• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Yokohamas- Advice Needed

gunat

Question

Hey Guys,

Looks like i'm due for a new set of tires in about 1-2 months...

Currently i'm running on Japanese BG's Turanza directionals 195/60 R14...

While they were great tires, i've found the compound a little soft, and the front tire wear on the GT has been quite excessive...

I know that UniMo has started the agency for Yoko's in SL- does anyone have experience buying semi-performance tires from them?

If anyone has suggestions for other alternate (good) tires for a semi-performance car...pls add...

cheers

v

hi gunat

if u do decide to go for the yoko's go for the A539 if available...they'd b a bit noisy cos of the hard sidewall but they'll make it up in the handling department...they might offer u the S306 but it seems more of a family sedan tyre wit d only advantage being no noise...which i doubt u'd worry abt wit a 4AGE :angry-smiley-024:

hope this helps

hi gunat

if u do decide to go for the yoko's go for the A539 if available...they'd b a bit noisy cos of the hard sidewall but they'll make it up in the handling department...they might offer u the S306 but it seems more of a family sedan tyre wit d only advantage being no noise...which i doubt u'd worry abt wit a 4AGE :angry-smiley-024:

hope this helps

Thanks Man...

What i'm hoping is that these guys actually carry a decent range of tires, apart from the standard passenger car tire, which is what i'm not looking for...

Will pay them a visit one of these days and see what's available...

cheers

I'm running Yokohoma ES 100 on my SiR. The compound is firmer than Bridgestone, and there is a slight tyre noise maybe due to this. However the tyre gives great grip and wear is minimal.

Max,

if you don't mind my asking- where'd you get the tires, and how much??

thanks!

v

PS- Pirelli is a great tire, from what i've read but not the tire for tropical environments...given that they're italian and primarily made for (european) continental driving

Max,

if you don't mind my asking- where'd you get the tires, and how much??

thanks!

v

I got them with the car, according to the previous owner he has got it around Rs10K a piece after discount.

You'll have to get the shop from Vishiz..

Guys....

FYI for those of you who might be interested. I called UniMo, and got the details..

The A539 is now out of production and has been replaced by the not-so-funky C-drive, which although is assymetrical, is not much to look at. The going price is north of 10k, so its more expensive than the japanese BG turanza's....

The much loved ES-100 Advans don't come in my tire size, but are are roughly 14k a peice....great tire, i'm told by one of our Racing colleagues, but high wear....surprising, considering that Max finds them long lasting....

Research on the net has also seen one other tire popping up regularly.

(surprisingly) Kumho- normally i'd be like "cheap sh*t"....but that was until a friend with a S2000 totally vouches for the ECSTAs he's installed to the rears...

Sadly i don't think we get the performance range here in SL- might be a more reasonable option....

Hi Guant,

I myself am planning on replacing my whole tyre set in about a month since I have got new rims for my car, so I am very interested in knowing what you find in your tyre hunt,

Have you considered the Dunlop SP Sport tyres, I think you get the jap version in SL,

anybody else have any ideas about other semi performance tyres which are actually available in SL ?

Its sad to hear the Kumho performance range is not available in SL for I see it popping up everywhere too, might have even been a bit more reasonably priced than some of the japanese tyres of the same range out there, pity,

Regards,

The Don

Guys....

FYI for those of you who might be interested. I called UniMo, and got the details..

The A539 is now out of production and has been replaced by the not-so-funky C-drive, which although is assymetrical, is not much to look at. The going price is north of 10k, so its more expensive than the japanese BG turanza's....

The much loved ES-100 Advans don't come in my tire size, but are are roughly 14k a peice....great tire, i'm told by one of our Racing colleagues, but high wear....surprising, considering that Max finds them long lasting....

Research on the net has also seen one other tire popping up regularly.

(surprisingly) Kumho- normally i'd be like "cheap sh*t"....but that was until a friend with a S2000 totally vouches for the ECSTAs he's installed to the rears...

Sadly i don't think we get the performance range here in SL- might be a more reasonable option....

Dude you cant go wrong with C-Drive's or ES100's.. However compared to Potenza the ES is a bit loud-but on the grip side very good- of course they dont last as long though.. The C's best for our roads man and is good compromise between comfort and performance and has all sort of innovation for wet and dry handing. .. I kindda like the tread pattern with the opposite layers on it and even on low profile 55 is not too hard..

Waruna were up not looking at upgrading your rim size to15??

If you go with ES look at replacing them in another 18 months of so.. if you like doing 'launches' it may be less.. Potenza maybe a bit more.. Cdrive will last well over 24-36 months...

Damn with a set of these looking to cost you beyond 40k.. Can someone please suggest an alternative??!! <_<:huh:

Hi Guant,

I myself am planning on replacing my whole tyre set in about a month since I have got new rims for my car, so I am very interested in knowing what you find in your tyre hunt,

Have you considered the Dunlop SP Sport tyres, I think you get the jap version in SL,

anybody else have any ideas about other semi performance tyres which are actually available in SL ?

Its sad to hear the Kumho performance range is not available in SL for I see it popping up everywhere too, might have even been a bit more reasonably priced than some of the japanese tyres of the same range out there, pity,

Regards,

The Don

I just replaced my Bridgestone Potenza's with Toyo Proxe's T1-R, this week. Initial experience with the Toyo's are very good. It sticks to the road much better than the Potenza's and it is definitly a lot quiter. Its a lot softer compound. But the side walls are reinforced so handling hasn't been compromised either.

