• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Do The Cops Hate Modified Cars???

Marlons

I have no clue as to why but everyday when i pass the Kolpity junction there are cops stopping me and saying all sorts of staff about the car and they even fined me. Today a little while back I was stopped and ask to paste my front # # is the middle as they cant see it. I have been running with the # on the side for over 8 months and never seemed to have a problem. Also since I have a exhaust they wanted me to remove it and come and show it at the kolpity police station. I asked them why? They said because I’m polluting the sound. I was extremely mad. I told them how about the buses that have loud noises that comes from its exhaust. They said that they come originally and mine is modified.

Even though it’s original or fixed it does not make a difference right??

While this the cop was fining me another modified car went and you wont believe since they didn’t see it until it passed they just scribbled some shit on the paper took my license started their bike and chased the modified car that passed the.

I have no clue as to why they fellows are so ticked out when they see a modified car on the road.

I just wanted to know if there are any other people who go through the same shitt!!!

Mind you this happens to me all the time when I pass kolpity. (In the nights after around 10:30 pm)

I will be writing an article to the papers on this to see what kind of response it’ll show.

Yes there are certain modified car drivers who are reckless. Just because of them everyone should not be penalized for it!!!![/font]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, happens to us all. Two ways to deal with the exhaust thing.

Say its the original factory exhaust. Actually, mine is, so I can say it.

Ask what the decibel limit is. Ask them to get a decibel meter and prove its over the limit. (If it IS over and modded tho, ur out of luck)

PS, those buses have the silencer removed and run straight thru too. Or holed. Either way, not original.

I managed to argue that mine is an original silencer (which it is) and they let me go.

Key thing tho, is to stay polite and explain without getting mad.

Wasn't you car on sale on FB?

Ask what the decibel limit is. Ask them to get a decibel meter and prove its over the limit. (If it IS over and modded tho, ur out of luck)

PS, those buses have the silencer removed and run straight thru too. Or holed. Either way, not original.

I managed to argue that mine is an original silencer (which it is) and they let me go.

Wasn't you car on sale on FB?

Well i tried as much as i can to explain about the exhaust, but they dont seem to understand. (ithink its a cop thing)

What do you think about the # plate deal. It's on the left hand side of the car and it's visible. They say the # plate should come in the middle.

Well i tried as much as i can to explain about the exhaust, but they dont seem to understand. (ithink its a cop thing)

What do you think about the # plate deal. It's on the left hand side of the car and it's visible. They say the # plate should come in the middle.

No idea. I have seen cars even with numbers painted on the bonnet, but no idea on the legality of it.

Dillon, any idea? You had it painted on the 7 right?

No idea. I have seen cars even with numbers painted on the bonnet, but no idea on the legality of it.

We need to do something about this coz it's just sucks!!!!!

THIS IS ONE THING WHICH KEEP ME OUT OF COLOMBO B4 10PM N THE OTHER THING IS THE BOOST BALOONS HA HA..IF U R PASING MARADANA JUNK OR GAMINI HALL ROUNDABOUT SHIT HAPPENS EVERYDAY MATE...THIS SUKS..

i heard this too (was it on AL?) that the buss drivers/owners punch the exhaust to give a louder noise so that the peole in the bus get the mental satisfaction that the bus is going fast, when in reality it probably just revving up on 1st or 2nd....

I agree on the exhaust with Peri, do with the "its original" story.... haven't driven a vehicle with a loud exhaust, but curious, are these loud on low revs as well, or just the high end.. i always had the perception that civic boys with modified exhausts just rev up unnecessarily to get some attention to their cars.. maybe i'm wrong, but just a perception i have...

As for the number plate, i don't think thats valid.. some cars like the Evos (7+) come with the plate on the side by factory spec.. i remember mivec's red Evo7 had it on the side... not to mention all the SUVs that have a winch in the middle have them on the left.. so some Defenders (without winches)... So i dont think thats a valid argument.. and if you think about it you should be able to come up with some more vehicles with plates on the side...

