• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Favorite In-car Subwoofer

Ripper

Started my hunt for a Sub :) Some of m friends are telling me that the "brand" is not so important when you're just looking for bass and hence branded subs are not really needed...

Me being who i am :angry-smiley-048: don't really buy that argument :)

So in your experience and opinion... what's the best subwoofer for a car audio system.. :)

Not talking about massive subs like the MTX Jackhammer etc... but all that ranges between 10inches to 15inches or so :)

Did a lot of googling on car subs and it seems to be a very interesting and rather complicated topic :)

I'm trying to get an MTX Thunder 9500 15inch single sub for me... will have it unless some looser over bids me on ebay :violent-smiley-099:

Ripper good topic. I know almost zilch about subwoofers, but need one soon. My car has a average Pioneer stereo but I replace the standard with Rockford speakers and a Sony amp that I had. badly need a woofer for that deep base.

What are the top 3 in your opinion and what kind of cost?

Ripper good topic. I know almost zilch about subwoofers, but need one soon. My car has a average Pioneer stereo but I replace the standard with Rockford speakers and a Sony amp that I had. badly need a woofer for that deep base.

actually i also have no personal experience with subs :( Just got my first system installed in the car :action-smiley-060:

Have no idea about local prices but i was told by some AL members earlier that anything decent starts over 15k or so... that is without an amplifier...

From what i have read... JL audio, Massive Audio, MTX are all in the high end market while Kicker, RF are in the mid range... Audiobahn is supposed be value for money but you gotta be spot on with you rigging or the voice coils tend to go bust... at least that's what i've read so far :)

I'm bidding on a MTX 15 incher on ebay...if that fails have to check something else out...

Sony, Pioneer seems to be down the ladder with relatively cheaper prices and so is Blaupunkt...

Lets see what our more serious audiophiles have to say about good bass generating system... both the subs and the amps and the rough costings :)

Why not go for an active Sub...? saves space in your boot. Will be a bit cheaper too.. I use an Infinity 250watt

(just a thought)

to my knowledge...Active subwoofers are powered subs... they come in their enclosure and got an integrated amp so all you need to do is just hook it up to your system without a separate amplifier... Yes they save up space are are relatively cost effective and are lighter too... but not sure if they can match up to a proper powered sub in a good enclosure and amp setup...

So far my 6x9's are giving me acceptable level of bass... good enough to make one of the plastic trims at the top of the back glass to come loose...

But it lacks that deep thump i'm after.. :) that weird sensation you get in your chest cavity when all your internal organs are getting rattled by sheer bass power :)

I think an active sub is a huge improvement over a no-sub situ... but for bASS lovers you need powered sub with a good amp and a box :)

what happened to all the audiophiles at AL eh? :unsure: I refuse to believe that there's only a handful number of bass fans here :lol:

to my knowledge...Active subwoofers are powered subs... they come in their enclosure and got an integrated amp so all you need to do is just hook it up to your system without a separate amplifier... Yes they save up space are are relatively cost effective and are lighter too... but not sure if they can match up to a proper powered sub in a good enclosure and amp setup...

So far my 6x9's are giving me acceptable level of bass... good enough to make one of the plastic trims at the top of the back glass to come loose...

But it lacks that deep thump i'm after.. :) that weird sensation you get in your chest cavity when all your internal organs are getting rattled by sheer bass power :)

I think an active sub is a huge improvement over a no-sub situ... but for bASS lovers you need powered sub with a good amp and a box :)

what happened to all the audiophiles at AL eh? :unsure: I refuse to believe that there's only a handful number of bass fans here :lol:

Big Fan of Bass Ripper, though I for the moment am quite happy with the 6X9 that I have and combined with the cavity of the boot gives me acceptable level of bass.

Have always been an audiophile, though there is an argument a car is not the ideal place to listen to music in. The problem is some of the notes have sound waves longer than the car itself :)

So following that argument though an active sub ain't as good as a proper sub, the difference might be insignificant when you are listening to music from inside the car.

