• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gear Change Issue :(

ThunderBolt

Hi all

When I’m driving my car I feel that my car has control over the gear change (it’s a FORD Laser manual). When I’m driving mostly in traffic when the speed is almost zero and if I want to put to first gear from second it’s bit hard (like car prevents me from changing to first). When the car is not moving and to move I can change to first without any blocking). Even for second and third also the same situation. Wonder whether the vehicle speed controls my gear change?

Are you sure that the speed is '0' :) In most synchros there is a mechanism (can't remember the name) to keep you from accidentally shifting to first while moving and damaging the engine. Since you say you have no issues starting from a stop, I think this can be the reason.

Try to rev match at the down shift and see whether the problem goes off. If it does, thank the synchro blocker for all the times it prevented you from damaging the engine. I never down shift to first while rolling. I try to get a way with the second, unless I come to a standstill :D

Hi all

When I’m driving my car I feel that my car has control over the gear change (it’s a FORD Laser manual). When I’m driving mostly in traffic when the speed is almost zero and if I want to put to first gear from second it’s bit hard (like car prevents me from changing to first). When the car is not moving and to move I can change to first without any blocking). Even for second and third also the same situation. Wonder whether the vehicle speed controls my gear change?

Hm... isn't this normal? I think it's to stop you from dropping into first and over-revving the engine. I've had something similar in the two cars I've owned. It isn't really an issue unless there's a real reason why you need to drop into first while you're moving.

There's also another issue with Ford/Mazda Laser/323/Familia's, at least the older ones. There's a little bracket in or around the gearbox that can sometimes break. It's a cheap and easy fix but if it goes then you can lose your lower gears. I had it happen once and had to drive 10K to my mechanic with no gears lower than third. It was a very interesting experience. :action-smiley-060:

If I'm traveling with a load, to get a pickup when the car is slowdown, I need to switch to fist. Otherwise i have to switch off the AC and accelerate hard to get it move in second. Is this normal? Coz it's really a headache for me in traffic

I am no expert. But i think this is not normal <_<

/bigDaddy

I am no expert. But i think this is not normal <_<

/bigDaddy

Oh, that doesn't sound normal... but it doesn't sound like a gearbox issue either. I'd think it would be a good idea to check the engine out. I've got an eighteen year old Mazda with a 1.5l EFI engine and it pulls fine in second even with heavy loads. A four-year old car should be able to do at least as well. Unless you're hauling a tonne of concrete in the back, of course. :rolleyes: