• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Who Is Using Highspeed Internet In Sri Lanka?

Hi guys

need advice on the best broadband option for SL.. I know SLT is offering ADSL. But I saw Dialog has also added broadband. Has anyone used either of these and how would you rate the service? How often does it go down?

Thanks

Edited by Lalithster

Dialog is wireless broadband and using WIMAX technology. You don't need a landline or any phone line at all. They charge Rs 3500 for 1MB download speed.

SLT is normal wired broadband over your existing land line and charges Rs 2500 for 512KB. They also have another package which is restricted upto 1GB data and charges Rs 1000.

I guess Dialog is Speeder but haven't found any dialog users yet. If Dialog is really worth for money I will switch to Dialog.

http://www.dialog.lk/en/broadband/products/speed1.html

seems they have a fair usage policy...4Gb for the 1Meg speed...

http://www.dialog.lk/en/broadband/images/o...sage_policy.jpg

http://www.sltnet.lk/tariff.html

no limits on the normal slt packages except the Rs1000/= one...

hi,

if you planning to run edonkey, torent or any p2p applications you should use ADSL. dialog wimax has restriction, that if you are high p2p user, they will limit your bandwidth internally. i think that might effect to other applications as well thereafter. It is in their agreement under fair usage policy

hi,

if you planning to run edonkey, torent or any p2p applications you should use ADSL. dialog wimax has restriction, that if you are high p2p user, they will limit your bandwidth internally. i think that might effect to other applications as well thereafter. It is in their agreement under fair usage policy

esita

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: Iam a wimax 1mb user since last 7months now, mind you i was between the fist 10people to get a broadband connection from Dialog. Sofar since then I have been using many P2P's simultaneously. Namely Emule,Utorrent & Bittorrent. And sofar no limitation has happend on me. I get a total throttled download in emule of 120kbps. Which is in Sri Lankan terms superb speed! But there terms and conditions say something more and them been harsh on heavy downloaders! Do not hesitate to get it for home. I can recommend this as the best available in the market now. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Dialog is good comparing to SLT but dialog link not stable down time is very high SLT ADSL is better and affordable for use.

I am using a SLT ADSL connection to comunicate with my home. SLT seems to be Okay with me video and audio. One of my friend mentione to me DIALO* has a coverage probs and if you are living in remorte area you might not get the proper coverage. Also Dial** has sharing link.

esita

:angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: Iam a wimax 1mb user since last 7months now, mind you i was between the fist 10people to get a broadband connection from Dialog. Sofar since then I have been using many P2P's simultaneously. Namely Emule,Utorrent & Bittorrent. And sofar no limitation has happend on me. I get a total throttled download in emule of 120kbps. Which is in Sri Lankan terms superb speed! But there terms and conditions say something more and them been harsh on heavy downloaders! Do not hesitate to get it for home. I can recommend this as the best available in the market now. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048:

Do you have any down time with the weather gets bad? Anyother problems you have had with Dialog?

Do you have any down time with the weather gets bad? Anyother problems you have had with Dialog?

Since its going on medium wave which is close to the elevation of our house roof's height, often interference occurs when there is heavy thunder showers but on the other hand which type of a dumb fool would want to use hiscomputer and internet link in a situation like this, unless he has a guarantee from GOD that he will never be struck, other than this type of situation Dialog is at full throttle. ADSL well it sucks..Why? Because I live in Kelaniya..where I wanted to get ADSL.

SLT guys said that I am beyond the capacity zone and that I could not get the service. You see you need to be 5km within range of the nearest SLT exchange they said, which in my case Iam not. Well one of my friends is next to the SLT exchange kelaniya and he has a ADSL home package. Well once I went there and used it..Gosh!!!its a curse to use such a slow link. you get about 190kbps. :angry-smiley-048: :angry-smiley-048: Compared to the link I have now I get 768kbps most of time out of a 1MB shared..Hope you understand the difference. And yet price is not the only consideration ..Quality is what matters.

BELOW IS MY COMPARISON(PRIVATE THOUGHTS ARE INVITED)Also correct me where my comments are wrong.giving you the best details I know.

Dialog Wimax Home

Registration fee:Rs:5000

Monthly :Rs3500

Type:Wireless

Modem:supplied by vendor:Free

Installation fee:Free

Radius:5km

Quality:fluctuation at time of heavy rain(customer support, even if they cannot repair it tells you that they are attending to it with a generous call back by support executive)

Connection good for:people who want to make things happen

ADSL Home

Registration fee:Rs:2000

Monthly :Rs2500

Type:wired

Modem:Should be bought by customer(dammm!!!)

Installation fee:Rs:2000(damm it....again!!!)

Radius:5km along the tarmac road(damm it !!!!this is so unfair)

Quality:No fluctuation(but once it breaks your dead.you cannot contact customer support help desk until the next day morning..sucks!!)

