• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maintanance Free Battery

dpbatagoda

Question

19 answers to this question

I have replaced my older 75A battery with new maintanace free battery. Some peple say that new maintanace free battery is not good. Any comments on this?

Also, I bought GT brand. Is that brand good?

I used a Global Maintenance free battery for 2 years without any issue and I suspect the battery was used by the previous owner for at least a year as well - so 3 years without skipping a beat sounds quite good to me :) mind you a fair portion of those 3-4 years was bearing the load of a large sound system as well!

If memory serves me right, most maintenance free batteries come with a 2 year warranty as well, so it offers greater peace of mind

Although I will confess to not having heard much of "GT" brand batteries :unsure:

If you don't mind telling us, how much did the battery cost you?

I have replaced my older 75A battery with new maintanace free battery. Some peple say that new maintanace free battery is not good. Any comments on this?

Also, I bought GT brand. Is that brand good?

well my car battery is an Exide standard battery but i've had the sealed batteries on my bike for a few years... It's a 250cc 4 stroker without a kicker so the starter eats quite a bit of juice when firing and i prefer the sealed type over the standards ones :) But i only buy leading brands like Yuasa or Exide... :)

When time comes for my present car battery i'd go for sealed one cos it's less hassle :)

And in my personal experience if the sealed batteries discharge completely due to lack of running/charging they cannot be brought back to life... Once i played with one of my discharged batteries...took it to a battery joint... got the bugger to open it up and check acid and add more if needed...charged her up but she couldn't hold charge and would die after a few hours... Some say the old model batteries can be rescued this way though i'm a bit skeptical :)

I bought 85A GT brand sealed Battery for 13K. Non sealed 90A Exide was 12K. They reduced 1K for used 75A battery. I bought this from Perera sons in Koswatta, Malambe (Left hand side tyre and battery shop after 2 Km from Koswatta junction towards Malambe) I cross checked the prices from different locations and all having same price range.

Since there was only GT brand available for sealed type, i bought that one. It's from same manufactor of GT radial tyre and distributor is Douglous & Songs, Colombo 10. They give only 1 year gurantee.

well my car battery is an Exide standard battery but i've had the sealed batteries on my bike for a few years... It's a 250cc 4 stroker without a kicker so the starter eats quite a bit of juice when firing and i prefer the sealed type over the standards ones :) But i only buy leading brands like Yuasa or Exide... :)

When time comes for my present car battery i'd go for sealed one cos it's less hassle :)

And in my personal experience if the sealed batteries discharge completely due to lack of running/charging they cannot be brought back to life... Once i played with one of my discharged batteries...took it to a battery joint... got the bugger to open it up and check acid and add more if needed...charged her up but she couldn't hold charge and would die after a few hours... Some say the old model batteries can be rescued this way though i'm a bit skeptical :)

Yeah machan. I got the same thing in my bike. Usually I like to use sealed type batteries in my bike because it will never spill acid and damage the bike. Anyway I tried it in my car also. So far workin without any hassle.

As this is the time to go for a new battery for my FB15, Can you guys suggest me the best brand maintenance free battery in the market and the price also a reliable place to buy.

As this is the time to go for a new battery for my FB15, Can you guys suggest me the best brand maintenance free battery in the market and the price also a reliable place to buy.

machan i had a few issues trying to find maintainance free batteries :( for starters those things are a little hard to find and the places you do find them tend to be at the small establsihments so one tends to worry about them honouring a warrenty and so on..

then there is the premium that you need to pay...

As for Brands available - i recall a place in Malay Street had AMARON

another join in Panchikawatte had GLOBAL - i had a global and it was very good i felt , but i've heard from some others that there was in issue with one shipment of Global batteries in the market sometime ago and as such ppl were worried to use them - but for all we know it could even be some rumour which had snow balled :(

Exide didn't have Maintainance fee when i checked

GS & 3K i believe to have maintianance free batteries, but was not able to find them :(

machan i had a few issues trying to find maintainance free batteries :( for starters those things are a little hard to find and the places you do find them tend to be at the small establsihments so one tends to worry about them honouring a warrenty and so on..

another join in Panchikawatte had GLOBAL - i had a global and it was very good i felt , but i've heard from some others that there was in issue with one shipment of Global batteries in the market sometime ago and as such ppl were worried to use them - but for all we know it could even be some rumour which had snow balled :(

GS & 3K i believe to have maintianance free batteries, but was not able to find them :(

Thanks machan. Let me check the places which you mentioned, if I can't find any good brands with warranty I will have to go back to a normal battery. Btw how much do you think a normal battery and the sealed one cost for FB15? I have no ideas about the prices as I have never bought a battery in SL.

