock air filter box going to the engine tapet area. (there is a name for that line, not sure). And in mine i have just fixed a K&N small filter to it rather than making a hole in the CAI and drawing a air line to it. So since its just near the engine bay i have noticed it get dirty soon and its hot.

1/.Some say that air which goes to the tapet needs to be hot,whats your thoughts on that nim?

2/.Do you think it should be drawn further to a cooler area of the engine bay?

See nim, here is what im talking about. See that a hole is made on the CAI and a line drwan out for the tapet area?

IPB Image

No bro, mine is not a VTEC. Just a plain LEV version with CVT gearbox. Machang, the argument is that the CAI goes straight to the throtle and that matters most. Thats why the colder the air for it gives better preformance. And i saw your comment on flooded roads, trust me mine is fine :D (touch wood)I survived the Negombo Seeduwa flood few months back (phew). Anyway thats fine.

But you know there is a line from a CAI or a stock air filter box going to the engine tapet area. (there is a name for that line, not sure). And in mine i have just fixed a K&N small filter to it rather than making a hole in the CAI and drawing a air line to it. So since its just near the engine bay i have noticed it get dirty soon and its hot.

1/.Some say that air which goes to the tapet needs to be hot,whats your thoughts on that nim?

2/.Do you think it should be drawn further to a cooler area of the engine bay?

See nim, here is what im talking about. See that a hole is made on the CAI and a line drwan out for the tapet area?

IPB Image

Sorry machan earlier i thought you were talking about the engine's main air intake. Defineatly cold air gives more power. I dont agree with the first one. Because if the tappets need hot air, manufaturer would have connected that particular vecuum air line somewhere else instead of connecting it the intake system, in the first place.

I dont think that you have to go in the hassle of remounting it somewhere else. I dont know the technical reason why that tube should be connected to the intake pipe but machn in most of the photos that i have seen in the net, after installing a CAI they connect that vacuum line to the intake pipe. So machan why dont you simply connect it to the intake pipe as you get on the stock car?

Machan if you can find the right name of that vaccum line check whether it is this.PWM Vacuum Switching Valve.

Hi Nim,

The reason why we went for a mini K&N for it rather than driling a hole on the CAI is one was to make the job neat. I thought of draging this more near to thehead lamp area with a custom braket. I think i give alot of air for the engine even now though

Hi Nim,

The reason why we went for a mini K&N for it rather than driling a hole on the CAI is one was to make the job neat. I thought of draging this more near to thehead lamp area with a custom braket. I think i give alot of air for the engine even now though

Machan where did you get pipes for your cold air intake from? Didnt you buy the complete package.Because in most of the aftermarket CAI s' ,if you select the correct system for your car model, it's suppose to have a seperate 1/2 inch nipple on the intake pipe for you to connect the line coming from the tappet cover.

IPB Image