• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I Am Looking For A Mini Van Aka "batta Van"-advice Needed

lakshank

Question

Hi,

We have always been the users of big solid vans ( Mitsubishi PO25/ CR27/CR42 ) and jeeps ( Intercooler/ Defender) and the situation is now changing due to the prices of diesel and petrol. Not only the fuel factor, but driving a Defender inside Colombo in traffic hours is not something we want to do daily…(unless you are really strong and heroic).

I have seen the population of batta vans growing dramatically in the past few years. I have no idea what the different makes are or what the engine capacities are or anything. I need a comprehensive stairway from you guys because I have put a lot of thought in buying a batta van.

I would definitely go for an automatic transmission one with aircon. Can I find this spec. I have seen batta vans of Mitsubishi / Honda / and Hyundai ( don’t know for sure)….

1) What are the price tags like for different registration numbers and different makes. ..

2) How possible is it to have a finance on..and what would be the premium roughly…

3) This sounds a bit silly but taking into account of the vehicles we have been using in the past and present will we be able to live with it ( are there any disappointed users with batta vans and if so why? )

Please assist me because I am utterly unaware of this

Ive seen a few of thoose vans. To be honest they seem really cramped. I'm not too sure but I believe the engine sizes of most of these vans should be 800cc. I'm guessing you could find an uregistered van for 1.2. Not too sure though. If you don't need the space you could get a car withe the same fuel consumption. Taking horsepower and engine size, I guess you can't overtake that easily. Maybe someone else with experience with these vans could help you.

if my memory serves me right, Honda and subaru was the cheapest. they all come with 800cc engines. and they are trouble free if you use them properly. you can't ask a bull to carry a load an elephants can carry can you?

Hi,

We have always been the users of big solid vans ( Mitsubishi PO25/ CR27/CR42 ) and jeeps ( Intercooler/ Defender) and the situation is now changing due to the prices of diesel and petrol. Not only the fuel factor, but driving a Defender inside Colombo in traffic hours is not something we want to do daily…(unless you are really strong and heroic).

I have seen the population of batta vans growing dramatically in the past few years. I have no idea what the different makes are or what the engine capacities are or anything. I need a comprehensive stairway from you guys because I have put a lot of thought in buying a batta van.

I would definitely go for an automatic transmission one with aircon. Can I find this spec. I have seen batta vans of Mitsubishi / Honda / and Hyundai ( don’t know for sure)….

1) What are the price tags like for different registration numbers and different makes. ..

2) How possible is it to have a finance on..and what would be the premium roughly…

3) This sounds a bit silly but taking into account of the vehicles we have been using in the past and present will we be able to live with it ( are there any disappointed users with batta vans and if so why? )

well, we have been using one of those 'batta' vans for over 3 yrs now for our business and i have to say its been one of the most reliable vehicles we've ever used. we've had no major problems whtsoever, except fpr lil things like break pads and ac belt etc. its a subaru sambar, 660cc. the thing with the subaru is that the engine's placed in the rear, with a drop down steel buffer to access the engine. this also makes the drive very smooth, compared to the mitsubishi's and the suzuki's in which the engines are placed below the passenger seat like most other vans. very very economical, we usually do 10 or over on colombo roads depending on the load u have. im tellin u, those little things can carry quite a load and have a very impressive amount of torque to pull those loads. as for comfort, well its no merc, but is definitely quite roomy and rather comfy for vehicle of that type. very easy to drive around, and very nippy! i rather enjoy drivin it durin traffic hours :) in fact, i even drove it up to hill country and back without a single worry.

as for the price, if u had to import it 3 yrs ago, it would have cost u not more than 450 thou. im not too sure of the current prices, but i believe they are goin for abt 9 or so for an unreg.

we havnt been disappointed with that vehicle, i'd say if u made up ur mind to buy one, go for it! for me its been a worthwhile investment!

Cheers!

Small vans typically fall into the KEI vehicle category (650 CC) except for a few like the suzuki which have larger engines perhaps.