Connection good for:People who want to wait till things happen

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Dude, you have a damn big mouth and an attitude problem. This is not the first time, I remember you trying this on the "passing judgment" thing on the Drags thread too. Do try to avoid it in the future.

Just because its not the right package for you doesn't mean its no good and its for "People who want to wait till things happen". I've been using SLT for years, and the only time my service was down was when that ship dragged up the cable in the harbor, so this lack of response from support doesn't really seem like an issue.

Also, FYI, I didn't have an installation fee. Its a DIY job. So even without counting the first month fee and buying a modem, initial startup cost is less.

As for the speed, I've been on the net since dial up days with a 14.4 modem. I'm not streaming videos all day. This is good enough for my purposes. Sure, sometimes when the torrents max out the connection a bit more bandwidth is desirable, but then, you can get that if ur willing to pay for it.

Dude, you have a damn big mouth and an attitude problem. This is not the first time, I remember you trying this on the "passing judgment" thing on the Drags thread too. Do try to avoid it in the future.

Just because its not the right package for you doesn't mean its no good and its for "People who want to wait till things happen". I've been using SLT for years, and the only time my service was down was when that ship dragged up the cable in the harbor, so this lack of response from support doesn't really seem like an issue.

Also, FYI, I didn't have an installation fee. Its a DIY job. So even without counting the first month fee and buying a modem, initial startup cost is less.

As for the speed, I've been on the net since dial up days with a 14.4 modem. I'm not streaming videos all day. This is good enough for my purposes. Sure, sometimes when the torrents max out the connection a bit more bandwidth is desirable, but then, you can get that if ur willing to pay for it.

How much is the modem?

So what was the total cost for setting up ADSL?

Right now my connection is 10mbs so I doubt I will be able to tell between 512kbs vs 1mbs?

Priya you dont work for Dialog do you? LOL just kidding your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for your help

My opinion is SLT is cheaper and offers value for the Rs.2500 you pay. I believe Dialog at twice the price is more aimed at corporate customers.

And to the expatriates, don't expect things to be the same in SL as in your adopted country. If that is your expectation, my advice is that you stay there for good!

Edited by madmax

and to add to that, as of late SLT has been giving modems away for free with new connections...

And to the expatriates, don't expect things to be the same in SL as in your adopted country. If that is your expectation, my advice is that you stay there for good!

don't waste your breath :)

My opinion is SLT is cheaper and offers value for the Rs.2500 you pay. I believe Dialog at twice the price is more aimed at corporate customers.

So your saying dont expect great things from your birth country? thats a bad attitude to have.

Edited by Lalithster

BELOW IS MY COMPARISON(PRIVATE THOUGHTS ARE INVITED)Also correct me where my comments are wrong.giving you the best details I know.

Dialog Wimax Home

Registration fee:Rs:5000

Monthly :Rs3500

Type:Wireless

Modem:supplied by vendor:Free

Installation fee:Free

Radius:5km

Quality:fluctuation at time of heavy rain(customer support, even if they cannot repair it tells you that they are attending to it with a generous call back by support executive)

Connection good for:people who want to make things happen

ADSL Home

Registration fee:Rs:2000

Monthly :Rs2500

Type:wired

Modem:Should be bought by customer(dammm!!!)

Installation fee:Rs:2000(damm it....again!!!)

Radius:5km along the tarmac road(damm it !!!!this is so unfair)

Quality:No fluctuation(but once it breaks your dead.you cannot contact customer support help desk until the next day morning..sucks!!)

Cheers! :rolleyes:

as praveen said, u got an attitude prob....guess u r frustrated that u r not within SLT's range. :violent-smiley-099:

FYI, Dialog too has its limitations in certain places ive been told.

commentin on ur comparison,

* Maybe Dialog charges for the modem together with the connection fee. ADSL modem can be bought even for as low as 3,500/= and the installation is a simple thing. Its an optional charge for people who don't know to do the simplest of things.

*Quality - Ive had problems a couple of times and SLT's customer care was very promt. They cleared my issues within half an hour, both after 9pm. so no worries on that as u say. (u talk as if u have tried this)

*Connection - Is very good. This is very good for me. i get 512kbps (actual) most of the time. I'm able to stream videos frm yahoo easily. No need to WAIT till things happen.

*For the package u have mentioned frm Dialog, there is a monthly threshold. 4GB for 3.5k compared to unlimited for 2.25k. Only difference is the speed, even thats not too much. If you want a faster connection go for an Office express package for 7.5k i think where ull get 2Mbps

I've been thoroughly satisfied with what ive been using, and i request you to think and analyse b4 just typing in anything you want.

cheers

what he meant was don't expect to find broadband speeds here that match where you come from since you tend to compare the two countries often... and the difference between 512kbps and 1Mbps should be pretty obvious even if you haven't used either...

but seriously why would you abandon your 10Mbps speeds for 512kbps or 1Mbps? :rolleyes:

Our connection at home is a is the SLT hope package, which i think is a REALLY good deal over the longrun. Proportionately the Dialog one maybe worth it but the 4GB limit is a big turn off in my opinion.. download 5 movies a month and you're it... tsk tsk tsk.... And I was reading reading that letter/notice dialig issued regarding it, and man have they worded it cunningly. "To protect the majority" they say... but i'm sure most of us who DO go for a broadband connection fully intend to download large files, and quite frequently too....

though a comparison between the US and Sri Lanka would be wrong in a number of ways in both technical and geographical aspects as well as economical.

