• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel Pump Failure?

gunat

Question

Most Fuel Injected (Petrol) Cars come with a Fuel Pump- has anyone experienced failure of this unit? I'm willing to think that higher-mileage cars might be more likely to have this problem...

So if anyone has gone through this, could you share the symptoms and indications that your car experienced?

thanks

Edited by gunat

5 answers to this question

Hi, All fuel injected cars have fuel pumps. Many are now mounted inside the fuel tank and a pipe from the pump feeds the fuel rail at the inlet manifold. There is a pressure regulator on the rail and a return pipe carries un used fuel back to the tank. If the pump fails the car will not start as the engine will not get any fuel. This is fairly easy to check there is a pressure check point in most fuel rails covered by a cap very similar to a tyre valve cap. Unscrew the cap and underneath you will find a valve very similar to a tyre valve. With a cold engine to prevent any risk of fire press the centre pin in-just like letting air out of a tyre-fuel should spray out-not dribble out-if safe to doso have the ignition on when trying this.

If no fuel comes out check pipes filter etc as well as the fuse and the relay that controls the pump before assuming the pump has failed. The pumps fail but not as often as pipes,fuses,relay,and wiring which are far more common. The last 2 pump failures I had were from a Honda and a ford which when checking was found to have a japanese style pump as fitted to Many Subaru's. I actually used a pump from a Subaru as this was freely available to me from a Subaru High performance tuning Garage who is a neighbour as well as a friend of mine. And before you ask no it does not improve the power output on its own.

Hi, All fuel injected cars have fuel pumps. Many are now mounted inside the fuel tank and a pipe from the pump feeds the fuel rail at the inlet manifold. There is a pressure regulator on the rail and a return pipe carries un used fuel back to the tank. If the pump fails the car will not start as the engine will not get any fuel. This is fairly easy to check there is a pressure check point in most fuel rails covered by a cap very similar to a tyre valve cap. Unscrew the cap and underneath you will find a valve very similar to a tyre valve. With a cold engine to prevent any risk of fire press the centre pin in-just like letting air out of a tyre-fuel should spray out-not dribble out-if safe to doso have the ignition on when trying this.

If no fuel comes out check pipes filter etc as well as the fuse and the relay that controls the pump before assuming the pump has failed. The pumps fail but not as often as pipes,fuses,relay,and wiring which are far more common. The last 2 pump failures I had were from a Honda and a ford which when checking was found to have a japanese style pump as fitted to Many Subaru's. I actually used a pump from a Subaru as this was freely available to me from a Subaru High performance tuning Garage who is a neighbour as well as a friend of mine. And before you ask no it does not improve the power output on its own.

very good info machan.thanks.

Most Fuel Injected (Petrol) Cars come with a Fuel Pump- has anyone experienced failure of this unit? I'm willing to think that higher-mileage cars might be more likely to have this problem...

So if anyone has gone through this, could you share the symptoms and indications that your car experienced?

thanks

Experienced a failure in a 301- Peugeot 406 some years back. No symptoms it just cut out and the car had to be towed. It too was an in-tank pump. When it was removed, they found that the pump had simply disintegrated. Agents said it was because the car was run on leaded low octane fuel. (This was when both leaded and unleaded were available)

No Surprise, even dealers(agents) in SL talk rubbish. Lead was actually a lubricant used to improve the octane level of petrol. So for some early cars of the un leaded era the major problem was lack of this lubricant property causing engine valves to burn out.

In our new greener world we use Benzine to improve the octane rating of petrol-according to a very highly qualified chemical scientist freind of mine this is a far worse poison causing cancer etc.!

However we the gullible public feel better for using the "Greener" un leaded fuel spending a fortune on Catalytic converters for our cars-which incidentally is worth almost the same money as a poisoned one here in the uk.

The world gone mad!

But fuel pumps just wear out or the electrics just fail-Very rarely anything to do with the fuel you use. Unless you put some rubbish from your re cycle bin in your tank!