• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Driving In The Us Of A

madmax

Question

Autolanka members living in the US might be able to help me out on this one.

Can we use our Sri Lankan driver's liscences in the US? Some of my office collegues who went on business visits have managed to even rent cars with only our driver's license.

But will that work long term? Also another option available is to get an international driving permit. The requirement is to get a rental vehicle once in a while and do not require to drive daily.

Edited by madmax

22 answers to this question

Can we use our Sri Lankan driver's liscences in the US? Some of my office collegues who went on business visits have managed to even rent cars with only our driver's license.

But will that work long term? Also another option available is to get an international driving permit. The requirement is to get a rental vehicle once in a while and do not require to drive daily.

hey,

When i was visiting the US i had my international lisence with me, and one day while walking along the road i saw a '05 mstang converable for rent and inquired about renting it just fun (never got around to do it though). the guy at the rental said i can do it with my Int. Lisence (and passport). I asked him if they needed any sort of deposit or anything, and he said no.... Anyway to drive there, you're suposed to carry your SL lisence to suport the Int. lisence.

I'd say get an int. lisence and go. will save a lot f trouble explaining yourself to them....

Getting the international lisence isnt that hard... the only tricky part is that the automobile association keeps trying to force their membership down your throat, no matter much you say that you dont want it...

Dont forget to bring us suvenirs :)

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in the US. You do not need to apply for a US driver license unless you become a resident of the US. You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in the US, but the permit has value. The permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver license. A police officer who cannot read the language on your foreign driver license can read the permit. An International Driving Permit is not a driver license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver license in your home country. Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in the US. You can use your Sri Lankan driving license as it is in complete english and our country is a member of the 175 nations listed with the United Nations convention on road and traffic. It is legal to use the Sri Lankan license for a period of 2 months within arrival as long as ur not staying in the United States for more than a year.

If you are staying for more than a year then a United States Driving license is required. However, our license is awesome as we DO NOT need to take the practical part of the test in the US. All u need to do is pass the written exam and you will receive a full U.S drivers license that is valid all over.

Edited by Andrew_GTR

All,

I hear what Andrew is saying - but, the law varies from state to state. Since the US is founded on granting individual states the ability to mandate laws independantly within a federal system, the requirement for international visitors differs from state to state. For example, DMV regulations in Florida vary from those in Connecticut or Massachusetts.

As a general rule, if you are a bona fide visitor to the country (as in on a B1/B2 visa or F1/F2 visa) you may drive on an international license (as in the local SL license - only since it is in english) for the duration of your visit. However, while on a F1/F2 visa, you may be required to acquire a local driver's license with a valid social security number (thanks to the Patriot Act). Therefore, it works best for all if you have an international license. My experience has been that there are some members of the law enforcement community who do not know that Sri Lanka exists (imagine explaining that scene!).

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Went to the AA and they said the Intl license will cost me Rs.7500+ including the membership. You mean to say the membership is not compulsary to get the Intl license?

Hay Madmax - NO apparently not as my college just showed me the receipt and it only cost her Rs.550/- They have tried to shove the membership (as said by another A/L member) but she has said that she won't be in SL to enjoy it.

Sooo should work out

Cheers

If you are staying for more than a year then a United States Driving license is required. However, our license is awesome as we DO NOT need to take the practical part of the test in the US. All u need to do is pass the written exam and you will receive a full U.S drivers license that is valid all over.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that info. I am in the States and have found it difficult to get a license as I am not located close to anyone I know from SL to use their car for the practical test, and was not aware of the fact that you can do only the written test if you have the SL license. Perhaps that's only applicable in certain States, I'll call the DMV where I am and find out, but what did you do, did you just have to show your SL license and be waived from the practical test?

Dude, when you get to the states, get your company to process a SSN for you. You can get this in a matter of weeks. Then goto a local bank and show the SSN along with your passport/visa details and get a bank account/credit card sorted. Collect two credit card statements with the address of the place you are living in US and goto the DOT / Highway Patrol office and apply for a license. The written exam is so damn easy (made for blonde red neck wives!). Then they have an eye exam. After that they will give you a date for the practical test. You can use a automatic for the same. They hardly fail you. Just stop at STOP signs where it says STOP. You can use the DL to buy beer and enter night clubs, t..t.y bars and also check in at airports! :-) .. otherwise you have to carry your sri lankan passport for all the fun stuff.. then they are like "wheeerre uuuurr uuu froom?... Shriiii Laaaankaaa? Wheere da helll is Shri lanka?? ish thaaat in afffrika orr sumthin? gittauddaa maa waaay brown buoy"

Thanks everyone. You guys just saved me 7000 bucks for this nonsense AA membership. As evilmak said will consider getting a DL once there.

