• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

P11 Primera Manual Gear Box

VVTi

Question

Hi as you know, me and my new Primera are getting along quite well. She is no trouble at all and is giving me lot of joy. However, there is an annoying hum when the car moves and one of my friends who is an expert on anything metal and wheels said that it is most likely the gear box and changing the oil and checking to see if the hum is still there will be the first and best action. However I am yet to find the bolt that can be opened in the gearbox to release the oil OR the bolt on top to put the new oil. I really don't like to take it to **W as I personally think they suck. So if there is anyone out there who can help, pls let me know, where the damn bolt is and what it looks like coz I can't find it and the SR20DE is not exactly a roomy engine to work on. Also, what is the normal cost of replacing the clutch as I might as well do all that in one go.

4 answers to this question

hey,

i dont think there'll be that much of a problem if you take it to a service station. they;ll know, and i dont think its that easy to do it at home, putting it up on the hoist makes the whole process easier and faster.

Unless you need to replace the clutch, dont bother cos changing gearoil and a clutchplace arent exactly 'that' connected to each other.

hey,

i dont think there'll be that much of a problem if you take it to a service station. they;ll know, and i dont think its that easy to do it at home, putting it up on the hoist makes the whole process easier and faster.

Unless you need to replace the clutch, dont bother cos changing gearoil and a clutchplace arent exactly 'that' connected to each other.

THanks Dilesh, I am trying o avoid service centers at all costs now. I had a very bad experience and vowed never to sight them places unless i need a undercarriage wash. One quite 'famous' place in COlombo, left out the Oil filler cap and the Power steering cap off my ealrier car and I noticed only 2 days later as I never checked before I took the car out

they refused to accept responsibly and I had to drain the oils again and replace both caps. Since then I do my servicing at home, bought a 2 ton lift jack and vehicle stands and all other stuff that a normal workshop needs.

THanks Dilesh, I am trying o avoid service centers at all costs now. I had a very bad experience and vowed never to sight them places unless i need a undercarriage wash. One quite 'famous' place in COlombo, left out the Oil filler cap and the Power steering cap off my ealrier car and I noticed only 2 days later as I never checked before I took the car out

they refused to accept responsibly and I had to drain the oils again and replace both caps. Since then I do my servicing at home, bought a 2 ton lift jack and vehicle stands and all other stuff that a normal workshop needs.

hmm... then try calling A#W's service department, i'm sure they'll tell you where the gearoil, in out ports are.. though their parts' prices are expensive they help you out over the phone. Atleast UniMo people are.

hmm... then try calling A#W's service department, i'm sure they'll tell you where the gearoil, in out ports are.. though their parts' prices are expensive they help you out over the phone. Atleast UniMo people are.

Well, I solved the problem.

No thanks to the local Nissan Agent. I called to find out whats the factory specified oil is and spoke to the 'lubricant division'. The person who picked up the phone when fielded with this question covered the mouthpiece thinking I can't here and was tells the man next to him, "This man thinks I put the oil in the factory and is asking me the oil used in the factory'. Then he says to me he does not know and give me the name of the 'Manager-Lubricants'. He was too busy to take my call and tells me to call 20 mins later. Meanwhile I checked up on the net, and called another reputed Nissan parts dealer in Panchikwatte and he tells me as long as its SAE 90 and API 5GL I am good with almost any brand.

One hour later, the "lubricant-manager' calls in to say, he 'thinks' I can use BP. But then I told him, thank you very much for the trouble but I am ok, but it would be nice if he can keep the Nissan Workshop manual near him next time if he cant be bothered about knowing his product.

In the end after checking around what I found out was that you get the best deal in your gear oil from humble Ceypetco, as its products equals or exceed (SURPRISINGLY) the API and SAE specs for 1/3 the cost of an imported product. It cost only 3.5 liters, a tube of ABRO Oil treatment and the labour.

BTW, I found the in/out ports for the gear oil. Tricky but easy once you know where it is. I should have listened to my trusted mechanic from the start as he said, don't bother with finding out all these, just use the CEYPETCO as the gear oil is not like the Engine oil

Moral of the story, DON'T trust the AGENT and its moronic employees, most of them don't love cars the way we do, for them its just a job, unless its the TOYOTA agent who in my opinion is the best in SL. Do some research before any purchase or repair as the net is a wealth of info and always make sure you listen and respect the wealth of experience of an older mechanic who has been doing this longer than most of us have been driving

Edited by VVTi