• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Us Octane Vs Other Countries Octane Ratings

GearHead

hi guys when i was browsing the net i came accross the following article....hope you guys would see this useful :rolleyes:

In Europe 98-octane gasoline is common and in Japan even 100-octane is readily available at the pumps, but this octane nomenclature is misleading to Americans as foreign octane ratings are derived entirely differently from our own... So, like every other measurement system it seems that everyone else uses a different scale than we do, but unlike most other instances where we have had the good sense to create different units of measure in this case we all use the same name...

Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...

So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )

98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)

100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

So, as you can see the 93 or 94 octane fuel we are all paying an arm and a leg for is actually quite comparable to the higher octane fuels found in Europe and Japan. The people whom have to worry about low octane rating are our friends out west in places like California that are subjected to substandard 91 octane.

91 AKI Octane (US measure) = 95.5 RON Octane

Edited by GearHead

thought of posting this after i saw the topic started by Supra_Natural...hope this would be useful for you bro..

you're right, its very useful

but hell, that means even the 95 octane we have here is equal to the lowest grade of US petrl according to this.... :o

clearly dimos got it wrong about the petrol then...... they insisted that we use only 90 octane....hmmm

you're right, its very useful

but hell, that means even the 95 octane we have here is equal to the lowest grade of US petrl according to this.... :o

clearly dimos got it wrong about the petrol then...... they insisted that we use only 90 octane....hmmm

bro didnt you refer the owners manual? normally there shold be something info on fuel quality in that...if it says to use the best grade petrol that you can find then no big issue ne...

bro didnt you refer the owners manual? normally there shold be something info on fuel quality in that...if it says to use the best grade petrol that you can find then no big issue ne...

the manual refers to US octane unfortunately... it says quote "89 octane or over"...... so since D*MO expressly stated 90 octane.... we went with that... completely unaware of this factor... :unsure:

the manual refers to US octane unfortunately... it says quote "89 octane or over"...... so since D*MO expressly stated 90 octane.... we went with that... completely unaware of this factor... :unsure:

better you use 95 from now on then...me ofcourse never trust the agents that much... :violent-smiley-030:..but the sad this is that D*MO with such a lot of experience missing a very important fact like that..

Anyone know the exact difference in contents of Diesel and Super Diesel?

The chart in the Ceypetco website details the chemical contents, but I fail to see a difference.

http://www.ceypetco.gov.lk/Products_and_Services.htm

i think what is important when it comes to diesel is the Sulphur Content .the super diesel has a significantly lower Sulphur Content compaired to the normal diesel. Any idea about the price difference between the two?

The chart in the Ceypetco website details the chemical contents, but I fail to see a difference.

Difference is in Cetane : Normal deisel = 45 Super diesel =50

Just like octane rating for petrol its cetane rating for diesel

Difference is in Cetane : Normal deisel = 45 Super diesel =50

Just like octane rating for petrol its cetane rating for diesel

This is very Helpfull Information,

Remember This is why JDM Performance Cars have more power than cars which are Shipped Overseas.

For Example

ALL NEED TO RUN 98 RON OR ABOVE (LOW POWER DUE TO EMISION STANDARDS )

JAPANESE MAZDA RX 8 TYPE S 250 BHP

JAPANSES SUBARU WRX 250 BHP

JAPANESE SUBARU STI 280 BHP

1996 CK2A LANCER MIVEC 1.6 175 BHP

CARINA GT ( ALSO I GUESS NEEDS TO RUN ON 98 RON )

NISSAN PULZAR VZR

FOLLOWING CAN RUN LOWER OCTANE LEVELS. THIS WHY HP IS LESS IN THOSE MODELS (LOW POWER DUE TO EMISION STANDARDS AS WELL )

US / SINGAPORE MAZDA RX 8 TYPE S 220 BHP

US / SINGAPORE SUBARU WRX 225 BHP

SINGAPORE SUBARU STI 265 BHP

RUNING JDM CARS OVER HERE IS A KILLING. YOU NEED TO HAVE OCTANE BOOSTER. PLEASE NOTE THAT EVEN SOME PASSENGERS ALSO COME FOR HIGH OCTANE LEVELS LIKE THE MAZDA 6 2.3 SPORT / HONDA CIVIC RS /

I HAVE NOTE READ ANY INFO ABOUT EVOS AND 350Z. BUT I AM SURE THEY WOULD BE THE SAME.

CORRECT ME IF I HAVE MADE ANY MISTAKE. CARS IN RED FONT I AM NOT SURE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT THE NEW RECON ISUZE ELF TRUCK IMPORTED FROM JAPAN WITH A COMMON RAIL ENGINE CANNOT RUN ON DIESEL WHICH IS IN SRI LANKA. IT HAS TO RUN ON EURO 2 DIESEL.

Edited by Velocity

bro according to that chart there is no difference between 90 and 95 octane fuel,

either they sell the Same POS at different prices or the webmaster over there was too lazy to enter those details

:)

This is very Helpfull Information,

Remember This is why JDM Performance Cars have more power than cars which are Shipped Overseas.

For Example

ALL NEED TO RUN 98 RON OR ABOVE (LOW POWER DUE TO EMISION STANDARDS )

JAPANESE MAZDA RX 8 TYPE S 250 BHP

JAPANSES SUBARU WRX 250 BHP

JAPANESE SUBARU STI 280 BHP

1996 CK2A LANCER MIVEC 1.6 175 BHP

CARINA GT ( ALSO I GUESS NEEDS TO RUN ON 98 RON )

NISSAN PULZAR VZR

Yes, yes, I know. Don't rub it in. :)

RUNING JDM CARS OVER HERE IS A KILLING. YOU NEED TO HAVE OCTANE BOOSTER. PLEASE NOTE THAT EVEN SOME PASSENGERS ALSO COME FOR HIGH OCTANE LEVELS LIKE THE MAZDA 6 2.3 SPORT / HONDA CIVIC RS /

What's the octain booster brand U use Dims and on what % ? give somemore details plz...

Very useful thread guys- thanks for bringing up the Octane rating breakdown.

Velocity- I stopped pumping at IOC after having a few noticeable 'engine miss' incidents in my car. A few months later there was a thread here on AL about someone who's Mazda got hamaazzed after pumping fuel at an IOC shed- only to find there was water in the fuel. As a rule of thumb i never pump at IOC now...just can't trust what they are selling. Its either Laufgs or CPC.

I'm surprised that the CGT falls under the list of cars that need a higher octane...although it has a high-compression engine compared to the average Carina...

Out of curiosity, how much is a can of octane boost?