• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pajero 4D55 nonT

DARA

Question

I have found a paj MK1 that is in good condition but with non turbo 4D55.

I have been told by several people that this engine does not give a good pickup in riding and in overtaking.As to them this has been called as  " Gona model".

My quetions are as follows.

1) Is there any accelaration problem and is it difficult in overtaking?

3) Does it worth for 4.1 mil?

(Others attributes are in good conditon.No chassis issues.No legal problems.Nice car 1986)

2) Is it possible to convert to TURBO? Then what would be the cost?

2) Is it much better to go for a 4D56T with a few more lacks?

3 answers to this question

18 hours ago, DARA said:

I have found a paj MK1 that is in good condition but with non turbo 4D55.

I have been told by several people that this engine does not give a good pickup in riding and in overtaking.As to them this has been called as  " Gona model".

My quetions are as follows.

1) Is there any accelaration problem and is it difficult in overtaking?

3) Does it worth for 4.1 mil?

(Others attributes are in good conditon.No chassis issues.No legal problems.Nice car 1986)

2) Is it possible to convert to TURBO? Then what would be the cost?

2) Is it much better to go for a 4D56T with a few more lacks?

1. Well, the 4D55 in non-turbo form would have put out about 70hp and about 180Nm of torque when new. You are not going to break any land speed records with that. But considering the time (the 80s), this was the norm. These engines were designed to be lazy, no-frills, low-stressed workhorses.

After nearly 40 years, it's likely that the engine has lost quite a few horses. So, will it be slow ? Yes...would it be decent enough to drive around town and do the occasional casual outstation trip yes. THe latter qould require some patience on your part.

A 4D56T engine, when new, had a bit more horsepower and torque. However, these too would have worn out by now.

2. Is it worth for 4.1mil? Only you can answer that. Do you think you are okay with paying 4.1mil for that car? What else can you get for that price? Are the few extra HP and Torque you might get with the 4D56T? Is the extra price worth it for you ?

3.  Theoretically yes...practically...getting it done will be a pain. There will be many pundit baases who will jump and do it for you but 99.9% of them would just muck up a perfect car. A good conversion is going to be costly. So if you plan on sticking a turbocharger in there for a few extra horsepower, then you might as well have saved yourself the trouble and bought a 4D56T engined Pajero in the first place.

4. Again. That is something only you can answer. All other things being equal (i.e. when the cars were new), would the 4D56T had been better ? Yes ! Especially the later versions. But after 40 years there are many other factors to consider. A good, honest, clean 4D55 Pajero would be better than a 4D56T Pajero, which is somewhat questionable. At the end of the day...the Mk1 Pajero is loved for its simplicity and is appreciated for its nostalgic and classic value. So cleaner it is the better and more appreciated.

At the end the answers to all of the above questions also depend on what you hope to do with the car. Are you planning on going offroading ? Taking part in rallies? A daily driver to work ? Cruiser to explore the country ? Work horse on the field ?

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:02 PM, iRage said:

1. Well, the 4D55 in non-turbo form would have put out about 70hp and about 180Nm of torque when new. You are not going to break any land speed records with that. But considering the time (the 80s), this was the norm. These engines were designed to be lazy, no-frills, low-stressed workhorses.

After nearly 40 years, it's likely that the engine has lost quite a few horses. So, will it be slow ? Yes...would it be decent enough to drive around town and do the occasional casual outstation trip yes. THe latter qould require some patience on your part.

A 4D56T engine, when new, had a bit more horsepower and torque. However, these too would have worn out by now.

2. Is it worth for 4.1mil? Only you can answer that. Do you think you are okay with paying 4.1mil for that car? What else can you get for that price? Are the few extra HP and Torque you might get with the 4D56T? Is the extra price worth it for you ?

3.  Theoretically yes...practically...getting it done will be a pain. There will be many pundit baases who will jump and do it for you but 99.9% of them would just muck up a perfect car. A good conversion is going to be costly. So if you plan on sticking a turbocharger in there for a few extra horsepower, then you might as well have saved yourself the trouble and bought a 4D56T engined Pajero in the first place.

4. Again. That is something only you can answer. All other things being equal (i.e. when the cars were new), would the 4D56T had been better ? Yes ! Especially the later versions. But after 40 years there are many other factors to consider. A good, honest, clean 4D55 Pajero would be better than a 4D56T Pajero, which is somewhat questionable. At the end of the day...the Mk1 Pajero is loved for its simplicity and is appreciated for its nostalgic and classic value. So cleaner it is the better and more appreciated.

At the end the answers to all of the above questions also depend on what you hope to do with the car. Are you planning on going offroading ? Taking part in rallies? A daily driver to work ? Cruiser to explore the country ? Work horse on the field ?

Thank you very much iRage for your lengrhy answer.Also please tell me is 4D55 more fuel efficient than 4D56 or will it give a higher rate due to extream accelararion when there is a need of having a fast speed?

On 8/24/2024 at 12:34 AM, DARA said:

Also please tell me is 4D55 more fuel efficient than 4D56 or will it give a higher rate due to extream accelararion when there is a need of having a fast speed?

Yes, to both questions. On daily city driving and you drive rather leisurely it might give you slightly better fuel economy. However when on the open road or with a heavy load or you drive with a heavy foot that engine will have to work a bit harder than the 56 so it might give slightly worst fuel figures.

Bottom line is..don't buy a proper 4x4/SUV because it is cheap or with fuel efficiency in mind :)

• Thanks 1