• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carina Or Vios?

kaushj

Which is the better option?

Carina 212 2000, or a Vios 2003?

I know theres a difference in the fuel consumption, the Vios is said to have a better engine- but as an overall car - which ones gets the cake?

Im not looking for street racing perfomance.

I know theres a difference in the fuel consumption, the Vios is said to have a better engine- but as an overall car - which ones gets the cake?

Heard from a reliable source that most Vios cars develop a front suspension noise after a few months running on our roads. Apparently even the agents are unable to rectify the problem. A friend of mine sold his Vios because of the same problem.

Dude, if u think that the Vios has a better engine compared to the Carina, you better think again... Carina is a solid car by far... overall performance is better... the Vios on the other hand is more like a toy, good for sprinting in traffic..!

The suspension problem on the Vios, I believe, is due to the EPS..

I'd still go for a Carina GT if I can get my hands on one.. solid ride, rude power..!

• Like 1

Carina is a larger car of a higher class and comes as a JDM thus the good quality. While the engine is not VVTi like in the Vios, the fuel consumption is a bit more and develops a bit less oomph. On the plus side, The EFi unit in the Carina lasts longer and needs relatively less care than the VVTi on the Vios (develops sludge/ sensor problems but only after a lot of running and a few good years).

Biggest problem with the Vios is the stiff suspension which results in greater impact and greater wear of the running gear (suspension/steering rack etc). Same goes for most other Singapore spec cars including the Mazda 3 BNew Imports.

A 7 year old Carina for 2mil sounds a bit crazy though. What isn't these days?

A 7 year old Carina for 2mil sounds a bit crazy though. What isn't these days?

Really? How much should I offer them? Whats the going price on it these days?

It doesnt have alloys ,got a basic cd player with factory fitted speakers.

Thats about it though.

2 million for a Carina is the going rate I guess.. whats the plates? FB15's unreg go at 2.4 these days..

Its got HD number plates, classic mettalic silver. Very basic. Nothing fancy.Not even alloys like I said earlier.

Price is ok... but its best you look around as tons of carina's came into the country.. and you maybe able to get one with lower millage and a few more extras.. have you considered other cars? Tp12 Primera's can be got for about 22-24ish.. and you'll be able to get a higher grade lower millage car.

Price is ok... but its best you look around as tons of carina's came into the country.. and you maybe able to get one with lower millage and a few more extras.. have you considered other cars? Tp12 Primera's can be got for about 22-24ish.. and you'll be able to get a higher grade lower millage car.

It would be really awesome if you guys could recomend some models for me to go check.

So far I have been looking mostly at toyotas- since thats what everyoen wants me to buy.

I dont want a really really flashy car, soemthing for an everyday car, but which also looks good.

Im not a street racer, so I dont need a reallllyy fast car.

It would be really awesome if you guys could recomend some models for me to go check.

So far I have been looking mostly at toyotas- since thats what everyoen wants me to buy.

I dont want a really really flashy car, soemthing for an everyday car, but which also looks good.

Im not a street racer, so I dont need a reallllyy fast car.

just now saw the thread. well a Carina with 99 upwards with superb condition goes for 20 and above. others goes for less, around a year back got hold of a 99 Carina(Manual) for 18.90 although it was a bit high rate at that time, it was a 1 owner car with 60 on the clock, superb!!

also 96 - 97 Carina's can be found in the range of 16.50 - 17.50 range, as told above, depends on the condition. if you want more fuel economy you can go for a manual OR try for a VVT-i Corolla which has a better market than VIOS/or any other model.

I agree with milidu, Carina is far better than Viso, specially with riding comfortability. carina comes with 4 suspensions, but i don't think viso like that. have a Carina Diesel version (CT 210 Turbo) no big issue so far, and having good performances too. I think 212 TI model goes around 17-19 and Si is bit expensive( 20 - 24), though GT is superb but hard to find spare parts.

