• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drag Racing In Sri Lanka!

fastcar_fan

Hello People,

Im new to this forum but have been around the car scene for some time. I've never really got to know the people in the drag racing scene but have been on many occasions to the races in the good old days three or four years ago. However, i was on my way home around 3 weeks ago and stumbled across some very high powered cars racing on Green Path near nomads cricket ground. I saw a Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer 6 (if im not mistaken the badge said Tommi Makkinen Edition) a Black WRX STi (i think version 7) and a older STi 4 or 5 race each other. There was also a few cars parked on the other side of the road with the notable Hondas as usual. I was happy to see these races once again but the crowd was no where close to what it was years past. I did ask a friend of mine who is very involved in the drags about this night and he said that sometimes on saturdays the drags do happen. He said that the night i saw these cars drag was actually after a long time. Im also a Evo fan so if im not mistaken and correct me if im wrong im sure the Evo 6 did beat both the STi's that night? impressive. The subaru's did sound awesome however. The point im coming to is that i would like to know from anyone on these forums whether they know any of the Owners of the Evo or Subaru's and if they are going to drag again? and if the drags are on tonight since it is a saturday? Im also happy to have found this site since i used to frequent ########.com before it was shut down. Thanks guys and let me know.

Cheeers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on behalf of team Autolanka wellcome to the A/L forum :D . i don't think drags are happening thesedays because of the countries situation :( . there are a bunch of dragsters in this forum. i hope they will be able to give you a proper answer :rolleyes: . enjoy..... ;)

on behalf of team Autolanka wellcome to the A/L forum :D . i don't think drags are happening thesedays because of the countries situation :( . there are a bunch of dragsters in this forum. i hope they will be able to give you a proper answer :rolleyes: . enjoy..... ;)
e

THE REAL STORY BEHIND SRI LANKAN STREET RACING

I have a couple of my friends who own STI's and one who owns a brand new RX8 (red). Well to start off with there Is nothing called actual drag racing in Sri lanka. Even this bit came after all of Sri Lanka watched the Fast and the Furious from UNIVERSAL some time back. Since then some enthusiasts who owned less expensive performance cars like GT,vtec,civic even primera :angry-smiley-048: started copying the trek..I have even seen some baby jokers imitating the same things I saw on those movies.. :angry-smiley-048Eg:-Once I was going past greenpath, i saw some normal eg8 vtecs together they imitated the same bull shit on that movie. All cars parked at a stretch together and all drivers standing beside them like as in an army parade. Suddenly a very slow moving POLICE mitsubishi Galant came slowly towards then wondering what this crap is??? To my amusement all of those so called "STREETRACERS BUDIES"ran..like as if they were chased by a rodeo bull..,to their respective cars..But the POLICE car went past then still very very slowy wondering whot the crap happend. FRankly they didnt wanna know why those cars were their, neither they wanted to know who was their. Cops were just wandering why these guys were wasting their time out showing normal civic with multi colored bodykits.(the whole incident waslike a circus and full of colors)good to show to kindergarden kids :angry-smiley-048: on a weekend.

All those drivers were some jokers and wannabes just like in the movies.

But not to forget and underestimate that there are some guys around with some superb cars who are Genius players of the wheel and also own Evo's and Subaru's but haven't race a single time, neither they wanna show off, since they know what they are capable of.. :D

Hope you got the real picture now. :rolleyes:

Hello People,

Im new to this forum but have been around the car scene for some time. I've never really got to know the people in the drag racing scene but have been on many occasions to the races in the good old days three or four years ago. However, i was on my way home around 3 weeks ago and stumbled across some very high powered cars racing on Green Path near nomads cricket ground. I saw a Mitsubishi Evolution Lancer 6 (if im not mistaken the badge said Tommi Makkinen Edition) a Black WRX STi (i think version 7) and a older STi 4 or 5 race each other. There was also a few cars parked on the other side of the road with the notable Hondas as usual. I was happy to see these races once again but the crowd was no where close to what it was years past. I did ask a friend of mine who is very involved in the drags about this night and he said that sometimes on saturdays the drags do happen. He said that the night i saw these cars drag was actually after a long time. Im also a Evo fan so if im not mistaken and correct me if im wrong im sure the Evo 6 did beat both the STi's that night? impressive. The subaru's did sound awesome however. The point im coming to is that i would like to know from anyone on these forums whether they know any of the Owners of the Evo or Subaru's and if they are going to drag again? and if the drags are on tonight since it is a saturday? Im also happy to have found this site since i used to frequent ########.com before it was shut down. Thanks guys and let me know.

