• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Sport Vs Kia Sorento

hefraz

My bro in law is entitled to a permit and is keen on going in for an SUV.

Due to the restrictions by the govt and the lack of choice we have finally come down to decieding between a Montero Sport or Kia Sorento.

My questions are..

1. Are there any more SUV's?

2. Will the Montero Sport or the Kia Sorento hold a good resale price (in another 5 years time) ?

Appreciate your comments and advise.

thanks

My bro in law is entitled to a permit and is keen on going in for an SUV.

Due to the restrictions by the govt and the lack of choice we have finally come down to decieding between a Montero Sport or Kia Sorento.

My questions are..

1. Are there any more SUV's?

2. Will the Montero Sport or the Kia Sorento hold a good resale price (in another 5 years time) ?

Appreciate your comments and advise.

thanks

1. Daihatsu Terios - Great economical day to day runner (1.5 VVTi) that will hold decent value.

2. Montero sport should be the easier to sell. Although is the L200 chassis, the suspension setup is different but the ride is not great though. The ride on the Sorento is better.

That threat has a few inaccuracies, in terms of the offers on SUV’s. For example there will be no RAV4/ Fortuner Diesel from Toyota. That’s why I made a new posting.

My question is primarily to ask whether the Montero sport is better than a Sorento and secondarily whether there are any other better offers out there..

I believe my post is not guilty of “repetition”

No no, not a repitition, Just that one of the q's was already on another thread.

On the Rav4 diesel, AFAIK its only for Europe. Madmax was looking at it some time back.

No idea on the Sport/Sorento question as I haven't driven either :)

SUVs on offer

Montero Sport

Sorento

Sportage

Tucson

SantaFe 2wd

Ssanyong Kyron

Ssangyong Actyon

Terios Petrol

Montero sport is ancient technology with the chasis of a double cab. All the Korean SUVs mentioned above are leagues ahead of the Sport and packed with options. But my opinion is that Mitsubishi technology ihas been proven in Sri lanka for a long time.

But have any of us experience with Korean diesel vehicles? Buying a Korean Diesel SUV is venturing into uncharted territory. It might prove itself in 5 years. But there's a big "MIGHT".

In european reviews the Sorento scores more than the Sport or any other SUV mentioned here. But the Sport offered here will be the 2007 UK spec model. Not the ancient one with the 2.8 ltr engine, rather a 2.5 Intercooler Turbo. But comparing it with the Mercedes lended 3rd gen Common Rail diesel on the Ssanyongs the Mitsu fails miserebaly.

Ancient technology has it's pros, less electronics to go wrong and even the common 'bas' bugger can fix it.

This is a tough decision to make. Even though I decided on the Montero sport, I'm still in doubt of my own decison after seeing the spec sheets for these Korean SUVs.

Edited by madmax

Madmax,

You just mentioned the same fears that I was having (Minus the hifi tech bits) :P

My bro in law is all for the Kia, but my fear is that it's unchartered territory and I am not sure on how durable and trouble free these Korean vehicles are..

I come from a family that has purchased only Toyotas and I know very little of other brands and thier pro's and con's.

The toyota Hilux is missing from your list and I am giving it some serious thought- It's a "common rail" diesel and all.

What say you?

Edited by hefraz

Madmax,

The toyota Hilux is missing from your list and I am giving it some serious thought- It's a "common rail" diesel and all.

What say you?

I left out the Hilux and Sportero coz they are rather trucks, not SUVs. But if you're considering trucks also, I'de say both the Sportero and Hilux are good choices. I would place them equally, although the Hilux will have slightly better resale value.

Another thing I forgot is that not only the Sport but also the Sorento are quite old in design and most likely to be discontinued from 2008.

Mitsubishi is still offering the Sport in the European market and in Australia/New Zealand regions, and I'm sure they get enough sales. So if it can be sold in more quality consciuos markets, I beleive it's good enough for a third world contry like ours.

On the sport that Unimo has for display interior is not all that great. When I went to see the Toyota range I felt they also had started using 'hard plastic" like the Koreans, to cut cost.

Edited by madmax

The interior on the Montero Sport is really really bad, it was fake wood and plastic, something similar to the Hyundai Sonata.

Hilux is in my mind because of the durability and high resale. Planning on visiting most of these places to help make up my mind.