• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Formula 1 -2008

miniace

how often is a champion decided at the last corner on the last lap of the last race of the season? first Le Mans and now this.. how can next year be better than this? Glock rolled the dice on the tires and it almost paid off, but rain came in during the last 3 laps. for the guys without live feed; he slowed down and moved to the left letting Hamilton thru.

Last year Hamilton lost by a point and this yeah he won by one.. how cool is that? I am sure Vettel will be once to watch next year.... now, what else is on TV? county cricket on espn? Any Sri Lankans playing?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that was ''THE'' most exciting race for me. orchestrated race that was. rain before the start and then again in the end. This was one race no one should have missed!! Massa was anyway the underdog today going in to the race for the championship title, but both drivers deserved to win it. Lewis being the the ever F1 champion. A britsh world champ is born after 12 years.

Yes, Timo glock will be getting a big cake today. ;) Shame about David coulthad, not even making it past turn 1.. He said that he wanted to pass the checkered flag and do a few doughnuts for the fans for his final race.

Come on guys go easy on Timo. There is no way a mid-field driver would give up a solid 4th place if he had a choice, and he genuinely couldn't keep the car on the road. However, Kubica may have had mischievous intentions when he passed Hamilton on the penultimate lap, even though he was a lap down - he and Lewis have had their run-ins this year and Kubica is a known ally of Fernando Alonso.

"I was on dry tyres at the end of the race when it was raining quite badly and it was just impossible on the last lap," he reported afterwards. "I was fighting as hard as I could but it was so difficult to just keep the car on the track and I lost positions right at the end of the lap." - Timo Glock

From Planet-f1.com...

The Race Result Is A Clue

05 L. Hamilton McLaren + 38.907

06 T. Glock Toyota + 44.368

Glock lost over five seconds to Hamilton in the corner-and-a-kink that were tarmaced between the point where hos Toyota was overtaken and the McLaren crossed the line to crown Hamilton champion. Five seconds. There was nothing fishy about his late demise; he was simply sliding around on dry tyres completely unsuited to the conditions.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3265_4445942,00.html

I'm a Ferrari fan alright, and Massa is a classy individual, but racing being racing, Hamilton probably deserved the title. I'm still in shock - it'll take a while for this whole thing to digest.

Ecstacy one moment, agony the next. We were on our feet jumping up and down at the time the chequered flag was waved....... The next moment I had to sink deep into the sofa as the Mclaren liveried fans erupted! :(:lol:

To think that it was a damn Toyota that decided the championship! :angry: Smash all Allions and Corollas? :action-smiley-060:

But what a tense finish. Unbelieveable. Anyway too much vino meant I woke up today only at 9.30am wodering if it was all a bad dream :alc::D The BBC put an end to all that though!

Massa handled the interviews great despite all the pressure and emotions being on his home track. Hats off to him. He's still champ for me as he had unforced retirements due to mechanical failure unlike Lewis. And won more races.

Thankfully the season is over. Or else I might smash my TV with the Brit biased commentry from that ass Steve Slater! Btw that guy Karun is a star!

So what would have happened if they had tied? Greater number of wins in the season? Who would have won the championship then?

Massa would have won the championship if they tied as he had the most consecutive wins.

man i missed a good one, due to a project deadline ! :(

cant wait get this downloaded and watch! just saw the morning news, 1 point freaking nail-biting indeed!

would have liked to see alonso win, but then it would have made the ending '1 point' less dramatic :D:(

dude where do you download this torrent from?

I nearly got a heart attack :lol: !!

That was a great F1 finale!! (thats the way F1 should be :D )

Whatever the explanations given,I guess Timo slowed down to give Hamilton the title.Doing the penultimate corner that slow on dry tyres is something hard to believe.

Im a hardcore Ferrari fan,sametime I love my pet Lewis and wanted him to be the champion.But I hate Ron Dennis (not Mclarens :D )

I prayed for Lewis' title win coz he deserves it.Not that Massa doesnt deserve to win,but the way FIA abused Hamilton pissed me off a lot.ah...Two good things happened, Alonsos both Worlds records are broken this year :P....

And what the FCUK Kubica did on the last lap???? :angry: Thought he tried to help Lewis,but he immidiately turned a villain.He deserves the loss of his third place on title.