I'm guessing the cop was expecting a little pocket money and presumed that all modified car owners have deep pockets..

yeah i too remember Dilon's was a painted plate.. but this was before the new standardized english plates came along.. I'd imagine some sort of clause saying you HAVE to have the original plate, and cant have the number painted on... else beats the whole purpose of RMV issued plates...

The way I see it, cops LIKE modified cars 'cos it's easier to give out a ticket ... am I wrong? lol

As for the license plate issue, over here, the law is that it should be affixed to the front-most portion of the car in clear view. Cops don't care if it's on the left or right as long as it's somewhere in front clearly visible. Some of us have them underneath on the airdam and some of us (like me) have gotten away with just positioning it inside the car against the windshield on the pass. side. Some cops don't give a shyt, but if they get your doing other stupid shyt, they'll fine you for that too ... either that or it's the end of the month and they start giving away tickets for practically anything just to fill their quota.

i heard this too (was it on AL?) that the buss drivers/owners punch the exhaust to give a louder noise so that the peole in the bus get the mental satisfaction that the bus is going fast, when in reality it probably just revving up on 1st or 2nd....

I agree on the exhaust with Peri, do with the "its original" story.... haven't driven a vehicle with a loud exhaust, but curious, are these loud on low revs as well, or just the high end.. i always had the perception that civic boys with modified exhausts just rev up unnecessarily to get some attention to their cars.. maybe i'm wrong, but just a perception i have...

As for the number plate, i don't think thats valid.. some cars like the Evos (7+) come with the plate on the side by factory spec.. i remember mivec's red Evo7 had it on the side... not to mention all the SUVs that have a winch in the middle have them on the left.. so some Defenders (without winches)... So i dont think thats a valid argument.. and if you think about it you should be able to come up with some more vehicles with plates on the side...

I'm guessing the cop was expecting a little pocket money and presumed that all modified car owners have deep pockets..

most alfas also have their plates on the side and not at the center. I've never heard of rule saying it has to be at the center...just that's it's gotta be visible and in approved color combos

Once I was stopped near Aasiri Hospital (Narahenpita) on a Sunday around 7pm. Cops checked my DL and other docs. Everything was in order. And one cop was walking around the car and said my exhaust is too big and I can’t have an exhaust barrel other than original. At that point I knew what he’s upto and really got pissed off. I asked him to bend down and check the make if he wants (in my mother tongue and not very soft as well). He was looking at me like he has seen a ghost. Actually it’s an original Nismo exhaust and says Nissan on the side in big bold letters. Sometimes you have to be firm with these cheeky buggers (when you haven’t done anything wrong)

hey guys u showd up some good ideas abt this ya i like this alot too i do it many times or NEVER STOP AT THE FIRST PLACE IF U HV ROOM TO RUN AWAY RUN AWAY but hten they wil shoot at u tooo if ur not that good hider frm the cops :violent-smiley-030: Key thing tho, is to stay polite and explain without getting mad, and as racers edge siad stay away frm colombo with ur modified car til late night .... :unsure: but then thats not practical if u hv one car ...to go every where ... :blink: [/b]

but most of them they want a easy buck out of us ... thinking we hv deeper pockets or they just want to fine us and cover up their limit ...for the quota ....

but at the end always we get the fall ..... <_<

These front number plate buggers are irrelevant if they catch you at night anyway. You can't see number plate on car thats coming towards you with the lights on. Then you ask them, if thats what they stopped you for, how did they see it thru the glare of the headlights.

NEVER STOP AT THE FIRST PLACE IF U HV ROOM TO RUN AWAY RUN AWAY but hten they wil shoot at u tooo if ur not that good hider frm the cops :violent-smiley-030:<_<

Not a good thing to do. They CAN trace you from the number plate.

These front number plate buggers are irrelevant if they catch you at night anyway. You can't see number plate on car thats coming towards you with the lights on. Then you ask them, if thats what they stopped you for, how did they see it thru the glare of the headlights.

