• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Marathons & Cycle Race On Public Roads

Velocity

yo ripper wheres the fun man rules are ment to broken thats why it's there ....

Wrong. Rules are meant to be observed so everyone can co-exist and carry on with life. You think rules are meant to be broken? Try it on this forum and see what happens. :angry-smiley-024:

We break rules when we think no one will get hurt. If there is a rules are meant to be broken syndrome, it would mean trying to drive down the wrong side of the road during rush hour. Thats when someone can get hurt, so then you follow the rules.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do understand and give way to these races etc but these so called "race organizers" also should be considerate to other people who use these roads too.

Anyway, barring all other considerations, remember that there is a special road development tax component paid by anyone who buys a motor vehicle. EVEN those under permits. If the people with vehicles are the ones getting taxed to build the damn roads in the first place, its not unreasonable to ask for priority on road usage for motor vehicles anyway.

ok guys no need to make a big sean .. out of this i was just telling my openion i kw it's not good to do such things and if u take like that drag racing in public roads should be banned too, noice polution (exzos systems which wil blow off the the person standing next to it, placing high quality boom boxes which r like portable disco's,usage of flood lights in normal roads,using horns which can chase away elephants :angry-smiley-048:

Drags - against the law

Noise pollution from loud exhausts - against the law

usage of flood lights on normal roads - against the law

Its already all banned, so I don't see why ur stating it like its the discovery of the century.

QUALITY boom boxes, its no issue cos its not something that won't bother others unless u behave like and ass by putting the shutters down and suppling music to everyone in the 1km radius. If you want a quality system to listen to in the privacy of your own car, see absolutely no problem with it.

the fact is people who hv power and money they abuse it and in srilankan law it clearly says the man who has power and money is the law maker thats how the country is made up <_< what to do gusy at the end of the day we wil be just following the system ... as every one else cos we can't run away from the system .....

Where did you come up with that FACT? My sis is a lawyer, I'll check with her in the morning and see if it "clearly" says in SL Law that the people with money have the right to make the laws. Don't blame people with money. The excesses happen when uneducated people get money and power than they have no idea how to handle. Thats when they break in to TV stations and slap around news directors and start causing problems in night clubs. Educated people with money and power don't abuse it (generally, unless they are unscrupulous buggers). Don't come up saying FACTS for stuff that are your POINT OF VIEW and ASSUMPTIONS.

QUALITY boom boxes, its no issue cos its not something that won't bother others unless u behave like and ass by putting the shutters down and suppling music to everyone in the 1km radius. If you want a quality system to listen to in the privacy of your own car, see absolutely no problem with it.

:violent-smiley-030: Bang! Dead on accurate! Reminds me of the 3 wheelers again!!! the same culprits that escourt the bicycle ayya's. No1 source for sound pollution again and you as usual a P*** In the A**! causing hindrance to day to day car drivers and others. :violent-smiley-030:

World of advice my friend, you sound like a bit of a free spirit but do think twice before you say something because you are in the verge of becoming the butt of all the jokes in this community.

becoming??? :action-smiley-060:

Back to the topic in hand, us fortunate people do lot of crazy things in the name of having a good time. But for some of the less fortunate people supporting their colleague/friend/relative in a race help them to forget about their hardships atleast temporally. So it’s unfair to ban this type of characters as it is part of Sri Lankan generosity but ofcourse they should use some common sense not to hog the road and to treat the fellow man with bit of decency.

If fortunate people do things that abuses the freedom of the rest it's wrong...same goes the other way too. Just because one is fortunate or unfortunate shouldn't be the reason to take it out on other people.... what's wrong is wrong man... simple as that

We're not suggesting to ban these sporting events... by all means community activities like this should increase. SL doesn't have enough of these things so that the common man can also have a good time. But that shouldn't allow these retards who are the support crew of such events to completely run riot. I don't know if you have personally experienced these things or not but if you have i'm sure you know how these jokers behave. To say the least it's not very polite to get scolded in filth with your wife and kids in the car... and that's just a part of their actions if you fail to spot these fellows and get out of the way asap as they demand...

Why can't our support crews also act like they do in other countries...if you've watched any foreign bicycle races etc they also have support crews but they do it on a very orderly fashion so it minimizes the hassle on others...