Cheeers!

Yeap Drags are happening thesedays, and 3 weeks ago i didnt went but last week there were many cars, Evo 6 TME, Black STI 3 Type RA, Skyline, Honda Turbo my subaru and so many super cars,

last week the Black Sti3 Type RA beat the Evo 6 TME

e

THE REAL STORY BEHIND SRI LANKAN STREET RACING

I have a couple of my friends who own STI's and one who owns a brand new RX8 (red). Well to start off with there Is nothing called actual drag racing in Sri lanka. Even this bit came after all of Sri Lanka watched the Fast and the Furious from UNIVERSAL some time back. Since then some enthusiasts who owned less expensive performance cars like GT,vtec,civic even primera :angry-smiley-048: started copying the trek..I have even seen some baby jokers imitating the same things I saw on those movies.. :angry-smiley-048Eg:-Once I was going past greenpath, i saw some normal eg8 vtecs together they imitated the same bull shit on that movie. All cars parked at a stretch together and all drivers standing beside them like as in an army parade. Suddenly a very slow moving POLICE mitsubishi Galant came slowly towards then wondering what this crap is??? To my amusement all of those so called "STREETRACERS BUDIES"ran..like as if they were chased by a rodeo bull..,to their respective cars..But the POLICE car went past then still very very slowy wondering whot the crap happend. FRankly they didnt wanna know why those cars were their, neither they wanted to know who was their. Cops were just wandering why these guys were wasting their time out showing normal civic with multi colored bodykits.(the whole incident waslike a circus and full of colors)good to show to kindergarden kids :angry-smiley-048: on a weekend.

All those drivers were some jokers and wannabes just like in the movies.

But not to forget and underestimate that there are some guys around with some superb cars who are Genius players of the wheel and also own Evo's and Subaru's but haven't race a single time, neither they wanna show off, since they know what they are capable of.. :D

Now Drags are different, thsedays if u come to drags u can see most of the cars are Evos and Subaurs, and some Fast Honda's too

But have you got the real picture? For one thing, just coz "your friends" have good cars, it doesn't mean anything about YOU, or put you in a position to judge. What were you expecting, Top-Fuel drag cars, the full lane setup with lights and timing equipment? Judging by your description of multi colored bodykits, this has to have been years ago. Multi colored bodykits went out of style once the police started catching them. Easy targets. As for slowly cruising cop cars, there have been times when green path was blocked on both ends by cops with assualt rifles. Cops didn't know what was going on? Thats co-ordinated. Plenty of other trouble at other spots. Thats also why the scene went quiet, coz no one wants a trigger happy cop to start putting T56 rounds into their cars!

If you don't know what your talking about, then don't say anything. Hope you got the real picture now. Oh, and FYI, there are quite a few more cars than "normal civic with multi colored bodykits" around even way back then. Try http://www.autolanka.com/drag.asp

There are also people with superb cars who are "genius players" behind the wheel who do race. Now THEY know what they are capable of, coz they have done it. They don't need to imagine what they are capable of.

you've got the picture all wrong buddy... all the participants are responsible people who also own STi's and Evos and want to know where their cars stand in a casual drag... unlike your fast and the furious comparison, the local drag racing scene is not about fame and fortune...

don't make childish statements if you don't know what goes down in the drags and the people involved cos they've been doing it for ages...