About Karun, heard he gets an F1 drive next season.

MINIACE

Whatever the explanations given,I guess Timo slowed down to give Hamilton the title.Doing the penultimate corner that slow on dry tyres is something hard to believe.

I don't. You remember that race where McLaren screwed up the pit strategy and then Hamilton pushed like mad, and pretty much forced Massa off the track in the last few laps to take the lead? I don't think any driver in his proper senses would try to stay in his way in a charge. You get the feeling he will take out the other guy even if it means damaging his own car in the process. Bit hot headed. Timo musta thought he'll just get whatever points he can, specially considering his tyre situ. Just no point risking it battling with Lewis.

Besides, 700hp cars with no traction control and slick tyres on a wet surface must be quite a handful. :D

any hoo isn't it the same thing. let's not forget , where kimi had to let massa pass in one of the previous races . regardless being the same team, what ever circumstances...it boils down to the same thing... so no one can afford to talk..;) they both got a 1 position advantage..

I don't. You remember that race where McLaren screwed up the pit strategy and then Hamilton pushed like mad, and pretty much forced Massa off the track in the last few laps to take the lead? I don't think any driver in his proper senses would try to stay in his way in a charge. You get the feeling he will take out the other guy even if it means damaging his own car in the process. Bit hot headed. Timo musta thought he'll just get whatever points he can, specially considering his tyre situ. Just no point risking it battling with Lewis.

Besides, 700hp cars with no traction control and slick tyres on a wet surface must be quite a handful. :D

What is a bit strange is why Timo on dry tyres stayed on the wet side of the track to let Vettel and Lewis pass :rolleyes: !

Edited by GTAm

Im a hardcore Ferrari fan,sametime I love my pet Lewis and wanted him to be the champion.But I hate Ron Dennis (not Mclarens :D )

MINIACE

Yes I think Timo lost 5 seconds on that lap! And he moved to the WET side of the track. Anyway I think it's best to let it go considering all the Brit bickering about the FIA being pro-Ferrari etc etc.

As an aside, how do you piss off lots of fans? If you are Ron Dennis, on British TV you thank your English fans and those in England :P

Oops! Another Ron-erism.

someguys just have all the luck in the world

heard she's going to do a song as well about him

well if you are not jelous of him enough, Lewis is tipped to top brand Beckham in UK and some are even comparing him to the likes of Tiger Woods in terms of money making.

Faster, more transparent stewards’ decisions in ‘09

The FIA has announced an overhaul to the stewarding system at Formula One events for next season, including a new replay system designed to ensure faster decisions.

Race stewards fell under the media spotlight several times this season, most notably following Lewis Hamilton’s 25-second time penalty for cutting a chicane whilst battling Kimi Raikkonen at Spa.

The new measures should not only mean most decisions are made during rather than after the race, they should also make the whole process clearer to the public, with explanations and video evidence posted on the internet after the race.

In addition, there will be stricter requirements concerning the eligibility of stewards, with the FIA planning to invite a number of trainee stewards to races in order to build-up their experience.

Full FIA statement:

During the 2008 season a review took place of the stewarding arrangements in F1. The current panel of stewards consists of two international stewards and one national steward, all of whom must be eligible for the FIA’s super licence. For 2009, the following updates will be made:

- Any national steward participating who is officiating for the first time will be required to ‘observe’ a minimum of one Grand Prix prior to their event.

- At five Grands Prix in 2009, a number of trainee Stewards, nominated by their ASN and selected by the FIA, will be invited to attend.

- Before each Grand Prix, a short CV of each steward will be posted on the FIA website.

- With the benefit of a new replay system available to the stewards, all incidents will be investigated and appropriate action taken during the race, unless it is essential to seek further evidence afterwards.

- Following the race, a short written explanation of steward’s decisions will be published on the FIA website. This will supplement the formal steward’s decision which largely defines the breach of the rules.

- Where appropriate, additional film evidence that the public may not have seen but which was reviewed by the stewards, will be made available on both the FIA and FOM websites.

Note: No former driver is excluded from seeking their ASN national stewarding licence and then, as with all of the existing stewards, if they gain the necessary level of experience in stewarding events at a national, regional and international level the FIA can consider them for a steward’s super licence.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8653.html

Edited by Overdrive