Edited by Bharath

Thanks machan. Let me check the places which you mentioned, if I can't find any good brands with warranty I will have to go back to a normal battery. Btw how much do you think a normal battery and the sealed one cost for FB15? I have no ideas about the prices as I have never bought a battery in SL.

Rs 8500 for a NS70 (65 ah) after giving in my old battery (got 950/= off for that) - Exide from their Battery center on Havelock Rd - just passing Thimbirigasyaya junction

Rs 8500 for a NS70 (65 ah) after giving in my old battery (got 950/= off for that) - Exide from their Battery center on Havelock Rd - just passing Thimbirigasyaya junction

Thanks machan. Will have a look next week.

Friends please help me,

My car is having a main. free baterry came with the car (japaneese). I have used it for last 1 1/2 years with out any problem . Now after parking the car with parking lights it gives less power to strat the engine. (Starter motor drags bit) But the batery indicater is Green.

What do u all think please?

Friends please help me,

My car is having a main. free baterry came with the car (japaneese). I have used it for last 1 1/2 years with out any problem . Now after parking the car with parking lights it gives less power to strat the engine. (Starter motor drags bit) But the batery indicater is Green.

if it's a recon car...probably the battery was used in japan too... so the 1 1/2 years thing can't be taken too seriously... Probably the battery has weakened overtime and can't hold charge that well...

the battery indicator is a rough gauge of battery health and won't show exact health of the battery... not until it goes beyond a certain level for it to sense the impending failure...

If you have voltmeter/multimeter.... you can check the voltage of the battery when car is not running and compare it against the values on your manual...

for my corolla i think the battery should be 12.6-13 when car is not running...13-14 something when it's is running...

i'm not 100% of those figures but it was something in that range...

you can take the car to a battery joint and get the voltage thing tested...

this will give you an idea whether the problem is in the battery or in the charging system. If the battery fail to hold voltage with the charging system working well... you'll have to replace the battery.

good luck

if it's a recon car...probably the battery was used in japan too... so the 1 1/2 years thing can't be taken too seriously... Probably the battery has weakened overtime and can't hold charge that well...

the battery indicator is a rough gauge of battery health and won't show exact health of the battery... not until it goes beyond a certain level for it to sense the impending failure...

If you have voltmeter/multimeter.... you can check the voltage of the battery when car is not running and compare it against the values on your manual...

for my corolla i think the battery should be 12.6-13 when car is not running...13-14 something when it's is running...

i'm not 100% of those figures but it was something in that range...

you can take the car to a battery joint and get the voltage thing tested...

this will give you an idea whether the problem is in the battery or in the charging system. If the battery fail to hold voltage with the charging system working well... you'll have to replace the battery.

good luck

Thanks ripper.

GS & 3K i believe to have maintenance free batteries, but was not able to find them :(

i cam across a place in kadawatha area whr they had maintenance free batteries...im nt too sure abt da brand...time for me also to replace the battery...i'l let u knw da brand....hope da place is nt much away for u....

Friends please help me,

Consider about this one.

The battery indicator of maintains free battery is not 100% correct. Because, the indicator displays condition of the cell that the indicator has been fixed. If other cells may be bad but indicator will not displays the condition about the bad cells. That battery indicator can remove manually. So remove the indicator and put it to the other cells and check the condition of the other cells.

Consider about this one.

The battery indicator of maintains free battery is not 100% correct. Because, the indicator displays condition of the cell that the indicator has been fixed. If other cells may be bad but indicator will not displays the condition about the bad cells. That battery indicator can remove manually. So remove the indicator and put it to the other cells and check the condition of the other cells.

Thanks Nilantha,

My battery indicater is fixed on top of the bat, It can't be removed. Any way yesterday bat, technecian checked with the amp. meter and said that bat. is ok but last night same thing happened after parking with light on and could not start the engine. Today I am going to do a load test of the battery then I could have a better picture i suppose.