Not a good thing to do. They CAN trace you from the number plate.

Guys please note that only son's of MP's and political leaders are exempted from this! So as peri said this is a bad idea for general people like us. I have seen the same number plate twice on the two different cars! :rolleyes:

Guys please note that only son's of MP's and political leaders are exempted from this! So as peri said this is a bad idea for general people like us. I have seen the same number plate twice on the two different cars! :rolleyes:

You wouldn't happen to use the moniker "deegpower" would you?

hey peri as u say if u start to talk smart with this buggers they start to screw u up they wil really do something bad for u find some kind of shit or worse case they wil take ur car to the station telling for inspection for illigal modifications and screw u nicely as they did in kandy for us cos one of our guys had a big mouth and was agrueing with the cops ...stupid kandy city traffic ...this thugs who hv law on their side .... pilice FU** the police .... true they can catch u with ur plates ... but as i do ...safety first rule i avoid as much as police traffic i can, when i see them or tail drive behind some thing until i pass the check point ...feel me. i'm good at it even my frnds we skiped many check points totally drunk with out the cops catching us thats a ability ur born with i guess ..... :angry-smiley-048: but there were times i had to stay al night awake at city traffic colombo for running away frm the police ....but that was worth it cos we had lot of cheers as we entered the station as if we won the NASCR frm fellow drivers who were there too wh gave up without a fight ... luckly we came bk safe and sound cos we were studing those days students :rolleyes: way back around 2001 i guess or else only god kwns...how the cops would treat us when ur drunk and u never stoped at sevaral check points and they had to chace u and catch u near DSSC ... by berakading the road with swat cars ... wow that was some serious fun man ....

Ok let say we talk to them nicely, sya it original and stuff but if the blady cop is Drunk and wants to earn a buck then what??? I'm just so pissed off coz i take ma car out only on Fridays and some might have seen it. Its a yellow and balk Honda EG8. The thing is i cannot run away coz they will notice the car even after a week (which did happen). It just sucks coz we use are life savings to do all the crazy things to our mechines and if we cannot put it out on the streets whats the whole point of it.

I was just thinking if i do go to courts about this will i have the chance of turning stuff abournd?? Atleast something. Like see they had this rule where vehicles cannot park on the sides of the main roads but after one court case they took that law away.

What i mean is that if there is a law saying that we cannot use exhausts, loud sound systems, the # plate thing they should put it out in a way that everyone knows.

I was talking to a lawyer this moring and he said the cops might be doing it coz there are certain guys who are recless in driving. As soon as he said that my first question was to him was how many accidents have you seen where a modified car was involved. He just couldnt say anything. There might be time where we do drive a little fast but not to damage anything coz we know later on we'll have to suff with doing up the kit or the paint and stuff.

i'm good at it even my frnds we skiped many check points totally drunk with out the cops catching us thats a ability ur born with i guess ..... :angry-smiley-048:

You are being totally irresponsible. You are proud that you drove while drunk and got away with it? Sorry mate, that is totally unacceptable, irresponsible behavior. I'm with the cops on that point. In fact, I would recommend the cancellation of the driving license + a couple of years behind bars with hard labor for drunk driving. You are risking the lives of so many innocent people... and the hilarious thing is that you are boasting about it on this forum, which makes you sound like a totally immature show off.

There are many people reading this forum, some are teenagers... and you make it sound as if it's a cool thing to drink and drive.. and get away from the cops...

You are being totally irresponsible. You are proud that you drove while drunk and got away with it? Sorry mate, that is totally unacceptable, irresponsible behavior. I'm with the cops on that point. In fact, I would recommend the cancellation of the driving license + a couple of years behind bars with hard labor for drunk driving. You are risking the lives of so many innocent people... and the hilarious thing is that you are boasting about it on this forum, which makes you sound like a totally immature show off.