I will give you little information. Try to find Carina with 1.5 CC engine with Manual gear box. It is very fuel economical. one of my friend has year 2002 model carina with that spec. but he doesn’t have idea to sell it because it is fuel economical. He is running 10-11kmpl on traffic 12-14.5 kmpl on long trip. The engine model is 5AFE (this engine has fitted to AE100, AE110 models also. Maintains expenses is very low)

Try to go to that minuwangoda place. May be they have un-registered carina. May be u can buy around 15lks-18lks un-registered but RMV will mark the car as Assembled in Sri Lanka. :rolleyes:

Looks like you've got enough advice, but as an Carina Owner...i'd like to part with some (biased) advice.

The Vios is a 'nice' car- but one of my collegues just purchased a Vios S (sport model) which apparently has a slightly different suspension setup and a bodykit. He had some mechanical issues in his first week of ownership- i think it was engine mounts. However, apart from the horrid centre dashboard display, its a newer, better looking Toyota. Given the huge influx of Vios' from Singapore and Thailand, i don't think parts will be an issue now. Long term ownership however, is not something i've heard enough info about.

That said, the Carina is a more solid car- and far more comfortable. Even the GT, which has shorter springs and harder suspension is still very comfortable.

All of the Si/Ti models on our roads are JDMs as it was never marketed outside Japan but Engine and Parts are a non-issue, as i've found that Toyota Lanka carries EVERYTHING...including parts for the GT, which is rarer. The Engines are pre-VVTi era are common to the Corolla and Corona- with only the GT having VVT...and again, TL has all the necessary stock.

I'm told that the fuel consumption between the 1.8 (Si) and the 1.5 (Ti) is marginal, although the 1.5 is slightly underpowered. Trade off is that you won't have to pay Luxury tax (below 1600cc)- that is, if it still exists.

Go for the AT212, which has a slightly updated look and nicer interior finish... but bear in mind that this is a car which is based on a design that is now 10 years old. Repeat: 10 years old.

Good Luck.

Edited by gunat
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot guys.

I asked the owner of the carina 2000 212 for reduction in price, but he wont budge from 2.0Mil.

Theres another guy with a Blue bird Sylphy 20XJ , YOM-2000.Its done 50.000Km. Thats available for 2.3Mil. It has auto and triptronic both 2.0Litre engine, and the guy says it does about 9-10Km/Litre, which I highly doubt.

Plus the dashboard seem to have shifted a little to the left???????

And theres a cigarette burn on the drivers seat.

Also saw a Mark2 Grande - i think it was YOM -1999 or 2000 . Looks classic- but thats 2.6Mil.

Well im back to square 1 again.

But I dont think I will go for a Vios.

I'm sure that Carina owner can sell the car pretty easily for 2mil providing it's in good shape :)

Those cars have good second hand value and are solid rides

TP12 Primera with hyper CVT is a good bloody car and one of my friend has advertised his one on AL classifieds. Very well maintained but it won't be as good on fuel like the Carina but a better ride :)

Hate damn toyota and honda owners...pretty difficult to bargain with those...especially the toyota ones :action-smiley-060:

Hate damn toyota and honda owners...pretty difficult to bargain with those...especially the toyota ones :action-smiley-060:

Hehehe- its actually a bit true- bcoz he was going on and on about how good the car is and thats its a TOYOTA Carina.

Actually the car is in good shape. But it doesnt havd alloys, stil got factory fitted speakers and all.Nothing fancy.

The TP12 Primera looks very nice, ......really nice.

Does it have a 2.0L engine? How well does it do on fuel and what about availability of parts for his.

What about the Blue bird Sylphy 20XJ , YOM-2000?

• 3 months later...
Hehehe- its actually a bit true- bcoz he was going on and on about how good the car is and thats its a TOYOTA Carina.

Actually the car is in good shape. But it doesnt havd alloys, stil got factory fitted speakers and all.Nothing fancy.

The TP12 Primera looks very nice, ......really nice.

Does it have a 2.0L engine? How well does it do on fuel and what about availability of parts for his.

What about the Blue bird Sylphy 20XJ , YOM-2000?

Hey buddy,

A littel tip :dont consider about the fancy parts of a vehicle. Later you can setup good audio system for 20,000 and alloys also for that much of price. Pay ur attention for the mechanical stuff first.

hey any reason why the Cars for sale pics are not loading? Or is it just my machine?

works for me, check if javascript in your browser is enabled

also thats a pre facelift Carina, so either should bargain a bit to get the price down or consider 2M for the facelift Carina a good price