• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Installing Turbo

Watchman

Question

Say one has a small car originally petrol, converted to diesel as a home project, and now wants to torbocharge it. ;):P

The engine does not originally come with a turbo, but a succeeding model (with a near similar block) does.

The new block aparently has a point that gives out the oil line for the turbo, so what can one do to get the oil line without messing with the block. My father (its mainly his home project) says that you can simply use a 'T' joint and get a line for the turbo from the line that originally goes to the oil preasure gague.

Now i'm wondering.. What kind of preasure are we talking about in this line? Too little that it wont even give enough oil/presure for the turbo? or too much presure that a home-installed T joint might not hold?

Words of wisdom please....:)

4 answers to this question

Say one has a small car originally petrol, converted to diesel as a home project, and now wants to torbocharge it. ;):P

The engine does not originally come with a turbo, but a succeeding model (with a near similar block) does.

The new block aparently has a point that gives out the oil line for the turbo, so what can one do to get the oil line without messing with the block. My father (its mainly his home project) says that you can simply use a 'T' joint and get a line for the turbo from the line that originally goes to the oil preasure gague.

Now i'm wondering.. What kind of preasure are we talking about in this line? Too little that it wont even give enough oil/presure for the turbo? or too much presure that a home-installed T joint might not hold?

Words of wisdom please....:)

Cannot recommend that machan.In Srilanka some machanics even drill a hole in the sump to connect the return oil line coming out from the turbo.

The easiest and the best way is to install a remote oil filter relocation kit.This attach where your oil filter normally is, re-route the oil to a remotely mounted oil filter, and provides a return line back to the block for the filtered oil. This is the perfect place to tee off the connection and run a line to supply oil to your turbo.

Sorry bit off topic, i remember you talking about this project long time back. so what did you buy in the end and how much did it all cost (including the diesel conversion)????

Well, actually this was a case where the engine was bought before the car itself :D

The car was a Tata indica (YOM 2003). it was 925,000. Used engiine and complete overhaul kit (from gasket to piston heads) cost somethin like 40,000+12000.

My father went to India for a few days and bought a Turbo+Intercooler (something like 12,000 if i remember right). 2006+ diesel Indica's come with the Turbo (same block except for the turbo's oil in/outlets)

Cannot recommend that machan.In Srilanka some machanics even drill a hole in the sump to connect the return oil line coming out from the turbo.

The easiest and the best way is to install a remote oil filter relocation kit.This attach where your oil filter normally is, re-route the oil to a remotely mounted oil filter, and provides a return line back to the block for the filtered oil. This is the perfect place to tee off the connection and run a line to supply oil to your turbo.

Yeah that sounds like a good place to get the oil line :) thanks!

Well, actually this was a case where the engine was bought before the car itself :D

The car was a Tata indica (YOM 2003). it was 925,000. Used engiine and complete overhaul kit (from gasket to piston heads) cost somethin like 40,000+12000.

My father went to India for a few days and bought a Turbo+Intercooler (something like 12,000 if i remember right). 2006+ diesel Indica's come with the Turbo (same block except for the turbo's oil in/outlets)

Yeah that sounds like a good place to get the oil line :) thanks!

Other option is to get your hands on a newer block I guess, I think you would be hard pressed to get an oil filter relocation kid for an indica engine and getting a local one made might more problems than getting it off an oil line