On a side point, with sound systems with a lot of bass and power, a secondary issue is the vibration ! In the sense I get very annoyed when other things start resonating as a result !. Plus thanks to our wonderful roads plastics etc come loose and resonate fondly !. In my old car even the speaker covers use to make funny noises and it took a lot of work to cut it all out. So just a wee bit of warning of the side effects of lots of bass in a car !.

I invested a bit of money and brought myself a proper home cinema amplifier when I finished uni and came home many moons back. I ran out of money after the amplifier so the speakers I got were Yamaha surrounds with an active sub and the quality was very very reasonable (considering the money I spent on them). But the great annoyance was the window glass would all start vibrating and resonating every time the sub cut in so I need to find a carpenter to take all the window glass out and put some rubber damping material in and fix the glass back on (something which I'm yet to do since I ended up here !)

Big Fan of Bass Ripper, though I for the moment am quite happy with the 6X9 that I have and combined with the cavity of the boot gives me acceptable level of bass.

Have always been an audiophile, though there is an argument a car is not the ideal place to listen to music in. The problem is some of the notes have sound waves longer than the car itself :)

So following that argument though an active sub ain't as good as a proper sub, the difference might be insignificant when you are listening to music from inside the car.

On a side point, with sound systems with a lot of bass and power, a secondary issue is the vibration ! In the sense I get very annoyed when other things start resonating as a result !. Plus thanks to our wonderful roads plastics etc come loose and resonate fondly !. In my old car even the speaker covers use to make funny noises and it took a lot of work to cut it all out. So just a wee bit of warning of the side effects of lots of bass in a car !.

I invested a bit of money and brought myself a proper home cinema amplifier when I finished uni and came home many moons back. I ran out of money after the amplifier so the speakers I got were Yamaha surrounds with an active sub and the quality was very very reasonable (considering the money I spent on them). But the great annoyance was the window glass would all start vibrating and resonating every time the sub cut in so I need to find a carpenter to take all the window glass out and put some rubber damping material in and fix the glass back on (something which I'm yet to do since I ended up here !)

thanks Don for the input :)

I also have 6x9's at the back and cos it's a sedan and the boot is mostly empty on average it does give a good bass feel...

A buddy of mine has got twin 12's diecock subs in his V35...powered by the stock headunit which gotta be behind my new pioneer 6950... he doesn't have 6x9's but the thump you get off those subs is not even close to what my Alpine type R 6x9's give... Diecock is not the best sub brand too :P

And for active or powered subs... i have not tested one or haven't heard from one and i'm comparing it from what i have read on the web...

and most of these subs have little power ratings when compared to non-powered subs :)

and about rattling... thanks god though my car is really old... there's not much of rattle noises just yet :) even at full volume :)

so i'm gonna take m chances and dive in for a good sub...

heading out of office for lil while...will writ again :)

You have a point...

But believe me, active subs are quite effective if installed properly and balanced.

However, it all depends on how much noise one would want in their car. Purpose differs from person to person. Most guys use their car stereo to power up neighborhoods.. I mean, park the car with all doors open, sit outside and listen to music.

On the other hand, I personally like it a bit loud (not too much) when listening to that acoustic beat in good quality while driving.

All in all it depends on the individual need...

You have a point...

But believe me, active subs are quite effective if installed properly and balanced.

However, it all depends on how much noise one would want in their car. Purpose differs from person to person. Most guys use their car stereo to power up neighborhoods.. I mean, park the car with all doors open, sit outside and listen to music.

