• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Permits

Lucian

Hi Folks,

Seen and read a few articles on permits. This I believe has not come up in any of the threads, please corrct/point me if wrong.

Would like to know views on using a permit holders vehicle. for scenario let's say. both husband and wife are doctors and are entitled to permit. However their requirement is for one vehicle only. Hence they have two options, buy a second vehicle and (a) hardly use it (B) give it to a close relative for use.

And hey, the guys who do not have the previledge of buying under permit taxation scheme are actually paying the difference with the increased taxation. In reality the permit holders brethren are paying the balance.

!!!!read between the lines!!!!!

question, as the plates are read and clearly identifiable would it draw attention with the regulators. Is it actually safe to drive around a vehicle imported under permit taxation scheme. I sure know the pros but what about the cons.

Given that regulators are trying every stint on and off book to fill their pockets with public money.

please reply in terms of

Inland revenu

Impound the vehicle

Change in policy/agreement attributed to politics, country situation

The permit regulations go into detail about the conditions of use of the vehicle. If the authorities act as given then there is no way to get away with using someone elses permit car. However in Sri Lanka there are many laws and regulations that are never enforced. For example the non-transferable permits of the MPs and ministers sell in the open market (well known 'Benz" car incident). But these are of the top people. Authorities might act differently to the average governement servant.

I already heard of cases where these permits have been sold. But then again it is sort of a risk. Best thing to do is wait for a while and see how actually the authorities re-act to it. And then decide whether to go ahead.

Tell your relative to get the permit and keep it. Wait for about 6 months (permit is valid for 6 months). By that time there will be many permit vehices on the road. Then asess the stituation again.

Edited by madmax

Hay guys I'm nuw to the forum,

My advice is to avoide taking chances,

the prices are very tempting with the permit, but the point is whether it is worth the risk

I dont think you have to pay anything to get the permit.. so it wouldnt hurt to keep it in hand, like madmax says... IF you start hearing stories on the police coming down on illegal usage of permits, forget the idea and dont use the permit.

imagine the scenario that you hadnt got the permit, and the goernment didnt care who used the vehicles imported on the permit...then you'd be kicking yourself when the time comes to buy a car under normal tax conditions.

And besides.. its your relative. If you do get flagged down by a cop, you can always say that you were borrowing the vehicle from the owner for a day...

question, as the plates are read and clearly identifiable would it draw attention with the regulators.

How exactly are they vehicles identifiable? Or is the above a typo and you actually meant plates are red? if so, that explains the vehicles I've seen around Colombo with red licence plates....and here i was thinking the owners had a weird taste!!!

I dont think you have to pay anything to get the permit.. so it wouldnt hurt to keep it in hand, like madmax says... IF you start hearing stories on the police coming down on illegal usage of permits, forget the idea and dont use the permit.

imagine the scenario that you hadnt got the permit, and the goernment didnt care who used the vehicles imported on the permit...then you'd be kicking yourself when the time comes to buy a car under normal tax conditions.

And besides.. its your relative. If you do get flagged down by a cop, you can always say that you were borrowing the vehicle from the owner for a day...

Precisely!!!, What the heck!, you can't expect the permit owner to buy the vehicle. drive it by himself, prolly wash it and service it and repair it by himself as well....obviously he /she should be able to delegate some of the less pleasant tasks to fellow family members....(extended family be it!! )