• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Clear tail lights

Hello there!

I drive Mazda familia BG5P and frankly it's not the best looking car but I love it. I wanted to try doing a few beauty mods but keep the car as stock as possible. I wanted to get rid of the old tail lights and swap it for clear ones. I have a place in mind that does these kind of work however after having a conversation with my dad he mentioned it to me that minor changes like that are illegal and it needs to be approved by the RMV. I tried to recreate what my car would look like on blendr and I kinda like it. Like I said earlier I want to keep the car as stock as possible with just a decent set of side skirts and clear tail lights. I'm just not sure on how to do this. I would really a second opinion on this. Thanks 

1. Clear tail lights:

Do not do anything to the original light cluster. So if you want clear tail lights, just get a new set of clear tail lights and keep the original set in storage. Do not try to modify the existing light cluster by removing the existing plastic covering and putting clear plastic covers.

Secondly...99% of the clear lenses you get in Sri Lanka are cheap chinese knock-offs. They fade, lose luster, and just look crappy after sometime. So...all the reason why you should keep the original set in storage. Also..when you sell the car off the new buyer might not like the clear lights and might want the original ones. If not you dont have the originals you will have to cut down on the price. So keep the original set in storage.

2. Legality

Technically any modifications need to be approved by the RMV. This includes the addition and changing of lights. Body kits, etc... If what you do to your car is the same as what the car came with from the factory, then 99% of the time, you can get away with not seeking prior approval (e.g., installing the original body parts like side skirts, bumper diffusers, etc...). Same with lights...if you replace the factory lights with the lights of the same model or change bulbs to what meets original specifications then you can get away with it. So... taking out the original lights and installing high-power LEDs.. replacing the rear lights with clear lenses, losing the amber color brightness of the signal lights, or reducing the intensity of the red of the brake/parking lights is a definite no.

Now...the RMV does not have resources to monitor all this...and the police does not have resources to enforce the law diligently and consistently. So you will get hassled by the cops on the road depending on their true intentions. Also, if you get pulled over for being an @** on the road or cause an accident then your troubles can get multiplied as the cops start pulling out all these issues with your car. 

3. Actual modification

What I would suggest is you restore your car to original condition and if you must try to find the factory body kits and accessories. This is easier said than done.

You can also do some modest modifications keeping in line with the whole period correct JDM enhancements (i.e. what the Japanese youngsters would have done back in the day when the car was in Japan). 

a. Suspension: Do not cut springs or anything. Lowering the height can cause (practical and legal) issues in the long run. Try to get coilovers (i.e. adjustable suspension system). TEIN has a good range of suspension solutions. New ones are pricier than the price for your kidneys and heart. However, you might be able to score a used set for a more reasonable price. Alternatively, there are more cost-efficient brands from Malaysia, Thailand, etc..that have somewhat of a good reputation.

b. Wheel: See if you can get period-correct Japanese wheels. Do not go for cheap Chinese knock-offs. Those are NOT safe. So...look at actual Enkei, Watanabe, etc.. wheels. Used ones can still be found at reasonable prices for regular sizes (13 or 14 inch). When upgrading the wheels do NOT increase the wheel size. If you must, increase it to whatever the largest size Mazda put on the BG5P (my guess is it is 14 was the standard for the higher trim models including the INTERPLAY and 13 for lower trim variants [?]). 

c. Body kit : Mazda original body kit FTW :) Subtle..yet practical. For the standard BG5P trims you are looking at the front and rear bumper diffusers and side skirts and a little spoiler similar to what you might find on an INTERPLAY or GT. 

d. Lights : Keep the original. Period correct, clean lights look more elegant. It's the difference between Tom Cruise in a tailored tux vs. him dressed up like a Flava-flav. If you must, fix an original set of driving lights, and maybe lights from a higher trim (sometimes the lower trims came with cheaper light options with different bezels and garnishes.

e. Exhaust: You could get a proper exhaust system done. By that I do not mean to stick a beet can in there...get a proper exhaust system (preferably with a mild tune to the intake) done up so that the car breathes better. With a proper exhaust system, the car will be quiet in slow-moving traffic, idle, etc..but will have a nice little rumble when you drive it "enthusiastically". If you put a beet barrel in there, it will be too noisy all the time, and you will be getting pulled over by the cops.

The above modifications technically will require RMV approval. However, since you are not changing the height of the car (coilovers give you the option of lifting or lowering the car or leaving it at stock height whenever you feel like it), increasing the size of the wheels or altering any of the other core specifications and only putting on with what the car could have come out from the factory you will be able to get away with it. However, you should try to talk to the RMV about the mods. Since the above mods are all "factory/original" like upgrades from the manufacturer there is no reason for the RMV to say no.

Finally...IT IS YOUR CAR! YOUR MONEY! DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY ! YOUR CAR SHOULD BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR LIFE AND PERSONALITY AT THIS TIME IN YOUR LIFE. It is up to you to go ahead with what you originally thought of and take into account anything I or anyone else says. HOWEVER, WHATEVER YOU DO, MAKE SURE THAT THEY CAN BE UNDONE! So let it be lights, body kits, suspension or interior changes, make sure that if need be it can be undone and brought back to what it was originally.