• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Traffic Jam

terrance

Agreed.. what else are they supposed to do? I doubt they (armed forces) enjoy standing their in the blazing heat doing it, nor the threat to their lives.. frustrating.. but its the reality in SL!

i was stuck in traffic coming from the airport for over 3 hrs yesterday. the client i picked up wanted to go back before reaching the hotel!!! should the army continue these ad hoc searches ?

Dont Blame the Army Blame the LTTE, Army trying to protect us and the LTTE trying to Destroy us, Whatevery happned ppl have to give their support to the Forces to do their job.

i was stuck in traffic coming from the airport for over 3 hrs yesterday. the client i picked up wanted to go back before reaching the hotel!!! should the army continue these ad hoc searches ?

You should've put him up at the Airport Garden then, and shielded him from the chaos. :D

I don't intend to open up a can of worms here, but what's the general sentiment about the war out there these days?? All I really hear about it is the article on BBC every other day talking about how both sides are fooling around and overstating the opponent's casualties/understating their own. I definitely wouldn't put it past our government to try pulling off something like that.

The ride back from the airport was bad enough a few months ago just with the traffic (took a good 2+ hours into colombo)..can't even imagine how it must be with checkpoints all over the place. Any progress on the "highway" they've been building???

I remember the times I would be going to colombo and always being stopped and checked. I think the check points are worth it. Remember the days people were scared to ride public transport? Im no war stratagist but would it be easier to forget about the fake ceasfire and do a full on assult, flush and masacar the LTTE fighters and occupy the whole north rather than wining small battels and then giving them back the land?

I remember the times I would be going to colombo and always being stopped and checked. I think the check points are worth it. Remember the days people were scared to ride public transport? Im no war stratagist but would it be easier to forget about the fake ceasfire and do a full on assult, flush and masacar the LTTE fighters and occupy the whole north rather than wining small battels and then giving them back the land?

:rolleyes: .......... :bud: ........... sounds like a simple solution nobody realized..

Machan this is my observation and my opinion,

1-2 days before the bomb in Ratmalana i was travelling towards air port side and i passed 1 or 2 check points. I could only see 2 police officers on duty, even them half way asleep. ( Just like saying dan ithin udin withrai gahane, yatin gahane nane ) :(

But after the bomb major checks and at least 10 policemen at the same Guard Post. So i do not see how we can secure our city, if the police do not do there duty properly.

I am sure after few days time our check points will be back to the same situ. Specialy on raining days no check points at All. Our Police needs to be alert on 24/7.

Even in Rathmalana There is a check point just before the scene where the bomb blew. I have never seen any police over there on sundays ???

This is just my opinion.

Edited by Velocity

More specifically, do the searches achieve anything?

Im no war stratagist but would it be easier to forget about the fake ceasfire and do a full on assult, flush and masacar the LTTE fighters and occupy the whole north rather than wining small battels and then giving them back the land?

What about collateral damage :)? Besides we have lots of endangered wildlife in our woods (what we haven't yet made extinct)

Besides it's hard to differentiate between fighters and villagers, especially on the days they forget to wear their special identifying clothing/badges.

Hi Terrance, are you in Tourism or Transport or something. Mail me on: [email protected]

I totally get what you say, from an industry perspective. Tourism has taken a major hit and people who are dependant or have invested having to sell off their assets and eating into savings (The leasing company has seized two cars running as taxis at the C*inn*m*n G*a*d hotel last week).

I guess the checks and security is needed with the situation.

A country deserves the the leaders they vote in.

Hi Terrance, are you in Tourism or Transport or something. Mail me on: [email protected]

I totally get what you say, from an industry perspective. Tourism has taken a major hit and people who are dependant or have invested having to sell off their assets and eating into savings (The leasing company has seized two cars running as taxis at the C*inn*m*n G*a*d hotel last week).

I guess the checks and security is needed with the situation.

A country deserves the the leaders they vote in.

