• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Mark 2 (gx100)

VWvortex

Hi,

It's a very nice car, I owned a 2.5 Ltr VVTi 6 cylinder. Same engine as per the Klugger.

Below are my personal experince , hope it would help.

1. Issues - Not much of any known issues, pretty straitforward. Except very dificult to sell and second hand mkt drops a lot from the original price like most cars above the standard levels.

2.Fuel consumption - 2.5 ltr did about avg 6 -7 km/ p ltr in town and out of town abt 10 - 12.

- Standard 2 litr does little better in town.

3.Availability of spares - Mechanical most parts are common, body parts sam many around Nugegoda Wijerama stretch, quotes little higher than average but still could consider reasonable. You can order any parts thro the Agents too.

4.Variations of it? Are all VVTi? VVti -Think not the early cars, some are 4 Cylinder, most 6 Cylinder both 2 ltr versions.

2.5 ltr bit rare, which ever the 6 culider is enjoyable to drive, Look for beams sign on the engine cover.

Good luck

Tikiri

1. Issues - Not much of any known issues, pretty straitforward. Except very dificult to sell and second hand mkt drops a lot from the original price like most cars above the standard levels.

2.Fuel consumption - 2.5 ltr did about avg 6 -7 km/ p ltr in town and out of town abt 10 - 12.

- Standard 2 litr does little better in town.

4.Variations of it? Are all VVTi? VVti -Think not the early cars, some are 4 Cylinder, most 6 Cylinder both 2 ltr versions.

2.5 ltr bit rare, which ever the 6 culider is enjoyable to drive, Look for beams sign on the engine cover.

thanks Tikiri. Regarding the 2nd hand value, the cars have already been depreciated quite a bit now and are in the region of 2.0-2.5 million. Therefore the drop after this would not be that significant.

I was told the 2.0 litre VVti engine gets about 9 KM in city running. Is that too much to expect? 10-12 outstation is fine.

Also the BEAMS sign implies VVTi does it not?

Cheers

Edited by VWvortex

thanks Tikiri. Regarding the 2nd hand value, the cars have already been depreciated quite a bit now and are in the region of 2.0-2.5 million. Therefore the drop after this would not be that significant.

I was told the 2.0 litre VVti engine gets about 9 KM in city running. Is that too much to expect? 10-12 outstation is fine.

Also the BEAMS sign implies VVTi does it not?

Cheers

The Mark II GX100 (2.0 litre) is a somethign I always enjoy driving (especially on the bumpy roads of Colombo). Pulls pretty decent for what it is. The mileage varies from around 7-9 depending on how careful you are in a mixed cycle.

Look out for cars with high mileage, engine sludge (common on most VVTi engines) and scruffy interiors.

Valve sensors can go bust due to age or water/chemicals during servicing.

Doubt the prices will fall drastically but its not easy to sell being a 'big' car. I find quite a few people who aren't too thrilled with the looks.

The Mark II GX100 (2.0 litre) is a somethign I always enjoy driving (especially on the bumpy roads of Colombo). Pulls pretty decent for what it is. The mileage varies from around 7-9 depending on how careful you are in a mixed cycle.

Look out for cars with high mileage, engine sludge (common on most VVTi engines) and scruffy interiors.

Doubt the prices will fall drastically but its not easy to sell being a 'big' car. I find quite a few people who aren't too thrilled with the looks.

apart from the toyota corolla and a few others its painful selling anything today. people just aren't willing to part with their $ with the current situation.

part exchange is the way to go at the moment. the positive side is you can negotiate with these big car owners and get some good deals these days. hope that when the time comes for you to sell that the situation has improved!

i saw a lovely 2000 YOM cefiro the other day and the owner was willing to flog it for 1.7 mil.

ook out for cars with high mileage, engine sludge (common on most VVTi engines) and scruffy interiors.

Thanks Milindu!

Engine sludge- How should i go about checking this? would removing the oil filler cap and checking the valve cover for any sludge formation be sufficient?

