• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

F Drag Racing !!! I'm Going Corner Carving!!! ... Update On My Car

Mean Green z28

After I did the 6-speed manual conversion and put back my front sway bar ... took a couple of fast turns and realised that I'd really missed driving fast around corners. For the past four years, I've only drag raced and that quickly got boring when I ran out of money to upgrade (constantly). Sooo....

Yesterday, I put up my drag wheel setup (which is practically brand new with about 10 passes on them) for sale on a local forum and ordered a new suspension kit. I was really happy when it sold in less than 15 minutes and for the price I was asking.

New kit ... Bilstein shocks/struts and adjustable height coil spring setup from Ground Control all around. That was the most expensive thing in my way but the cost was covered by the sale of the wheels. Now I can get the cheaper stuff like the subframe connectors and road race sway bars later. Right now, I should be good for some light spririted "almost get myself killed" driving! :action-smiley-035:

Edited by Mean Green z28

You didn't consider getting a diff car altogether? I don't have the practical experience, but all stories do relate to American cars being ... errrr... not built with cornering in mind.
That's mostly a term that stuck with the older muscle cars. Newer cars are pretty good. As for my Camaro ... not out of the factory, a well set up Camaro (and I stress the set up part) can hold its own at the track. Ofcourse, one of the main disadvantages is that they're heavy compared to the imports <_< but we offset that by that low end torque that you need comming out of turns/etc. ... I'd love to get an older Corvette Z06 in the future but I'm also saving up for when the new Camaro comes out in '09 ... decisions decisions :action-smiley-060: Edited by Mean Green z28

You didn't consider getting a diff car altogether? I don't have the practical experience, but all stories do relate to American cars being ... errrr... not built with cornering in mind.

I know this off topic, but since cornering is the key message here, where can one get a set of strut braces (F&R) for a P11? What will be the cost?

I know this off topic, but since cornering is the key message here, where can one get a set of strut braces (F&R) for a P11? What will be the cost?

There is a place called 'Cefiro Motors' ... they are in the same building as Teck motors - the Honda agents... about 2 shops further down in the same block. They have a lot of parts for big nissans. Could try there

There is a place called 'Cefiro Motors' ... they are in the same building as Teck motors - the Honda agents... about 2 shops further down in the same block. They have a lot of parts for big nissans. Could try there

Thanks machang. Great help

More than the strut tower brace (which will stiffen up the body a bit) you should look more into a beefier sway bar setup if possible. If not available, i guess the strut tower brace is the next best thing. Also, look to see if you can get subframe connectors welded in. If not available, you can get a reputed shop to weld in braces that connect the front and rear subframes together. You can use boxed/round tubing with plates at the ends to weld onto the subframes.

More than the strut tower brace (which will stiffen up the body a bit) you should look more into a beefier sway bar setup if possible. If not available, i guess the strut tower brace is the next best thing. Also, look to see if you can get subframe connectors welded in. If not available, you can get a reputed shop to weld in braces that connect the front and rear subframes together. You can use boxed/round tubing with plates at the ends to weld onto the subframes.

Thanks machang, Must find out if there is anyone who can manage that.

Th P11 will be along term project, he he he he. Moolah is the key. Think I will start off with the braces and do things one at a time.

Here's the final set of pics I took of the car with the Drag wheel/tire setup. Sad to go in another direction but also looking forward to it ... :drivin:

It was cloudy so the colors are crappy and I haven't done any photoshop editing ... these are straight off the camera. Click for larger images.

29023501955.jpg 29023501994.jpg

29023501917.jpg 29023502037.jpg

29023502081.jpg 29023502018.jpg

29023502027.jpg

After I did the 6-speed manual conversion

is it possible to get this car with an original 6 speed?

also, whats your opinion on the Camaro in general? would you recommend one as a daily driver or just a weekend car? what's your avg mpg? how much bhp does the stock car come with and how much have you got out of this one?

I must say.. that's just such a beautiful car!

Edited by Saturn

is it possible to get this car with an original 6 speed?

also, whats your opinion on the Camaro in general? would you recommend one as a daily driver or just a weekend car? what's your avg mpg? how much bhp does the stock car come with and how much have you got out of this one?

I must say.. that's just such a beautiful car!

All Camaro's built after '93 were available with the 6-speed manual trans as a no cost option, mine is a '94 and came with a 4-speed auto. Mine however has nothing remaining of that original powertrain setup except the rear axle 'cos everything's been swapped to a later model drivetrain (LS1 from '98 and newer models) and 6-speed setup. It was a long process but I'm happy. I could've sold this and bought a new one for cheaper but I liked the body style.

As a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're single and live that kinda lifestyle. I know many who do, and I used to use it as a daily driver too. But the fact that it uses only premium fuel and does somewhere like the 18MPG got expensive really quick. Now, a V6 model is available but you're not looking at much performance out that.

My model ('94) came with 275HP and 325TRQ with the original engine (LT1). But with the new engine combo, it put down 401HP at the rear wheels on a dyno earlier this year (but that was with an Automatic trans). Now with the manual conversion and a better tune, I'm expecting it to be higher ... will keep you guys informed about that 'cos I may get it tuned next week.

I'd recommend a '99 or newer LS1 (V8) model 'cos it's got the better engine and computer setup. '98s have the same newer engines but the computer isn't as flexible when it comes to upgrades like turbos/superchargers.