• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A used jeep model as my first vehicle

DARA

Question

Dear All,

I am searching for some advices and opinions regarding my new intention of buying a used jeep model vehicle.

Here are my choices.

1) Pajero SWB- Available one is more than 40 years old with 4D55 Engine 1983.( Which is the closest to me)

Close to the roof there are some rust areas. But as I noted running condition is good. Chassy condition is ok.

2) Pajero junior- There are some juniors in the market.But I am not aware of the spare parts availability.

Manufactured from 1996

SOHC 16 valve petrol Engine.

3) Suzuki Jimny-Difficult to find for an affordable price for me.

4) Suzuki Vitara/Escudo 1998-1.6CC petrol- Quite with an affordable price in the market as I noted. But not aware of the real fuel consumption of it.How is the spare part market and re sale value.

Kindly give me a feed back.

And also What could be the better engine type for the first vehicle? Petrol or Diesel?

4 answers to this question

Out of all the cars on the list, the Vitara would be the best all-rounder. It's not too old, not too new, and parts availability is not too bad but not too easy.

Tinkering work...to do it properly...will cost a lot. Most of the tinkering guys will happily take over the job but do nothing more than just fill it up with cataloy/putty. Plus, it will need painting, and depending on how old the paint is on the Pajero SWB, a new spot of paint might stick out so badly that you will have to paint a large area or even the entire car. Also...my experience with old cars and fixing them up is...if you can see rust outside...then you never know what rust will be there underneath the outer body panels, and there definitely will be. So...although you see some rust on the roof outside..be prepared to find a lot more rush.

The Pajero Jr. is a 1000cc vehicle. So is the Jimny...quite different from the Pajero and the Vitara. So, depending on what you will be using this "jeep" for (i.e. what your expectations are), they might not actually work for you.

18 hours ago, iRage said:

Out of all the cars on the list, the Vitara would be the best all-rounder. It's not too old, not too new, and parts availability is not too bad but not too easy.

Tinkering work...to do it properly...will cost a lot. Most of the tinkering guys will happily take over the job but do nothing more than just fill it up with cataloy/putty. Plus, it will need painting, and depending on how old the paint is on the Pajero SWB, a new spot of paint might stick out so badly that you will have to paint a large area or even the entire car. Also...my experience with old cars and fixing them up is...if you can see rust outside...then you never know what rust will be there underneath the outer body panels, and there definitely will be. So...although you see some rust on the roof outside..be prepared to find a lot more rush.

The Pajero Jr. is a 1000cc vehicle. So is the Jimny...quite different from the Pajero and the Vitara. So, depending on what you will be using this "jeep" for (i.e. what your expectations are), they might not actually work for you.

Thank you very brother.

I actually have no intention of offroading. This is only for the family use. Is there any other choices that I can stick with.

Just now, DARA said:

Thank you very brother.

I actually have no intention of offroading. This is only for the family use. Is there any other choices that I can stick with.

Thank you very much brother.

I actually have no intention of  offroading. This is only for the family use. Is there any other choices that I can stick with.

10 hours ago, DARA said:

Thank you very much brother.

I actually have no intention of  offroading. This is only for the family use. Is there any other choices that I can stick with.

Okay...well if it is just for family on-road use...why do you specifically need a "Jeep" ?
Like..what makes you want a Jeep ? or..what is it about a Jeep (by which I am guessing you mean a 4x4 like a Pajero/LC or a crossover like a RAV4) that makes you want one ?