• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Beats muffler

Supun AJ

On 9/14/2024 at 9:39 PM, Supun AJ said:

guys today i was stopped by a cop and he told me beat mufflers are prohibited in sri lanka.i was driving this car for now 6 years this was there when i brought it from Japan. Does anyome know the legal aapects of this?

You are not allowed to modify the car (i.e. change it from original/factory spec) without the approval of the RMV and subsequent endorsement by the RMV certifying the modification in the CR. So, the only way a "beat silencer" is acceptable in SL is if and only if you can prove that the exhaust came with the car from the factory (e.g., performance exhausts in cars like WRXs, Evos, and other performance-type cars). Now...if the exhaust was fitted in Japan it should be JASMA certified. Sadly that is not recognized in SL unless the manufacturer fitted it. If this actually was fitted in Japan, then it should not be loud, especially at low RPMs, which is probably why it didn't cause you any trouble with the authorities all this time. This time around, there probably was something else that drew their attention to you. Either, for some reason, the exhaust was loud (slight leak ? you revving too high?), or the cop just looked at the car and noticed the large tailpipe diameter.

Sadly, there is no proper legal aspect for this. There is nothing that tells what the tailpipe sound levels should be (what there is for the front horn). Then there is also the fact that cops don't have proper sound measuring equipment so it is just the cop's word against your's. These cops have no idea about cars and which is what. So you are at a disadvantage right from the get-go. Even if you can disprove the cop, then they still can hold you for illegally modifying the car from its original specification (even if it is done in Japan).  This has been an age-old battle, and no one has found a way around this. Go to the police station after putting on a standard exhaust or with evidence to prove that it is a factory-installed item.