• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fibre Experts!

Ripper

Hello Gang

I'm planning to embark on a small home project, sorta DIY thing and needs some local expertise on fibre materials, their availability etc etc

Mainly i wanna know about fibre cloth material that's available in SL, where to buy them, some info on epoxies etc.

Would appreciate if any of you guys who know their way around these materials could give me a helping hand :)

Hello Gang

I'm planning to embark on a small home project, sorta DIY thing and needs some local expertise on fibre materials, their availability etc etc

Mainly i wanna know about fibre cloth material that's available in SL, where to buy them, some info on epoxies etc.

Would appreciate if any of you guys who know their way around these materials could give me a helping hand :)

are you planing to do a body kit ? lol, In SL for all types of bodykits people use Boat fiber, u can buy fiber mats, powder, and some chemicals somewhere in boralasgamuwa but they sell stuff in KG's, as i know there are 2 chemicals that u cant mix together, so u have to be bit carefull, and i think Dims may know better abt Fiber than any of us here

are you planing to do a body kit ? lol, In SL for all types of bodykits people use Boat fiber, u can buy fiber mats, powder, and some chemicals somewhere in boralasgamuwa but they sell stuff in KG's, as i know there are 2 chemicals that u cant mix together, so u have to be bit carefull, and i think Dims may know better abt Fiber than any of us here

He, He,,,,, when u say... 'sells the stuff in KGs'... reminded me of a car i saw at the Garage last week. Some Guy had spent over 300k getting some very fancy bodywork done with new lights and the works and when it was finished, the car was too heavy for the suspension. He then had to modify the suspension to be able to drive the car out of the garage without dragging on the road... finally after some time the Gearbox had busted because it couldn't take the strain of the added weight....... :lol:

Hello Gang

If you need Epoxy and Carbon Fiber contact me. If you need any fiberglass and polyester resin tell me your location i will can tell you a supplier.

Epoxy Resin will not bond with the fiberglass, It only bonds with carbon fiber, but you can reinforce the Carbon Fiber with Fiberglass.

He, He,,,,, when u say... 'sells the stuff in KGs'... reminded me of a car i saw at the Garage last week. Some Guy had spent over 300k getting some very fancy bodywork done with new lights and the works and when it was finished, the car was too heavy for the suspension. He then had to modify the suspension to be able to drive the car out of the garage without dragging on the road... finally after some time the Gearbox had busted because it couldn't take the strain of the added weight....... :lol:

Yeah i agree with you. Its always better to have a kit which flows with the style of the car.

91411140vz4.jpg

what would be the price for a small bumper lip ... somthing similar to carina GT ? but not the same design... its a custom design... thanks

any type of fiberglass shop can do it. It will cost around Rs 10,000-12000.

First Build a Mock Up and Fiberglass it.

It will cost a similar amount to get it painted.

yeah, Fiber, Catloy paste and potty :action-smiley-060:

Wowee...so many replies so fast...

thanks guys...

AL rocks thanks to all you guys for making the time and effort to write in...

really appreciate it :)

First of all...no this is not for a motor related thing.

Don't laugh now just here me out :)

I'm into outdoors a bit and always wanted to have about 2 single kayaks and maybe a tandem canoe too.

have been checking the local market for these but so far i'm not happy with what i've seen.

most of the ones i've seen are too heavy, finish is not good, bad style etc etc

So i finally decided to take a bold step and build my own to my specific needs :)

have been scouring the web for DIY plans and good tech support and finally found a site that offers it...

the building method is that you construct the hull with marine grade ply wood and fibre the wooden structure with fibre cloth and epoxy...

seems like a bit of work but i think i can handle it if can get through the glassing process that i have not much knowledge about...

http://www.bateau.com/ is the site and they give basic instructions on how to handle fibre stuff

Velocity

thanks mate and btw bloody nice bodykit... now why can't most of out kit lovers to do something nice like that eh. I've seen some horribly designed ones that are just too painful to look at even and never mind the practicality of it. But i guess that's what certain people like and who am i to critique :)

Onto my possible project....