If you can't get Toyo's in Lanka, the Yoko's are the next best thing. I'm suprised A539 is out of production, they still sell it in UK.

Also recommend Dunlop SP Sport 9000, they are pretty good for all round performance.

Hope this helps mate.

he he your killing me man!!! Ok what else do I need? emmmm.... At this rate I'll end up having to sleep in my car! I've already got a second warning from the Miss on this!

drop a a different exotic flower at her doorstep for the next 5 days...she'll b fine...works all the time <_<

Unfortunately that does not work with the old man.. I get :action-smiley-035:

wat u want to buy her old man flowers too? u hav to make ur mind up machan :) anyways go for a decent set of 4 tyres in one go machan n dats one thing u wont hav to worry abt for the next 2-3yrs...n stop launching :git:

Hey Guys,

Looks like i'm due for a new set of tires in about 1-2 months...

Currently i'm running on Japanese BG's Turanza directionals 195/60 R14...

While they were great tires, i've found the compound a little soft, and the front tire wear on the GT has been quite excessive...

I know that UniMo has started the agency for Yoko's in SL- does anyone have experience buying semi-performance tires from them?

If anyone has suggestions for other alternate (good) tires for a semi-performance car...pls add...

cheers

v

gunat you will be surprised, i used a 215 45 R17 NANKANG and tire wear is nil, but prone to skidding on the wet, but really takes the hard beating of a typical sri lankan road with many pot holes.

cheap as well.

Note that Autodrome has stock of the Turanzas (japanese)- fantastic tires for comfort and performance, in wet or dry....my one reservation has been the high wear on the fronts....i think this is a inherent GT problem though...so i might actually resort to replacing with the same when the time comes

i called SK munasinghe to see what range is available for the Dunlops- given my tire profile, the SP's aren't a fit- again, most of the high-performance segment tires like the potenza, advans, SP's are sub-60 profile....

SP's are great tires- i had 205/55 15's on a E30- brilliant traction, and since they were all-season tires, i actually used them through a New England winter without any issues.

.. I kindda like the tread pattern with the opposite layers on it and even on low profile 55 is not too hard..

Waruna were up not looking at upgrading your rim size to15??

If you go with ES look at replacing them in another 18 months of so.. if you like doing 'launches' it may be less.. Potenza maybe a bit more.. Cdrive will last well over 24-36 months...

Yeah K, I was thinking of upgrading to 15"- and i still might, but i'm first seeing what options are there with the OEM size. Upsizing means budgeting about 60-70k...and budgeting that in is pretty crazy, considering that i'm probably going get Nadheera to do a full rebuild this summer....thats going to cost north of 100k...for sure...

Launches? Me? You know Katu was the last time i'll try that stuff! Although, i managed to source a TRD clutch (not semi-comp though) from toyota lanka....and while clutch progression is only slightly different, the bite something else!

If you can't get Toyo's in Lanka, the Yoko's are the next best thing. I'm suprised A539 is out of production, they still sell it in UK.

Also recommend Dunlop SP Sport 9000, they are pretty good for all round performance.

Hope this helps mate.

Thanks for the suggestion- sadly, toyo's aren't in supply here in SL, unless some brave corner shop guy brings a few on personal import....

I too, am skeptical if the A539's are out of production yet- some yoko websites however, cite the C.Drive as the replacement for the 539....either way, the agent doesn't have any stock now...

gunat you will be surprised, i used a 215 45 R17 NANKANG and tire wear is nil, but prone to skidding on the wet, but really takes the hard beating of a typical sri lankan road with many pot holes.

cheap as well.

Yeah i remember those tires....was always shocked at the profile and whether they would survive SL roads...How's the comfort level D? I'm not too keen on loosing any tooth fillings man!

i called SK munasinghe to see what range is available for the Dunlops- given my tire profile, the SP's aren't a fit- again, most of the high-performance segment tires like the potenza, advans, SP's are sub-60 profile....

SP's are great tires- i had 205/55 15's on a E30- brilliant traction, and since they were all-season tires, i actually used them through a New England winter without any issues.

thats funny waruna cos im using 205/65 R15 Dunlop SP's and i buy them from Munasinghe...weird that they dont have ur size...and yes they r great tyres n last ages

thats funny waruna cos im using 205/65 R15 Dunlop SP's and i buy them from Munasinghe...weird that they dont have ur size...and yes they r great tyres n last ages

yeah dude...they have 15"....but not 195/60 R14's....! My luck...

Note that Autodrome has stock of the Turanzas (japanese)- fantastic tires for comfort and performance, in wet or dry....

i just put on a pair of turanzas for my office car last month. they have jap and indonesian made. is there any difference? there is a 1000+ price differeince between the 2. i figure since they are made from the same company, the standards should be the same. only thing is labor component...

i just put on a pair of turanzas for my office car last month. they have jap and indonesian made. is there any difference? there is a 1000+ price differeince between the 2. i figure since they are made from the same company, the standards should be the same. only thing is labor component...

the price difference for the bigger sizes r significant...eg 5000 for indo dunlops my size and 8000 for jap dunlops same size...dont knw wat the dif is cos i havent used the indo ones