Only last weekend this same thing happened to me on a rather narrow road on my way to my parents. these loonies were on a canter truck coming at idiotic speeds and forcing me to get out of the road... the bloody road was too narrow to make an exit and i had to go up until i found another byroad to turn into and give way to the truck and racers... even after doing that what do you get? some colorful language... I'd say only a complete retard wouldn't want to have these sorta behavior banned

GihanFX

yeah man...i also only speed once in a while here and there...not that you can speed on our roads anyways :angry-smiley-048:

I never ever run red lights... i thin it's completely stupid to a run a light putting others who are approaching you from other directions...

Peri

My grandfather also once said "Never fight with a pig. You'll get dirty and the pig likes the mud."

and my granny once said "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

so i'm gonna take that advice and wash my hands off this thread :lol:

but it was indeed quite funny...stupidly funny :angry-smiley-048:

Edited by Ripper

Peri

My grandfather also once said "Never fight with a pig. You'll get dirty and the pig likes the mud."

and my granny once said "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Ur gramps is quoting G.B. Shaw. I had it as my sig line some time back. :) Theres a magnet with that quote on it stuck on my pc right now too.

GihanFX

yeah man...i also only speed once in a while here and there...not that you can speed on our roads anyways :angry-smiley-048:

I never ever run red lights... i thin it's completely stupid to a run a light putting others who are approaching you from other directions...

Yeah its not the speeding ticket, its the Danger, if u know the Road very well its ok to speed once in a while, atlest one day per week, late night i do a High speed drive at Attidia around 200 to 220 max,

Rippster I’m not encouraging these sorts of moronic acts in any shape or form. All I’m saying is some people like to play an active role in supporting the participants. We should allow that but in an acceptable level. These over enthusiastic supporters should understand that it’s a privilege to ride along, not a must and ensure not to abuse that privilege.

I do admit I haven’t come across such a race for some time now but how I see it is taking away this sort of characters (I’m referring to the people who ride along and provide support to the participants not the tugs who use such events as an opportunity to suppress others) from local events will be like omitting papara bands from cricket matches.

GihanFX

dude 200+ is way off ma league...i'm happy with a pansy 120~140kmh :lol:

Rippster I’m not encouraging these sorts of moronic acts in any shape or form. All I’m saying is some people like to play an active role in supporting the participants. We should allow that but in an acceptable level. These over enthusiastic supporters should understand that it’s a privilege to ride along, not a must and ensure not to abuse that privilege.

I do admit I haven’t come across such a race for some time now but how I see it is taking away this sort of characters (I’m referring to the people who ride along and provide support to the participants not the tugs who use such events as an opportunity to suppress others) from local events will be like omitting papara bands from cricket matches.

buddy omitting papare bands from local sporting events is in no way similar to what goes on with these races... i don' wan to go into details how this logic is wrong but i'm sure with a bit of thought you can figure that one out yourself... If not i'll be more than happy to point you the flaws in that very weak lame argument.

I'm all for these sports events and like i've said i think these sorta things should be done more frequently with better gamut to cover many other sports as well. What i'm completely against is the way these things are executed. Some folks use this as an opportunity be "superior" beings to others by putting them down etc.

As i've said before supporting your comrade on a sports event can be done in a way that minimizes the hassle on others... And what you might not know is that the way these guys behave is like complete mafia scene... Maybe you should think a bit more before commenting on stuff you might not know the full story about

and that's why when you say "These over enthusiastic supporters should understand that it’s a privilege to ride along, not a must and ensure not to abuse that privilege. " is completely off the mark. this is not reality mate... If this was reality there won't be a need for this thread...

cheers

ripper

ripper, I think you slightly misunderstood me but both of us (as I understand) are in the same page. I think we all agree including my self that organizing this type of events should be encouraged and the behavior of some of the supporters are unacceptable. My point is lets not get rid of these supporters entirely lets have some of them may be not 5-6 individuals per participant but an acceptable limited figure and organizers should take strict measures to conduct these events in a civilized manner. This is evidently seems to be the biggest challenge.

Edited by xXx

ripper, I think you slightly misunderstood me but both of us (as I understand) are in the same page. I think we all agree including my self that organizing this type of events should be encouraged and the behavior of some of the supporters are unacceptable. My point is lets not get rid of these supporters entirely lets have some of them may be not 5-6 individuals per participant but an acceptable limited figure and organizers should take strict measures to conduct these events in a civilized manner. This is evidently seems to be the biggest challenge.

apologies but when i read your post comparing these supporter fellas to papare bands at sporting events i thought you were on something illegal and quite potent :)

Above posts say otherwise so accept my apologies....