How expensive is carbon fibre material and epoxy resin?

what i want to do is to cover a wooden frame inside and out of a canoe with fibreglass for both strength and waterproofing...

the site i gave earlier says to epoxy saturate the wood and apply fibre cloth on to this wet surface and finish off with a few coats of epoxy on top...

the fine finishing will come with lotsa sanding according to them..

I think i need to buy this fibre cloth material either carbon fibre or the normal fibreglass as you say, and epoxy material both resin and hardener...

In your opinion you think carbon fibre is better for this or will fibreglass and polyester resin will get the job done...

I'm staying in wattala at present but can scoot around to get hold of the material if you can give me a contact :)

appreciate any advice for a first time fibre handler :)

If you need Epoxy and Carbon Fiber contact me. If you need any fiberglass and polyester resin tell me your location i will can tell you a supplier.

Epoxy Resin will not bond with the fiberglass, It only bonds with carbon fiber, but you can reinforce the Carbon Fiber with Fiberglass.

Hey Velocity, Bro will you be able to help me out here!!! I have a Ford Laser & Is there any compatible body kits for my car??? I have attached a PIC of it!!! Can you please let me know where can I find a Smart Bodykit for it???

http://img164.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0025cg7.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0028hh8.jpg

Thanks & Regards

Shiran

Wowee...so many replies so fast...

thanks guys...

AL rocks thanks to all you guys for making the time and effort to write in...

really appreciate it :)

First of all...no this is not for a motor related thing.

Don't laugh now just here me out :)

I'm into outdoors a bit and always wanted to have about 2 single kayaks and maybe a tandem canoe too.

have been checking the local market for these but so far i'm not happy with what i've seen.

most of the ones i've seen are too heavy, finish is not good, bad style etc etc

So i finally decided to take a bold step and build my own to my specific needs :)

have been scouring the web for DIY plans and good tech support and finally found a site that offers it...

the building method is that you construct the hull with marine grade ply wood and fibre the wooden structure with fibre cloth and epoxy...

seems like a bit of work but i think i can handle it if can get through the glassing process that i have not much knowledge about...

http://www.bateau.com/ is the site and they give basic instructions on how to handle fibre stuff

Velocity

thanks mate and btw bloody nice bodykit... now why can't most of out kit lovers to do something nice like that eh. I've seen some horribly designed ones that are just too painful to look at even and never mind the practicality of it. But i guess that's what certain people like and who am i to critique :)

Onto my possible project....

How expensive is carbon fibre material and epoxy resin?

what i want to do is to cover a wooden frame inside and out of a canoe with fibreglass for both strength and waterproofing...

the site i gave earlier says to epoxy saturate the wood and apply fibre cloth on to this wet surface and finish off with a few coats of epoxy on top...

the fine finishing will come with lotsa sanding according to them..

I think i need to buy this fibre cloth material either carbon fibre or the normal fibreglass as you say, and epoxy material both resin and hardener...

In your opinion you think carbon fibre is better for this or will fibreglass and polyester resin will get the job done...

I'm staying in wattala at present but can scoot around to get hold of the material if you can give me a contact :)

appreciate any advice for a first time fibre handler :)

sorry for the delayed reply.

bro for you work i think fiberglass is more than sufficient. let me know your email and i will find a supplier for you.

Velocity bro...

there seems to be a supplier in Mt. Lavinia who promises tech support also when you purchase the good from them...

you have any more info on this :)

thanks in advance

hey dims

thanks for the contact info...will try and go there in person to checkout the stuff myself :)

i'm highly curious about these sorta stuff...

btw... had a look at your website and man the stuff you've done is awesome :)

great to see a sri lankan doing great stuff...keep it up brother and proud to have known you...all be it via the www :)

cool looking site too mate :)

keep up the great work and best of luck with future business plans etc :)