• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is This True Regarding Metallic Paints ?

AppleBee

Hi all ,

First of all nice to meet all you guys on autolanka.

I have a Toyota Corolla car which is metallic gray (sliver) colour. It has few scratch marks on side mirror, bumper and the body. All of them are small.

I wanted to remove those and asked from a guy at garage. He told me that those metallic paints can’t do touch up work/dent fixing, because can’t get the exact colour. Therefore I have to paint a whole side of the car which cost 40K.

Is this true ?

If not from where can I get this done?

Hey welcome to Autolanka ! MMMMMM! I think you r mechanic must be some one with little amount of knowledge or he may be trying to Rip you off by doing a Big paint job rather that touching up the places that you needed! IMO dent s can be fixed and can be repainted to look as original !

Edited by Dj shan

Hey welcome to Autolanka ! MMMMMM! I think you r mechanic must be some one with little amount of knowledge or he may be trying to Rip you off by doing a Big paint job rather that touching up the places that you needed! IMO dent s can be fixed and can be repainted to look as original !

Hi mate,

Glad to hear that. I m also the same boat like appleBe. can you recomand a place with contact no. :rolleyes:

Hi all ,

I have a Toyota Corolla car which is metallic gray (sliver) colour. It has few scratch marks on side mirror, bumper and the body. All of them are small.

I wanted to remove those and asked from a guy at garage. He told me that those metallic paints can’t do touch up work/dent fixing, because can’t get the exact colour. Therefore I have to paint a whole side of the car which cost 40K.

Is this true ?

Your mechanic is actually not wrong (he isn't right either) it is terribly difficult to get the exact colour and often you end up with a 2 to n tone paint work because of touch up jobs. The thing is this is true in all paint work metalic or otherwise.

Though its terribly difficult it can be done, as long as your painter knows what he is doing, and the mixing center does its job, but might take more than 1 attempt

The other options is to see if these scratches can be polished out and then top the pain up with a clear coat for protection

Edited by The Don

Hi all ,

Is this true ?

yes he is correct. Colour match is very difficult. Now your car paint is burned from sunlight. if you paint your car matching old colour it will deferent when it burn.

Yup,

I had the same experience..... and I got it painted at Spre* Mec* (said to be an expert in paiting)... they guaranteed a 99% color match but messed it up big time. Even after the 2nd attempt.

My front fender is a darker shade compared to the rest of the car.

But surprisingly I had my front bumper painted at a small Garage and they managed to get a 99% color match.

So, I guess it all depends on the color mixing, and also I assume that If you use good branded paint you can overcome the mismatch to some extent.

Find a good painter. or I can recommend mine.

Metallic Colours, unlike flat, "burn" in the sun so once a repaint is needed, you are sure to get a shade difference compared to a fresh coat of paint.

So to the perfectionist, a total body repaint might be the way to go.

That said, i think Applebee mentioned that his scratches are minimal- so you should be able to get away with a good cut&polish. Kl*enpar* or P*tst*p have stellar packages for this.

P*tst*p uses Autoglym polishing products, and there is a specific package for scratch removal and paint renewal...

Note however, if your scratches are deep (ie. to the primer/undercoats), don't expect complete removal...

good luck.