I don't plan to buy or use a car regularly though, will survive on the bare minimum as I intend to save some cash to bring home (some of you might know why :rolleyes: ) .

Thanks everyone. You guys just saved me 7000 bucks for this nonsense AA membership. As evilmak said will consider getting a DL once there.

Yeah, you won't beleive how they try to force it on people. They asked me about 6 times!! They con most people into getting it, including those poor people who are going to the middle east for emplyment, and when you look at them you can easily say that 7000 is a LOOOT of money to them.

Yep, Rs.550 sounds about right for the Int. Lisence. The express (2-3 days) costs something like 700 if i'm not mistaken.. But the 550 one takes only around 10 days as well....

chris is right, check with the state's dmv site for any amendments/exclusions to how long you can drive with the SLDL. There was a time (1998) when I walked into the dmv in a southern state and showed my SLDL and said I needed to get the state's DL and they just gave it over the counter, but those days are long gone..

IMHO, ur better off getting an intlDL if you want to avoid the hassle of explaining urself (esp if ur going to a smaller city). Plus I'd rather take my DL to a club/bar than risk loosing my passport (it has happened to ppl I know).

also madmax: thankfully AA membership in the US is free! :)

also madmax: thankfully AA membership in the US is free! :)

Are you sure? cos my uncle (lives in Georgia) says that he pays some 70 odd bucks a year for the family package... this means free road side assitance and you can just walk into their office and get a map (with every single state) of any part of the US for free.... but you DO have to pay an annual membership..

Are you sure? cos my uncle (lives in Georgia) says that he pays some 70 odd bucks a year for the family package... this means free road side assitance and you can just walk into their office and get a map (with every single state) of any part of the US for free.... but you DO have to pay an annual membership..

in the US it's AAA - Automobile Association of America while AA - Alcoholics Anonymous

I sincerely hope ur uncle is not apart of the AA (esp. not the family package) :D

AAA is good - but for anyone with Geico, you can add on roadside assistance etc. (no maps, discounts)) for about $1.50/mo and get google maps for free

Edited by dhp

I never tried driving with a local licence, but I did get a US licence - its quite easy, show up, do a written test, do a simple driving test, answer some simple stock questions, and you get your licence.

Edit, this was before 9/11, Homeland security etc. By now it probably isn't that easy.

Edited by Saturn

Someone once refered to AAA as the best deal you can get in the US. It's actually pretty good. For a small annual fee they give you any map you want, and even include various services like free emergency towing, which is very usefull if you fall into a ditch in the middle of a snowstorm. ;)

Edited by Saturn

However, our license is awesome as we DO NOT need to take the practical part of the test in the US. All u need to do is pass the written exam and you will receive a full U.S drivers license that is valid all over.

Are you sure?? My dad had to take the test, despite having an LK licence.

Perhaps this varies from state to state?

Edited by Saturn

i guess it varies from state to state. i had to take a driving test and written test in TX. i still remember the written test.

if your running down a street and loose your brakes what do u do :

a) roll down ure window and shout for help

B) drive your wheels towards the kerb to slow the car

c) xxx (Cant remember this answer)

even a kid can pass this exam !!! i cant imagine this exam is compulsory and taken seriously !

i guess it varies from state to state. i had to take a driving test and written test in TX. i still remember the written test.

if your running down a street and loose your brakes what do u do :

a) roll down ure window and shout for help

B) drive your wheels towards the kerb to slow the car

c) xxx (Cant remember this answer)

even a kid can pass this exam !!! i cant imagine this exam is compulsory and taken seriously !

Still I guess it can't be any worse than the Sri Lankan exam where they use the same exam for a decade and every learner place knows the questions!

I don't plan to buy or use a car regularly though, will survive on the bare minimum as I intend to save some cash to bring home (some of you might know why :rolleyes: ) .

When I was in Minnesota - had to take the written test + the practical driving test. SL dl did allow me to bypass the mandatory 6 month temp license. Just read the booked they have once & you won't have any problems with either test. Stop at the stop signs BEFORE the white lines, if crossing any sidewalks (like when exiting car parks), stop before the side walk starts, check your blind spots, etc.

The only thing added after 9/11 to my knowledge is that the new US dls now shows when your visa expires. Not sure if it's in all states, but was true in MN, even way back in 2004.

Btw, does anyone know if it is possible to rent cars in the US with just your SL driving license? i know it can be done when coupled with the international driving license, but if anyone knows if we can rent cars with just the SL one, would appreciate any info.

Thanks in advance