• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Re-registration

Arc Angel

Question

25 answers to this question

guys,

A friend of mine said that it's possible to change the registration numbers of older models (300, 301 etc) to english numbers for a fee.

is this true?

let know if its true. (i will be so happy to hear it) :rolleyes:

but RMV offered it only when they started moving to English Plates for a small period, unfortunately it was not given that much publicity, and many missed the opportunity :(

i believe the option is still available for 300- and above cars. many people are not doing it because it is the same price as a new registration.

thanks fuzzo. Thats really great to know.

I've never registered a new car, so if you don't mind, could you please let me know how much it costs?

hi machans

Please acknowledge me on these.

1) Is this service still available?

2) Is it only available for the 300 and above petrols.

3) Is it not available for diesels

4) will they upgrade a 64-1XXX to English plates

thanks a million

well.. i inquired from someone who's IN, and unfortunately its NOT.

but seeing fuzo's 2nd post, it makes me RE-inquire, as i too have a small plan and if this service is available it'll be kwel!

looks like bad news, boys... Spoke to my friend who gave me this info... wwe called his contact at the RMV and he told us that this was only possible for 98- or 325- diplomatic plated vehicles.... or for disel to petrol converted vehicles...

Still not conviced I called the RMV myself and asked and that guy laughed at me like I was a silly little child.

I'm still not giving up though... I'm sure there is something that can be done here......

Fuzzo, any new updates on this?

Still not conviced I called the RMV myself and asked and that guy laughed at me like I was a silly little child.

AHA! my dad had the same face, when i asked him about this, he made a phone call, but just wanted me to talk about the REGARDED my self! oh my!!!! he said he is not in a position to sound stupid with them :action-smiley-060:

Edited by Kim

The FZ letters are given for DPL vehicles which are re-registered. If there was way to get english no plates for 300 & above cars many people would have got new plates.

converted can take the FZ plates too..

here's the link...slight error on the date i mentioned though..

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/fullsto...p;SEARCH_TERM=7

Motor traffic department swaps new plates for old

Sri Lanka?s motor traffic department is drastically changing its ?English? numbering of vehicles and returning to the old format while retaining the new-type number plates.

The changes, which are just being introduced, retain the two English letters denoting the province where the owner resides, but cars, vans, motorcycles, trucks and other vehicles will in future, have their own distinctive prefixes.

Under the system introduced in 2001, all vehicles, irrespective of the type of vehicle and the type of fuel used, were allocated numbers starting with ?GA? with each set of letters running up to number 9,999.

The diplomatic community was allocated plates bearing the letters ?DP?.

By the end of June, the running series was KA, but the department stopped issuing this series to any vehicle other than cars.

New registrations for cars start from ?KA?, motor cycles ?MA?, motor coaches ?NA?, three wheelers ?QA? and so forth.

The plates will also show the type of fuel being used ? ?P? for petrol, ?D? for diesel, ?E? for electric and ?G? for gas.

Laws to register gas vehicles have not come into force yet, but the department has left room for that too, Commission of Motor Traffic, V Wijeratne told LBO.

?The old system was somewhat better, but we ran out of numbers so the department changed to English letters starting with GA for vehicles registered from 2001 onwards,? Wijeratne said.

The switch comes following complaints from police and general public that they are unable to distinct vehicle types from their number plates, he explained.

?The police complained to us that people were removing plates of three wheelers and motorcycles and putting them on cars and vans to commit unlawful activities like crime and robberies,? Wijeratne said.

Meanwhile, owners sporting numerical number plates can pick up an ?English? number by paying registration fees once again.

Letters AA-FZ have been allocated to this category, which Wijeratne says is sufficient to register over 200,000 old vehicles.

But the move backfired, after vehicle owners refused to pay again to acquire an alphabetical number plate.

However, the offer is still stands open to anyone wishing to take it up, he said.

Sri Lanka is also one of the few countries in the world that does not issue numbers adding up to 13, for fear of bad luck.

Fees for the new licence plates will remain as usual, starting from Rs. 3,550 for a motor car.

The department also sells ?vanity plates? or ?golden numbers? at over Rs. 8,000 a piece.

Meanwhile, the traffic police, who?s mandate includes doing spot checks on vehicle registrations, are quite in the dark over the new number plate system.

Lucky Peiris, Senior Superintendent and Director Traffic Police was aware of the decision, but said that the department has not received a formal notification yet.

According to Central Bank statistics, new vehicle registrations were up 60 percent to 223,842. New registrations have slowed somewhat, after the government virtually doubled import taxes last October, in a bid to curb the island?s fuel bill.

Vehicle category

New registration

Motor cars

KA-KZ

Motor lorries

LA-LU

Fork lifts/heavy vehicle

LV

Ambulances

LW

Lorry-trailers/bowsers

LX

Prime movers

LY

Hearse

LZ

Motor cycle

MA-MZ

Motor coach

NA-NZ

Dual purpose vehicles

PA-PY

Invalid carriage

PZ

Motor tricycle

QA-QX

Three wheelers

QY-QZ

Land vehicles (tractors)

RA-RR

Earth moving vehicles

RS-RU

Tractor- trailer/bowser

RV-RZ

Two wheel tractor

SA-SZ

Source : Department of Motor Traffic

here's the link...slight error on the date i mentioned though..

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/fullsto...p;SEARCH_TERM=7

Meanwhile, owners sporting numerical number plates can pick up an ?English? number by paying registration fees once again.

Letters AA-FZ have been allocated to this category, which Wijeratne says is sufficient to register over 200,000 old vehicles.

But the move backfired, after vehicle owners refused to pay again to acquire an alphabetical number plate.

However, the offer is still stands open to anyone wishing to take it up, he said.

Source : Department of Motor Traffic

sent a re-inquire.. will see, mite be able to ask from who issued this news :rolleyes:

Oh man! thats a 2005 LBO article. We cant expect it to be accurrate. Does anyone know any up to date info on this..

When looking at the number plates of the recently registered vehicles nothing seems to have changed from 2005.

it's ok boys... lets not get too hooked on numbers... it's the quality of the vehicle that matters... :)

(i hope that didn't sound like I was calling the grapes sour :D)

But unfortunately the numbers afftect on the re-sale value.