• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Underseal

leonardo

Has anyone gone to cl*** p**k and got that tuff coat underseal thing done? does it really protect against corrosion and make a difference to the overall health of the undercarriage? with all the rain and mud we have in sl i was considering it when i get my next car.

you dont need the Kl.Park stuff..

i dont remember the name but that black thick under coat that comes in the yellow tin does the job well enough... next time you're tinkering/painting your car apply a good thick coat of it under the wheelarches and underbody and it'll stay rust free for a VERY VERY long time. My dad did it to his mercedes (w123) in 1992 and its been rust free since!

another trick i've got from my father is never WASH the underbody with water. When servicing we spray oil on the layer of mud, which when hardened acts as a protective shield.... it works, cos we've never had any underbody rust on any of the cars...

i dont remember the name but that black thick under coat that comes in the yellow tin does the job well enough... next time you're tinkering/painting your car apply a good thick coat of it under the wheelarches and underbody and it'll stay rust free for a VERY VERY long time. My dad did it to his mercedes (w123) in 1992 and its been rust free since!

another trick i've got from my father is never WASH the underbody with water. When servicing we spray oil on the layer of mud, which when hardened acts as a protective shield.... it works, cos we've never had any underbody rust on any of the cars...

Dilesh do you know where your father got this done ? the under body painting, cos to do so don't you have to hoist the car up ?

hey thanks for the info. that's news to me, because most of the service places hose the undercarriage with water and lube right?

Dilesh do you know where your father got this done ? the under body painting, cos to do so don't you have to hoist the car up ?

my father prefers to have tinkering work done at home cos then the tincker cant cover rust up with cataloy and slip off.... anyway at the time i was only 7 years old, but i dont remember the car being lifted with any special hoist... just lifted with the normal jack and help up on more stable stands.. doesnt need to be too high up though... wheelarches arent that hard when you remove the tire right... as for who did it, that tinker did a exclent job with shaping metal but heard he became a drug-adict and went missing...

as the for jeep (4dr5) which was the most recently rust-proofed, the body was removed and simply flipped on its side to do the paining.

yeah, and hosing down the underside may make the bottom lok nicer but who sees it.. and after several years that leyer of oil/mud becomes REALLY hard..

another small tip for rust prevension (on the bottom of doors) is to spray oil into the door's inside (you know the hollow part where the glass winds down into).. prevents rust developing on the lower border of the doors... works like magic!

hey thanks for the info. that's news to me, because most of the service places hose the undercarriage with water and lube right?

I think what Dilesh meant by “never WASH the underbody with water” is not to wash under body with water at home. Not at the service. At service they will wash the underbody with water and carosin to remove oily stuff and then wash again with shampoo.

Finally they will apply a coat of Penetrating oil for protection.

This is why it’s important not to wash underbody with water at home where it will remove the layer of penetrating oil. But remember to wash the wheel arches.

Any this does not apply for new cars where there is a protection layer on underbody.