But the sad fact is that what you have written here is way way off the ground situ is SL :) These so called "supporters" are the ones who are behaving like thugs and not the usual pro-thugs that would expect from our political leaders etc... And that's why i firmly believe there should be strict rules for these guys...

yeah need to think abt breaks too

he he...if i'm over 120 i wont worry about brakes bro... probably when something goes wrong and me wanting to hit the brakes...i'd be in front of the pearly gates and st. peter will be breaking the bad news saying i'm not on the list :lol:

he he...if i'm over 120 i wont worry about brakes bro... probably when something goes wrong and me wanting to hit the brakes...i'd be in front of the pearly gates and st. peter will be breaking the bad news saying i'm not on the list :lol:

LOL, yeah once ( Day Before AL G2G2 ) when i was Drving, actually Having a Friendly High Speed Drive with another Subaru, when i want to Shift down from 4th to 3rd i noticed the Cluch pedle was not there lol, then had to Brake and stop the car without Shift Down from 140+Km, Fortunatly the car didnt went out fo controll and managed to stop it with lods of Tire squeals, and the people around got scared a lot, U can never trust the vehicle, even its a sports car or Not, still its a Mechine, Need to have bit of luck too :)

Edited by GihanFX

hey ripster yo drive very carefully in those speeds man ... i hv lots of frnds who has fallan pray to the bike .... :mellow: cos not because they were not good in their rides but some stupid bastard did some fulish thing with his ride (bus / car / jeep ) cos i hv seen in many cases they don't give u and space to drive in the road they just do what they want cos they are bigger ....

hey ripster yo drive very carefully in those speeds man ... i hv lots of frnds who has fallan pray to the bike .... :mellow: cos not because they were not good in their rides but some stupid bastard did some fulish thing with his ride (bus / car / jeep ) cos i hv seen in many cases they don't give u and space to drive in the road they just do what they want cos they are bigger ....

thanks but those are the car speeds i DRIVE not my RIDING speeds on my bikes...

120 or so is nothing on a bike...160+ then that's something to talk about :angry-smiley-048:

thanks but those are the car speeds i DRIVE not my RIDING speeds on my bikes...

120 or so is nothing on a bike...160+ then that's something to talk about :angry-smiley-048:

120 is nothing on a car either. Well, on mine. Unless you have a blowout, or a brake problem, or a dog/cat/buffalo/kid/bike/three wheeler/bus/minister decides to get on the road. Or you encounter a sharp bend. Or, of course, some cop jumps out waving a speed-gun.

something which i heard from a Freind.

At the Nestomalt Marathon which was Held from Katunayake to Mahabage, and just 100 meters before the finish line a three wheel had knocked on the Marathon Runner they were supporting and he has fallen on to the road knee first and his knees were cracked and was gushing so much blood as it was around 11.45 am.

Luckily he had the guts to dash to the finish line even with the wounds.

120 is nothing on a car either. Well, on mine. Unless you have a blowout, or a brake problem, or a dog/cat/buffalo/kid/bike/three wheeler/bus/minister decides to get on the road. Or you encounter a sharp bend. Or, of course, some cop jumps out waving a speed-gun.

well i was more on the lines of...

most bikes can hit over 120 in a matter of few seconds.... If i try to hit similar speeds in MY car i mostly end up running out of road :) Unless of course it's outstation roads with clear visibility for long long stretches

well i was more on the lines of...

most bikes can hit over 120 in a matter of few seconds.... If i try to hit similar speeds in MY car i mostly end up running out of road :) Unless of course it's outstation roads with clear visibility for long long stretches

yeah recentry had a quter mile fun race with a 250 Fireblade or sumthng like that, its damn fast, when i finish the bike was near my front mirror.

yeah recentry had a quter mile fun race with a 250 Fireblade or sumthng like that, its damn fast, when i finish the bike was near my front mirror.

well if you try it with a 2 stroker like an Aprilia RS250 or a Honda NSR250... chances are they will easily smoke you :)

I've hit 180 on an NSR 250...89 model old one...on baseline road coming from orugodwaththa side...

from a stop start at the lights... i hit 180 little after passing the top of the flyover... it was so bloody fast and the acceleration is unbeleivable...

now try that with a 500cc bike or like R1 or a Busa :angry-smiley-048: game over!