On the other hand, I personally like it a bit loud (not too much) when listening to that acoustic beat in good quality while driving.

he he... i would never want to power up the neighborhood.. :lol: live in a very quiet area and i'll get stone or summin if i do that :)

I've seen the fellas you're talking about when you go to nuwara eliya for the season :)

mostly van buggers with huge systems just park their rides and open the backdoor and blast the living daylights passers-by :lol:

My personal need is that big thump... not necessarily loud... it's a weird one to explain but if you've stood near a big speaker that's blasting away you feel that weird sensation in your chest cavitiy... that's what i'm after :)

Now mostly listen to house music though 70's were my thing sometime ago so the bass really helps :)

And my friends dual 12 system does it to a point but not upto my specs :) maybe cos he has a factory headunit...

I'm not sure but i assume that you need a big woofer cone to move that much of air to get that feel and an active sub with relatively low air movement don't deliver it...

You have a point...

used to have a JBL Active Sub myself and vouch for the fact that its quite competent at delivering just the right bass levels, without the hassle of having to do much wiring & box building...

For crisp & clear sound with a touch of bass effect, i'd say my old Infinity + JBL combo was most satisfactory! :)

btx250843es3.th.jpg

the only issue is with the cops ,cuz they just don't know what to make of it!

(i've heard everything from "rocket ekkak wage" to "Gas cylindere da?" :action-smiley-060: )

used to have a JBL Active Sub myself and vouch for the fact that its quite competent at delivering just the right bass levels, without the hassle of having to do much wiring & box building...

For crisp & clear sound with a touch of bass effect, i'd say my old Infinity + JBL combo was most satisfactory! :)

btx250843es3.th.jpg

the only issue is with the cops ,cuz they just don't know what to make of it!

(i've heard everything from "rocket ekkak wage" to "Gas cylindere da?" :action-smiley-060: )

i would also recommend the JBL active sub, i had 1 in my mark II and in my mazda 3 axela, awesome sound. i used it with the factory head unit. bit still it was the best to my knowledge. had rodec speakers and an amp with the JBL, the pair worked awesome. but id prefer RF.

no need to worry about the sound in my new ride, Cristal clear sound and bass iv never experienced b4. hehe. Bose sound system with 6 speakers, 4 tweeters and a sub in the boot factory fitted. hehe...

Ripper nothing wrong with trying out a good branded active sub like the others reccomended. Make sure you get the correct spec of the enclosure needed for the MTX as you wont get quality without it. Your friend went in for an unbranded product as well not knowing the amp spec he's been given. :)

Ripper nothing wrong with trying out a good branded active sub like the others reccomended. Make sure you get the correct spec of the enclosure needed for the MTX as you wont get quality without it. Your friend went in for an unbranded product as well not knowing the amp spec he's been given. :)

Guys

well i was outbid on ebay for the mtx :violent-smiley-099: need to keep moolah for a good amp too no so had to suck it up back down on the bidding :P

But a Audiobahn 15, competition series sub came available so let's see how that goes..

The thing with active subs is that they don't really have a good reputation in delivering powerful bass... But this is what i read on the web so maybe i should head down to a stereo joint and check it out for myself :)

I already have decent bass with my rear speakers and most of my friends can't see the reason to go for a sub...so whatever the sub i get...its gotta be way way over what the speakers are doing now...

Pila

Now on to our common friends thingy... the man seems to be content with what he's getting :) And gotta admit his subs are leagues ahead of my 6x9's :P

But got an edge over him with my high and midrange plus the better head unit :P

And the amp thingy... i read so much how subs go bust with bad amp choice, bad wiring, not properly bridged etc especially on dual voice coil subs... Gotta read more to figure all these techy stuff out :)

The audiobahn's i'm trying my luck on have nice chrome basket with a flame design... though i hate to be ricey... they would look damn good if mounted inverse onto a box with the cone firing into the box and the basket sticking out

audiobahnmountedmi4.th.jpg

these are the audiobahn i'm trying my luck on inversely mounted... Good way shock the copper i think :P

The 15" MTX thunder 9500 i just lost can be seen here :sad-smiley-034:

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwo...thunder9500.cfm