Valve sensors can go bust due to age or water/chemicals during servicing. - Do you know the cost involved? How often do they go bust. I hope its not like the sensor issues with Nissan's

Cheers

Edited by VWvortex

apart from the toyota corolla and a few others its painful selling anything today. people just aren't willing to part with their $ with the current situation.

part exchange is the way to go at the moment. the positive side is you can negotiate with these big car owners and get some good deals these days. hope that when the time comes for you to sell that the situation has improved!

i saw a lovely 2000 YOM cefiro the other day and the owner was willing to flog it for 1.7 mil.

This is for the wife. Hence need something resembling a TANK just to ensure the right levels of safety. Mark II's are quoted much higher than Cefiro's though.

Thanks Milindu!

Engine sludge- How should i go about checking this? would removing the oil filler cap and checking the valve cover for any sludge formation be sufficient?

Valve sensors can go bust due to age or water/chemicals during servicing. - Do you know the cost involved? How often do they go bust. I hope its not like the sensor issues with Nissan's

Cheers

Well just remove the oil cap and use a small rod/ your finger if you don't mind. This is common with most VVTi due to the heat generated and the cheap engine oils used. Ofcourse it can happen with any engine without proper oil changes at different levels of intensity.

Not like the sensors (plug wire sensors - those octagonal looking ones) go everyother day. We have changed almost all the (plug wire) sensors (6x 8k) on a 98 model with 100k on the clock and a couple on a 99. One sensor on a GX 110 and one on a Brand New 121 just after the warranty period. It all depends on the servicing the car has been through.

Having run both Cefiros and Mark II, the Mark II is cheaper to maintain, much better on fuel, suspension setup is more resilient and the car pulls better. The Cefiro looks better as per responses by most people/ clients and costs less.

Well just remove the oil cap and use a small rod/ your finger if you don't mind. This is common with most VVTi due to the heat generated and the cheap engine oils used. Ofcourse it can happen with any engine without proper oil changes at different levels of intensity.

Not like the sensors (plug wire sensors - those octagonal looking ones) go everyother day. We have changed almost all the (plug wire) sensors (6x 8k) on a 98 model with 100k on the clock and a couple on a 99. One sensor on a GX 110 and one on a Brand New 121 just after the warranty period. It all depends on the servicing the car has been through.

Having run both Cefiros and Mark II, the Mark II is cheaper to maintain, much better on fuel, suspension setup is more resilient and the car pulls better. The Cefiro looks better as per responses by most people/ clients and costs less.

Thanks again Milindu. I've found a car with just over 100k on the clock. Appears to be well looked after, with regular maintenence etc. It's a late 99 with the Beams VVti engine. Owner states it does about 7-8 in city with gentle driving. Is that about right? asking for 25

Thanks again Milindu. I've found a car with just over 100k on the clock. Appears to be well looked after, with regular maintenence etc. It's a late 99 with the Beams VVti engine. Owner states it does about 7-8 in city with gentle driving. Is that about right? asking for 25

Hi, BEAMS sign cames on the newer cars like '99. Not too sure whether it implies VVti, but VVTi it is stated on teh cover.

Well, consumption, all depends on driving and road conditions.

Price, I know well that you could get a decent car below 2M, say around 1.7 - 1.8 G no's. There was one down Kohuwala car sale ex company owned and company maintained white car, these days big cars doesn't move so it's a buyers market, my freind got only 15/75 for HE 6xxx abt 3 months back after advertising for months.

Its nice car, good luck

Sounds about right. The price however seems to be on the high side. Pop me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you need any info.

Oh I also forgot, the cables on the electric seat goes bust/ jumps track if you keep changing the seat setting regular after sometime. Our utility guy gets it done at a cable place in Nugegoda.

Check the Sunday papers over the last month including the H*t Ad.

We are on the lookout for a good GX110 and a few 2004 or newer Corolla 121, but the prices quoted make you sick.