If connection speed is such a big issue, ike sharkster says its always better to stick to the 10mbps connection than to downgrade oneself to a 1mbps or 512kbps...

very well said Max

So your saying dont expect great things from your birth country? thats a bad attitude to have.

This is what you call the 'fake' patriotism. Don’t worry mate it’s not a rare decease there seems to be a lot of you these days. The same breed that keeps chinthanaya in power.

Guys..If I see something which is not good. I criticise it..guys this is a free country alright...I enjoy my freedom. Didnt mean to offend anyone.as peri said I have an attitude probs but try to understand Thats me..I am a free man. For me ...frpom the connections I ve used at my frineds place it sucks...listen I told you guys the down falls of Dialog didnt I????? So whoat the heck you telling me I have a big mouth. You dont really need a big mouth to know whots the best. i use wanted people to know wjots going on....Infact my father is from SLT tooo.

We all know whot SLT is...we all know ahot SLT's service level is???I had a certain experience with SLT where they took 3 days to fix and adsl link..thats why I mentioned it. Doesnt mean I have a big mouth or an attitude..just wanted to be sarcastic...whota wrong with that...if you are too offended please cancel my posting so that you could enjoy others prasing your adsl....you are sooo childish...if you look at my post you will understand that I have mentioned it reliable..and now thats why I said to give in your comments...but not to hear from you about personal comments like big mouth and attitude..How the hell do you think you are to questions my attitude.you........@#$@##^#$#^#$#%$#$$%#%$#$%#$%$#%$#come on man,,be an example for moderators...not an 78t78t88ty7y78y7y8y78yGROW up pericles!!!!!!

Dude Priya - For many years Autolanka has been a very closely knit group of individuals, who share a common interest and also respect each others individual opinions. True, that everyone is free to express their own opinion, but it's one's responsibility to do it in such a way that it does not offend others. Else this forum becomes a battle field rather than a car community.

We've had some misfits in the past on this forum, who created havoc that led to disrespect of those individuals within Autolanka. Most of them at the end decided to abandon the forums.

I see that you are new to the forum, so the last thing the veteran members want to see is a newbie breaking peace on the forum. So just chill and hangout because there's a lot the forums have to offer.

PS: Did you say you were at TCK?

Edited by madmax

Guys..If I see something which is not good. I criticise it..guys this is a free country alright...I enjoy my freedom. Didnt mean to offend anyone.as peri said I have an attitude probs but try to understand Thats me..I am a free man. For me ...frpom the connections I ve used at my frineds place it sucks...listen I told you guys the down falls of Dialog didnt I????? So whoat the heck you telling me I have a big mouth. You dont really need a big mouth to know whots the best. i use wanted people to know wjots going on....Infact my father is from SLT tooo.

We all know whot SLT is...we all know ahot SLT's service level is???I had a certain experience with SLT where they took 3 days to fix and adsl link..thats why I mentioned it. Doesnt mean I have a big mouth or an attitude..just wanted to be sarcastic...whota wrong with that...if you are too offended please cancel my posting so that you could enjoy others prasing your adsl....you are sooo childish...if you look at my post you will understand that I have mentioned it reliable..and now thats why I said to give in your comments...but not to hear from you about personal comments like big mouth and attitude..How the hell do you think you are to questions my attitude.you........@#$@##^#$#^#$#%$#$$%#%$#$%#$%$#%$#come on man,,be an example for moderators...not an 78t78t88ty7y78y7y8y78yGROW up pericles!!!!!!

I specifically quoted the bit I was referring to. Try reading again. And I have specifically mentioned the points I find offensive. It isn't any of the things you list in your questions. Its cause you shoot off your mouth insulting people. You want to insult all the adsl users on the forms, but cry like a baby when I say you have a big mouth? :rolleyes: You asked for private thoughts, I gave it. Don't whine if it aint what you wanna hear.

Besides, keep this in mind. SLT has been around a long time. We got it when it first came out, and there is no use paying dialog for a new connection over the existing one. Just coz a net newbie comes along and picks the newer service, doesn't mean it makes us long time users "People who want to wait till things happen"

And also, like I mentioned, its not the first time.

As for cancel the posting, like you said, you have freedom of speech (within limits) you can have your say. But don't be surprised when you get rebuttals.

Next time, try to think from both sides, huh?