• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will I Have To Pay Luxury Tax

fulvia

Hi guys,

haven t been on the forum for a while, i just bought a twelve year old 3000cc car from an embassy just want to know whether i will have to pay luxury tax which is charged for over 2000cc petrol vehicles

Thanks

Twelve years old car or is it registered in SL for the last twelve years?

Anyway, you’ll have to get the payment receipts along with your car at the purchase. There you can check whether you’ll still have to pay or all the instalments already paid. You can pay this amount in one go or in yearly instalments. If it’s overdue, you’ll be charged a fine as well (1/2 times). So check the papers.

I've been told to steer clear of embassy cars- from what i understand, you have to pay full duty (at original import price) to customs before you can register the vehicle.

Plus our fantastic bureaucratic government system doesn't make it an easy transfer. Since it is a 'new' registration, i imagine you will have to pay the luxury tax nonetheless.

I've been told to steer clear of embassy cars- from what i understand, you have to pay full duty (at original import price) to customs before you can register the vehicle.

Plus our fantastic bureaucratic government system doesn't make it an easy transfer. Since it is a 'new' registration, i imagine you will have to pay the luxury tax nonetheless.

i dont think the car is still on the embassy plates....... not sure though....

Fulvia, over to you?

it was registered on diplomatic plates 98- now it is unregistered will get a FZ plate .there is no previous tax certificates since embassy s are free from tax. i would have to pay the same duty as when the vehicle was imported if its not over ten years old ,since its over ten years its 10% of the original duty.thanks anyway guys .

it was registered on diplomatic plates 98- now it is unregistered will get a FZ plate .there is no previous tax certificates since embassy s are free from tax. i would have to pay the same duty as when the vehicle was imported if its not over ten years old ,since its over ten years its 10% of the original duty.thanks anyway guys .

How does this 10 yrs rule apply? Is it 10 yrs from YOM or year of first reg by the embassy

if u can afford to run a 3000cc car at todays petrol price, you better be prepared to pay the luxury tax and more :P Newsflash: Petrol is well over 100 bux!

excuse me... but i dont think that was called for..... fulvia was asking a question that he wanted answered.... whether he has a 3000CC car or a 8000cc car, what right does that give you to comment on it?

i think the 10 year rule applies from the date of first registration

A friend's father had a Intercooler which was brought down for a BOI company and was used for some time. And when the time came for the company to sell it (around 1o years later) he had to pay only 10% of what one would have to pay for a fresh registration.

but i think the best place for this information would the RMV. they have some help-line that gives out all the info regarding registrations/transfers/convertions etc... i dont have the number on me, but if you call the SLT dirrectory assitance they'll be able to help...:)