• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advancing The Fuel Pump

Iroshana

This is happen to me few days back and would like to know experts comments.

One of our Autotechnition advised me to advance the fuel pump by moving it about 2mm forward from matchmarks. Usually these match marks on injection pump and timing belt case and in the service manual, manufacturer said we have to align these match marks once we removed and refixing the injector pump. However the technician told me we can get more power by re-aligning the injector pump and will make more economical in Diesel consumption.

Once I asked him for a technical explanation for the above, he explained me as follows.

-----

The original match marks on the injector pump is marked for use in Japan. In the original configuration, a particular nozzle will atomize diesel when the piston coming up and some distance before the Top Dead Center and its good for use in Japan. But when it comes to Sri Lanka, He told me we need to reduce the distance from the TDC when injecting Diesel. It will cause for more performance with less Diesel.

-----

Is it CORRECT? Will this make any unexpected issues in future?

This is happen to me few days back and would like to know experts comments.

One of our Autotechnition advised me to advance the fuel pump by moving it about 2mm forward from matchmarks. Usually these match marks on injection pump and timing belt case and in the service manual, manufacturer said we have to align these match marks once we removed and refixing the injector pump. However the technician told me we can get more power by re-aligning the injector pump and will make more economical in Diesel consumption.

Once I asked him for a technical explanation for the above, he explained me as follows.

-----

The original match marks on the injector pump is marked for use in Japan. In the original configuration, a particular nozzle will atomize diesel when the piston coming up and some distance before the Top Dead Center and its good for use in Japan. But when it comes to Sri Lanka, He told me we need to reduce the distance from the TDC when injecting Diesel. It will cause for more performance with less Diesel.

-----

Is it CORRECT? Will this make any unexpected issues in future?

I don't know abt power but it indeed increased the responsiveness of engine, i think your mechanic got it wrong on the explanation, by advancing the pump you make to inject particularized / atomized diesel moment before it creates the burning temp and the compression on the combustion chamber. And this rectified the starting issue of my worn out engine.

Iroshana. Some useful articles are here. Download and read carefully. My advice is not to change factory fitted settings. Keep factory fitted settings as it is. It will help you to keep your engine life long.

http://www.rotaryauto.com/tutorials.htm

Advancing the injector pump can't harm the engine theoretically and thats why they leave provision for you to advance/retard, if not manufactures could've sealed it. Factory settings may change and are subjected to change depend on the fuel used, climate and environmental conditions, usage of the vehicle, etc.. Injector pump advancing really helps as the engine wear out and refuse to ignite diesel in the first start.

Iroshana. Some useful articles are here. Download and read carefully. My advice is not to change factory fitted settings. Keep factory fitted settings as it is. It will help you to keep your engine life long.

http://www.rotaryauto.com/tutorials.htm

Advancing the injector pump can't harm the engine theoretically and thats why they leave provision for you to advance/retard, if not manufactures could've sealed it. Factory settings may change and are subjected to change depend on the fuel used, climate and environmental conditions, usage of the vehicle, etc.. Injector pump advancing really helps as the engine wear out and refuse to ignite diesel in the first start.