Hi, I am in the export of garments and i picked a french buyer.... The next morning i picked him up from the hilton and was driving to wellawatte on duplication rd when a V*P decided to go somewhere. Traffic stopped for 20 mins and then the jam took a another 10 minutes to clear !!! The last straw was we where stopped at a check point opposite Ananda college. The cop was eating a mango and insisted we get down and show our ID's to the other cop in the hut that guy was on a call on the mobile and we had to wait till he finished !!!!.......i doubt he will return to sri lanka.

terrance I hear ur point man. Its hard to even realize how Sri Lankans get their day to day work done will a war is playing in the background. Its even harder when our economy depends on foreign investment ( ie garment, tourism). Who would want to holiday in the middle of a civil war. There are so many safer alternatives. Its sad but a long drawn out war may cost us more than bloody but swift one.

Hi guys,Read your opinions about the last security check carried out..and I have to say I disagree with most of you all who appoved and nod that.

Its nothing but a Preposterous and more mechanical rather than a strategical military checking carried out resulting a huge mayhem and disturbed the whole ordinary city life.If one dispute that only 15 arrests were made after a day long check-up .Many who were arrested now released.No suspected materials found.

Still our top deem a terrorist would wait many hours in a queue and going to turn up him self a well set trap ahead.This nature of weary beliefs of military top brass draw major military and economical impedes.We see results now.

Random checks are the only possible way out.

Patriotism is good but lets not fervently agree all the military moves.Lets know the facts and the truth.

I agree with miniace.

This whole thing about checking all and sundry "AFTER" a bomb has gone off is moronic.

All it does is disrupt day for thousands and gridlock our already congested roads.

Mind you all these "Checks" are done only on main roads. The enemy, once they realise that there is a

mass vehicle check going on only have to take the millions of by-roads availble in this city, and they

go undetected.

All this goes to show is that our top brass, from "Chinthanaya" down, just panic at every explosion and react

in the worst possible way. Strategy and methodical processes are things they don't seem to have heard of.

Foreing investment? even the thought of it seems a joke now.

What if there really is a terrorist in the traffic jam... 200 + cars jam packed, terrorist in 1 of em, in fear he explodes.... wouldnt there be a chain reaction of the expolsion and result in the entire stretch of cars turning into a fireball?

What if there really is a terrorist in the traffic jam... 200 + cars jam packed, terrorist in 1 of em, in fear he explodes.... wouldnt there be a chain reaction of the expolsion and result in the entire stretch of cars turning into a fireball?

they say that they don't want to hurt the civilians, but then if something ever happen as you said. it would be just another incident, it wont just change everything! ppl those who have voted can enjoy it all, They MUST!

they say that they don't want to hurt the civilians,

that's BS mate :) they don't care two hoots about civilians not even tamils... the Rathmalana bombing was yet another example of indescriminate bombing...

I know a couple of people who died that day all because they were just passing that spot...

Our leadership is not doing a good job but tigers should be hunted down like mad dogs :violent-smiley-030::violent-smiley-099::angry-smiley-048:

Guys, don't you think all this hassle is worth it, if there's at least a remote possibility of preventing or delaying a bomb blast????

There are many things worth and not.Read last few replies and smart will comprehend...not worth letting all suffer!

• 4 weeks later...

i think a checkpoint that stops a random vehicle and checks it is much more likely to catch a terrorist than a checkpoint that stops all taffic and checks each individual vehicle. see, say its a checkpoint where all vehicles are stopped, then you get a traffic block going on for 300-400 meters.. and when its a block like that we KNOW its a security check and sometimes make a uturn and just ty to find an alternative route to avoid the block. Likewise a terrorist KNOWING its a security check will turn around and go off and find another route or maybe just wait for the check to stop....

bu as of late i dont think any security check will catch terrorists... this week a bomb was transported in the diesel tank of a GOVERNMENT vehicle. would secrity personel (even be able to) check inside the diesel tank of even a civilian truck, let along a government pick-up?????

all praise those who give the tip-offs that lead to finding such activities (and pick-ups :P)!!