There are many people reading this forum, some are teenagers... and you make it sound as if it's a cool thing to drink and drive.. and get away from the cops...

machan,

save your breath. I agree with you, and am sure am one of the many others who stand besides you. If you read his (mafia's) posts, you'd see that its all about show and little substance. He may think that we're all laughing with him, when we're mostly in fact laughing at him... i guess all forums get a character like this coming and going every now and again... in some ironic way i see some relationship between him and 'weed' who seems to have buggered off... i thought he'd changed a bit after the GT-R thread, but i guess not...

He seems to have been watching too many movies if he thinks that running from the cops in SL, subsequently getting caught, being taken to the station to be greeted with cheers.

anyway, i guess its nice to have a joker like this every now and again to add some colour :D

Edited by Dilesh

dilesh and Az i kw man thats wrong to drive after ur drunk but there are some times no other option to drive ...cos what ur gona do leave ur ride at ur frnds place and come home in a TUKTUK or go to a club in a Tuk tuk tel me how many of u guys go to a club in a tuktuk .... and come al the way home init with a cute girl to tag along when u hv ur ride ur prize posetion at home . ... good lord no way man .. i never give my car specially if it's modified to any one ... cos i modify it cos i like it and so thats it ....so i try never to get caught when i'm drunk or never use it in the first place to go anywhere when i'm doing some thing bad sorry i never ment to give any idea of cool macho type story thing but that is the fact no need to lie ... for what to get what i wrote was the fact .... <_< the best thing is don't drink and drive .... if ur drunk stay at one place till ur not .... :angry-smiley-048:

Always options. If ur planning to drink, don't drive there. Take a taxi. Get a designated driver. Call your friends over and have the drinks at your place. Or simply don't drink. I don't drink, I go to clubs have a good time and go home.

Gonna have to prioritize the drink or the cute girl. Besides, if you try to do chases with cops while drunk AND have passengers in the car, you shouldn't be allowed to drive at all. You risk the car, the passengers and the by-standers who didn't ask to be involved. Laws against drunk driving exist to make sure the road is safe for EVERYONE, not coz the cops are jobless. Besides, thats why they have a legal limit. Drink under it, your fine.

soo many things wrong in what you say...

1-- If you intend to drink make some arrangement to get back before leaving.. geez! call your dad to pick u up if u cant figure that out.

2-- No decent girl who you just met at the club is gonna 'tag along with you in the middle of the night, and if they do its probably cos they know you already thus they'd know you have a car.

3-- If you understand if you have a modified car or if you're talking of things you'd do IF you had a modified car, but either way just cos a friend drives you home in it doesnt mean its gonna be hacked.

4-- If you wanna go to a club and wanna show off your modified car and wanna get a girl to tag along, whole problem is solved if you dont dam drink! seems all the alcohol seems to have taken a toll on your reasoning and logic.

And what you said about drinking and driving kinda contradicts a LOT with your whole 'i know my limits' sermon on the races&marathons thread...

have a little consistency man!

I Dnt think Any AL member has a car loud as mine, (3 Inch Pipe with Rear Exhaust) when i pass the cars with Security Systems even very slow the Elarm Beeps, but trust me i never had any problem with cops, they stop me atlest 2 times per week, mostly near Pila, Merine Drive and between Moratuwa and panadura, never questiones abt the mods or anything

Once I was stopped near Aasiri Hospital (Narahenpita) on a Sunday around 7pm. Cops checked my DL and other docs. Everything was in order. And one cop was walking around the car and said my exhaust is too big and I can't have an exhaust barrel other than original. At that point I knew what he's upto and really got pissed off. I asked him to bend down and check the make if he wants (in my mother tongue and not very soft as well). He was looking at me like he has seen a ghost. Actually it's an original Nismo exhaust and says Nissan on the side in big bold letters. Sometimes you have to be firm with these cheeky buggers (when you haven't done anything wrong)

And from where did you find this Nismo specimen machan? Interested in doing a group order? ;)

Edited by Elvis_Pil