• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota D4d Diesel Engines

Velocity

I was just going about reading on Toyota D4D engines and came about on this thread.

http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3701

I think its the fuel which affects the injectors ?

Does any one know if we have EURO 2 or 4 COMPLIANT DIESEL.

Well one thing is for sure, it will be blamed on the fuel if problems do occur !

You know something Velocity, I think using standard auto diesel is the safest option. I remember a while back we had a discussion over super petrol and I think it was madmax who reported on a D*MO report which stated that normal petrol was of more consistent quality as it was sourced in large quantities from a regular supplier while super petrol was of varying quality !. Same might apply to Diesel.

I guess this is a question best put to Toyota Lanka. They did not bring down D4D based vehicles for a while, and there must have been reasons for this (and it might very well be economic). I guess the only option we as the consumer have is to stick to whatever they recommend.

High pressure fuel injection systems seem to get affected by sulfur in fuel, and this is necessary why GDI engines do not work very well anywhere outside Japan. But I would assume manufacturers have had enough problems to sort this out though cos common rail technology is not exactly brand spanking new !

And the vehicles spoken about in the thread seem to be some of the older D4D's not the very latest ones like the one you are getting.

The D4D engine as any common rail diesel engine is very sensitive to the quality of the fuel used. However I think the D4D on the SL market Hilux/Prado are not Euro 4, and are made to tolerate less quality diesel than Euro 4. Otherwise that engine will not be shipped to regions like South Africa and Australia. Also there is a 2ltr D4D variant that can be found on the UK Rav4 and Corolla which is not available on other markets. This I think that is a Euro 4 diesel.

By practice I have found super diesel to be better than normal diesel. D*MO and Prestige both recommend only super diesel on their Common rail diesel engines on the Mercs and Beemers. There are more examples of issues where the owner had used normal diesel over super diesel.

Sometimes agents say that normal diesel can be used at the point of the sale of a new vehicle. But then reccommend super diesel. This is a marketing gimmick.

And with my personal experiences with common rail diesels for over 2 years, I would advice anyone to use super diesel. That applies to Toyata D4D Hilux/ Prado, Mitsubishi DiD L200/Montero, Ssangyong Xdi Rexton/Kyron/Actyon, Kia- Hyundai CRDi Sportage/Tucson/Santafe/Sorento, Merc CDi, VW TDi, BMW Common rails etc....

The D4D engine as any common rail diesel engine is very sensitive to the quality of the fuel used. However I think the D4D on the SL market Hilux/Prado are not Euro 4, and are made to tolerate less quality diesel than Euro 4. Otherwise that engine will not be shipped to regions like South Africa and Australia. Also there is a 2ltr D4D variant that can be found on the UK Rav4 and Corolla which is not available on other markets. This I think that is a Euro 4 diesel.

By practice I have found super diesel to be better than normal diesel. D*MO and Prestige both recommend only super diesel on their Common rail diesel engines on the Mercs and Beemers. There are more examples of issues where the owner had used normal diesel over super diesel.

Sometimes agents say that normal diesel can be used at the point of the sale of a new vehicle. But then reccommend super diesel. This is a marketing gimmick.

And with my personal experiences with common rail diesels for over 2 years, I would advice anyone to use super diesel. That applies to Toyata D4D Hilux/ Prado, Mitsubishi DiD L200/Montero, Ssangyong Xdi Rexton/Kyron/Actyon, Kia- Hyundai CRDi Sportage/Tucson/Santafe/Sorento, Merc CDi, VW TDi, BMW Common rails etc....

I stand corrected and educated !

And the vehicles spoken about in the thread seem to be some of the older D4D's not the very latest ones like the one you are getting.

Infact DON the Landcruiser pick up does not come with the D4D engine over here,

What is sold by toyota over here has the 1HZ which has a Distribution Type Fuel Injection.

http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=...asc&start=0

Above thread is also very intresting,

Max & DON

I have a Isuzu 4.8Ltr Common Rail Truck and after 10,000 km of use over here with Normal Diesel the Filter Light came on.

Took the agents and they said our Fuel is f**ked up and that we need to pump Super Diesel but said that Japs have tested it and even the super Diesel is not even near to EURO 2.

:(

I was just going about reading on Toyota D4D engines and came about on this thread.

http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=3701

I think its the fuel which affects the injectors ?

Does any one know if we have EURO 2 or 4 COMPLIANT DIESEL.

I have seen a lot of high mileage D4Ds with heavy smoke in UK. I'm guessing that fuel will become an issue with the local fuel on the long-run. Even the BMW E46 commonrail diesels tend to wear out quite quickly.

maybe this sound stupid ... but want to ask u guys, what is the difference between common rail and other normal engines and how do u identify its a common rail ?

searched on the net for this... but want to know it simply

wiki has explained it rather simply...hope this helps :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail

Common Rail is electronically controlled Fuel injectors fed from a high pressure fuel pipe (the common rail). The pipe supply fuel to all the injectors at around 200bar pressure and the injection duration and quantity of the fuel is controlled by the ECU. The pressure is created by a high pressure pump driven by the cam belt or the cam directly and is not sequential like the conventional fuel pump.

These engines are very efficient and smooth running and very reliable. The fuel filter is a very much higher efficiency unit than on a conventional diesel and must be changed regularly as any loss of pressure will result in poor starting and running problems.

Just a basic explanation.

Maithri.

Common Rail is electronically controlled Fuel injectors fed from a high pressure fuel pipe (the common rail). The pipe supply fuel to all the injectors at around 200bar pressure and the injection duration and quantity of the fuel is controlled by the ECU. The pressure is created by a high pressure pump driven by the cam belt or the cam directly and is not sequential like the conventional fuel pump.

These engines are very efficient and smooth running and very reliable. The fuel filter is a very much higher efficiency unit than on a conventional diesel and must be changed regularly as any loss of pressure will result in poor starting and running problems.

Maithri.

What the Milage should we change the Fuel Filter for Common Rail engines. any idea.

Maithri.

this is what u call short and sweet, thanks !!!

What the Milage should we change the Fuel Filter for Common Rail engines. any idea.

i also want to know