• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Engine Oil To Ne Used?

Ruslan

Question

Guys i have Toyota Corolla 122 (1ZZ-FE Engine) 1.8 Liter One. I have goggled about which engine oil to be used in my corolla. most sites (Including www.mobiloil.com) says 5W-30 to be used on normal conditions? i don't know whether this will be changed according to regions? anyone guys? :unsure:

guys, what the real deal with flushing the engine? good? bad?

and this might be a really dumb question, but how does one assertain whether sluge has built up in the engine?

Using Diesel oil for flushing

A question came up some time ago about using diesel-rated oils to flush out petrol engines. The idea was that because of the higher detergent levels in diesel engine oil, it might be a good cleaner / flusher for a non-diesel engine. Well most of the diesel oil specification oils can be used in old petrol engines for cleaning, but you want to use a low specification oil to ensure that you do not over clean your engine and lose compression for example. Generally speaking, an SAE 15W/40 diesel engine oil for about 500 miles might do the trick.

Mate.

If you don't know something just say "I don't know." Don't tell lies and bull talks. Visit fallowing web links and gain knowledge.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/

Clearly this man has a problem in understanding things:

My response 'Mate'- was directed at this comment from you: "Mobils XHP or Castrol GTX so far so good. but remember to use mineral engine oil if you are using 95 Octane Petrol. There is a practical issue using fully synthetic oil and 95 Octane."

I repeat that this comment is genuine BullS!!!

I really don't know what your trying to prove to me in relation to the links you posted. The second one directs to some dead page as well lol The first page has no evidence to prove your '95 octane not good with synthetic' theory. And just in case you dont understand, Pilawoos was not disputing the fact that engine sludge does build up!

Go on now Nilantha... prove me wrong after using your extensive knowledge expertise :)

Mate.

If you don't know something just say "I don't know." Don't tell lies and bull talks. Visit fallowing web links and gain knowledge.

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/

The most common factor in sludge buildup is mineral oils combined with a lack of maintenance by the car owner combined with harsh driving conditions.

I'll read the whole thing and see if it says anything about 95 and synthetics, but this is one the first page.

Nilantha, this page has NOTHING on the octane rating of fuel causing any problems with synthetics. If anything, you can understand that higher octane fuels are used in higher compression engines, and since higher under-hood temperatures, tighter engineering tolerances and overworked engine oils turned out to be contributors to the sludge, if you use mineral oils with the higher performance, hotter running engines, then you will be more likely to build up sludge, rather than synthetics which were specifically made to combat this issue.

As for some of the questions posed by Ruslan when opening this thread, what you can get out of this is

1. Toyota says if you follow recommended maintenance scheduling, you wont have a sludge problem, irrespective of synthetic or mineral. The Court did not decide which side was right. Toyota has decided to settle instead of getting into a long drawn out courtcase, probably since they already had a program in place to cover sludge damage in addition to the warranty. Also, on this site Nilantha has given it clearly mentions the vehicles effected, and the Corolla is NOT one of them.

2. You should not CHANGE from mineral to synthetic on high mileage engines.

3. Don't use additives.

Nilantha, lets try to be a little more responsible when giving advise, OK? If you were going on experience or improper info and had come to a mistaken conclusion, thats ok, mistakes happen, and someone has a good chance of correcting you. Thing is, you had the correct information and still came to a mistaken conclusion to suit something you heard.

Thanks for the links tho. Carbible is one for the bookmarks.

lets try to be a little more responsible when giving advise, OK? If you were going on experience or improper info and had come to a mistaken conclusion, thats ok, mistakes happen, and someone has a good chance of correcting you. Thing is, you had the correct information and still came to a mistaken conclusion to suit something you heard.

Well said Peri! This is applicable to many so called experts here!

The formation of sludge can be attributed to a complex interaction between soot, engine heat, additives in fuel, additives in engine oil, water, acids and dirt. If left unchecked (if engine oil is not changed regularly), the sludge will cause friction among moving metal parts, and finally result in the engine seizing.

The fact that engines operating on synthetic oils are more prone to the problem can be traced down to the long oil change intervals taking place in them, sometimes even over 15,000 km. Be sure to change synthetic oil every 8-10,000 km and normal mineral oil every 3-4000 km.

The only justification for saying there is any link to using 95 seems to be that engines where manufacturers recommend 95, are generally ones that manufacturers recommend Syth. However, it is clear that the culprits for sludge are additives and bad maintenance habits, not just using 95 and Synth. :rolleyes: Manufacturers don't recommend stuff that causes their cars to break down. Thats kinda bad for business.

Use than manufacturer recommeneded fuel, oil, and follow the manufacturer recommended service intervals, and you shouldn't have any issues.