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult

--Miscellaneous Proverb

That is NOT miscellaneous in any way, shape or form! <_<

It is a direct quotation from the Holy Bible - Book of Proverbs, Ch.12 Verse 16 (New International Version)

Drag races in Colombo progressed quite a bit from what you experienced Priya! I wouldn’t generalise the local drag scene by saying stuff like '' All those drivers were some jokers and wannabes just like in the movies'' people do what they can for a bit of entertainment/adrenaline rush!!

I know plenty of individuals who did upgrade their motors ie. up rated fuel Clutches/turbo's/fuel pumps ,remapped ecu's/diffs and a bit of tacky NOS to name a few as opposed to the multi coloured bodykits. Don’t get me wrong there were some who tried hard wanna bee’s...

It was quite a different time driving around the streets of Colombo looking for locations and hanging out with motor enthusiast talking about all sorts of Sh*t in to the wee hours of the night at the steps of pilla!! As peri said things did get quite out of hand at times!! old times!!

Drag racing originated with youth in the states grabbing an old scrapper and running it as fast as pos on a piece of road or waste ground for fun. It has now developed in to a serious motor sport with a lot of people all over the world, however those who try to emulate them should not be classed as wannabee's we all are wannabee's to something or other. So enjoy the scene and take part if you can, you do not need a pro fuel racer or an EDVO,STI etc etc, just a sense of fun and a deep enough pocket to afford a few replacement parts for your car if you brake it!

And for those who like it, try and find a safer place like a disused air field or a private road and a basic stop watch, you are meant to race against the clock not each other so have some serious fun as well as be safe.

Maithri

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

--Miscellaneous Proverb

:rolleyes:

actually the REAL fool is the one that showed annoyance at the people trying to have some fun with their cars... you make one hell of an example...

and since we're on the trend of quotes here's my contribution:

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity - Martin Luther King Jr.

actually the REAL fool is the one that showed annoyance at the people trying to have some fun with their cars... you make one hell of an example...

and since we're on the trend of quotes here's my contribution:

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity - Martin Luther King Jr.

:angry-smiley-048: THANK YOU VERY MUCH :angry-smiley-048: Seems like you cannot take anything and get annoyed at once. Here's my token for that.

Wise people are foolish if they cannot adapt to foolish people.

--Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

:angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048:

Hay drags are happening...........why dont u drop by on saturdays........... :violent-smiley-099:

Hello People,

Cheeers!

:angry-smiley-048: THANK YOU VERY MUCH :angry-smiley-048: Seems like you cannot take anything and get annoyed at once. Here's my token for that.

Wise people are foolish if they cannot adapt to foolish people.

--Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

:angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048:

look dude, thanks for blessing us with you plethora of quotes. I suggest you continue to stay home and practice your quotes while us "fools" enjoy what we love best.

Suddenly a very slow moving POLICE mitsubishi Galant came slowly towards then wondering what this crap is??? To my amusement all of those so called "STREETRACERS BUDIES"ran..like as if they were chased by a rodeo bull..,

FYI, the car I was riding in was kicked by cops who ran behind it one night on GP. Actually dented the car.

But not to forget and underestimate that there are some guys around with some superb cars who are Genius players of the wheel and also own Evo's and Subaru's but haven't race a single time, neither they wanna show off, since they know what they are capable of..

if you ask me, only an idiot would not know what the car of this nature is capable of. But owning one and knowing how to drive one is a totaly different ball game. I do agree, there ARE many excellent guys who don't drag anymore, but they have proved themselves at some point or another. else they would just be guys who "THINK they could go fast if they wanted to"...

anyways, I can'r afford to preach too much cos I havent run. But I truly cherish these events. so please don't peddle your ideals to the rest. if you can't appreciate it, stay away.

Edited by Arc Angel

Hey Mads, MiniAce, ...... This thread is about to explode :angry-smiley-010::sport-smiley-005::violent-smiley-009: !!! Why dont all of us arrange to meet up this Saturday Evening :party: and have a Peaseful Chat & have a nice time :alc: !!! I think it would be a cool Idea for a Get to geather after some time :yahoo: !!!