Prices are in the range of around 700 or so for a somewhat used ones. Used to be you could get an unreg one for that price but now prices are higher. I'm not exactly sure but I'm estimating still under a million.

FINANCE: May be harder than a normal vehicle but possible if unreg/recently registered.

Drivability: Well if you have regularly driven a 'normal' vehicle you will be disappointed with one of these for sure. On the plus side you get better visibility than normal cars but they are UNSTABLE - i.e. if you find potholes you have to almost swim across them.

That said they are a unique experience and if you are a more patient driver you just may like them.

Let me try to talk about the advantages/disadvantages:

Advantages:

- reasonably capable vehicles. If you look after them they are quite OK (same could be said for most other vehicles though).

- slightly more efficient than a typical normal van/car (maybe 2 - 3 km/l more).

Disadvantages:

- Unstable - due to light weight and high center of gravity these vehicles are somewhat unstable and you have to drive them carefully.

- slightly harder to drive. Due to the tiny engines - they have to be revved up a lot - so driving a stick shift version requires a bit of effort.

- Very little power. Not fast in terms of pickup - particularly with AC - due to the small engine size it's very hard to pick up in a hurry so its hard to keep up with insane local traffic.

- parts used to be very rare (but not so much so now).

Recommendations:

I think the Mitsubishi and Honda versions are good... as for Suzuki and others... not too sure.

Conclusion:

I think it would be simpler to buy a normal slightly used van if this is for personal driving. If you are getting it as a company vehicle, for a driver to drive then I guess it's fine.

Suggestion:

1. Take one of these for a good test drive, and decide if this is what you want.

2. Have you considered tha TATA 207 diesel? It's not a van but it's pretty capable (and you could build something in the back to carry stuff if that's what you want to do)..

thanks saturn,

tata 207 is out of my list. i need a quiet , small , easily maneuverable vehicle.

like sambar for subaru do u guys know the model names for the mitsubishi and the honda.

Any recommended places to look for unregistered battas.

i went through the web searching for different models...i like the shape of suzuki every...what do u guys reckon

Any recommended places to look for unregistered battas.

i went through the web searching for different models...i like the shape of suzuki every...what do u guys reckon

Mitsubishi - Minicab

Honda - Acty

Daihatsu - Trajet

Subaru - Sambar

Suzuki - Avery (I guess)

The Daihatsu and the Suzuki are the more reliable while the Misubishi is the more comfortable.

Will be a bit harder to lease unless you have a good relationship with the leasing company. They find a lot of seizures in that cat and find them difficult to sell off.

Consider the Recon Toyota 2WD Diesel Single Cab. They go under 1.5mil and are bulletproof and relatively more comfortable. The Petrol ones go just over 1mil. Not sure of the consumption though.

Will be a bit harder to lease unless you have a good relationship with the leasing company. They find a lot of seizures in that cat and find them difficult to sell off.

There is an idea. Go to a leasing company and see if they have anything to sell off ;)

thanks saturn,

tata 207 is out of my list. i need a quiet , small , easily maneuverable vehicle.

like sambar for subaru do u guys know the model names for the mitsubishi and the honda.

Hmm.. how about a small car like maybe an Alto.. you could get a brand new one for just over a million..

You can find these vans at some of the car sales.. like the ones at Dehiwala... I remember there were some sales which had lots of these vans.. hopefully someone here knows the location of one.

Again, I would suggest you drive one of these vehicles over a good long route and make sure it's the thing for you because the driving experience is a lot different from a car (or normal van even). Just make sure this is truly the vehicle for you before you buy.

Another thing.. being a van, there isn't much of a front, so in a front on collision you are pretty much screwed.. but you probably already know this...

...O/T... wonder if it would be possible to retrofit one with a real engine (and gearbox perhaps) and create a serious sleeper van...

ps: Kelisa is a car I think.. not sure if they (perodua) make a van...

re: leasing: I know a chap who leased one.. thru peoples leasing I think... eitherway it should be possible.. just check with a few of the companies..

Edited by Saturn