• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Idle Dropping

2F2F

Question

16 answers to this question

Can any1 help me on this.....EG8(S carb).....Engine stops whn its in idle....This prob cam once early too.....That time i clean the carb and it was ok fora while....And nw its back....Any thoughts on this......

Dear Bro,

This is something related your ignition system. Get your air fiklter cleaned, Change spark plugs if required, Clean the carburator and tune up.

Carburator Banda at Kosgas Junction is good for carburator works.

Can any1 help me on this.....EG8(S carb).....Engine stops whn its in idle....This prob cam once early too.....That time i clean the carb and it was ok fora while....And nw its back....Any thoughts on this......

Whats the present idle RPM? Does it happen when every time it idles? Adjust idle and keep at or slightly above 750 and see! Just a simple 2 minute screw-work.

MINIACE

Whats the present idle RPM? Does it happen when every time it idles? Adjust idle and keep at or slightly above 750 and see! Just a simple 2 minute screw-work.

MINIACE

Its around 750/800 nw....Bt suddenly it drops and stops.....

Try cleaning the carb again-then fit a new in line fuel filter just before the carb.

Maithri

I had a fuel filter block in my previous eg8. If the filter is blocked it the idle will drop and stop enve when running, not only at Idle.

I agree with Mini. I too feel it is a matter of adjusting the Idle-screw. Would prolly help to check the plugs and filter out while your at it.

I had a fuel filter block in my previous eg8. If the filter is blocked it the idle will drop and stop enve when running, not only at Idle.

I agree with Mini. I too feel it is a matter of adjusting the Idle-screw. Would prolly help to check the plugs and filter out while your at it.

im gettin da same issue again.cleand da carb,spark plugs also ok.bt no progress.im nt sure abt da petrol filter bt da garage fellow is sayin thrs nthng wrng wit da filter.

Edited by 2F2F

i had a similar issue... idle drops too much when the AC has fully cooled the car to the set temp on climate control... Without AC all was ok but with AC the problem persisted...

sent the car to my uncle who normally takes care of these things for me and even after 2 visits to the AC joint and 12k down the road...problem was there...

I was managing until recently i developed starting problems... Only a day later the car completely died on me...

Took it toyota and they diagnosed the ECU was bust with the distributor... they were saying that the problematic distributor(delco unit) would've burnt out the ECU too...

Got both replaced and now the car is idling nicely at 750rpm and no more stalling issues...

Maybe this situ is not as same as ones faced by other members but point to consider is that at times, even things like distributors can cause these sorta stalling issues

Thunderbolt

have you lubes the throttle cable recently... a sticky cable too can cause something like that

i had a similar issue... idle drops too much when the AC has fully cooled the car to the set temp on climate control... Without AC all was ok but with AC the problem persisted...

sent the car to my uncle who normally takes care of these things for me and even after 2 visits to the AC joint and 12k down the road...problem was there...

I was managing until recently i developed starting problems... Only a day later the car completely died on me...

Took it toyota and they diagnosed the ECU was bust with the distributor... they were saying that the problematic distributor(delco unit) would've burnt out the ECU too...

Got both replaced and now the car is idling nicely at 750rpm and no more stalling issues...

Maybe this situ is not as same as ones faced by other members but point to consider is that at times, even things like distributors can cause these sorta stalling issues

Thunderbolt

have you lubes the throttle cable recently... a sticky cable too can cause something like that

Aggree with Ripper here, one of the primary symptoms of partial ECU failure is idle hunting (going up and down erratically) or rough idle

There is also a device which is responsible for advancing the engine sometimes referred to as the IDLE control unit and faults in this unit or the throttle position sensor could also cause there problems.

Similarly problems with the throttle body (may require cleaning, the butterfly may not be sealing properly or may have worn down), and the vacuum system (punctured tubes, leaks etc) can also cause the same and there are probably the things to look at before looking at other things.

Aggree with Ripper here, one of the primary symptoms of partial ECU failure is idle hunting (going up and down erratically) or rough idle

There is also a device which is responsible for advancing the engine sometimes referred to as the IDLE control unit and faults in this unit or the throttle position sensor could also cause there problems.

Similarly problems with the throttle body (may require cleaning, the butterfly may not be sealing properly or may have worn down), and the vacuum system (punctured tubes, leaks etc) can also cause the same and there are probably the things to look at before looking at other things.

In my case...all those other things you've mentioned were checked and turned out to be ok... my usual garage didn't have facilities to "test" the ECU and they never even thought that would be the culprit... in my case it was the bad distributor that burnt the ECU too