• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Finding A Thermostat Valve

deco

Question

Please help me to find a Thermostat Valve for my old Mitsubishi Orion engine.

If you can give me a place where to buy would be much appreciated.

The thing is the engine never comes to its normal operating temp. i know this will increase fuel consumption and efficiency too. most of the mechanics remove these stuff thinking its useless.

if its useless why does the manufacturer fixes them??

Please help me to find it.. dont just say that my engine is too old and live with what it has..

Thanks

7 answers to this question

The thing is the engine never comes to its normal operating temp. i know this will increase fuel consumption and efficiency too. most of the mechanics remove these stuff thinking its useless.

Please help me to find it.. dont just say that my engine is too old and live with what it has..

Thanks

Did you also check on the web?

I have the some experience to share. we had a Hiace 119 some time back, bought From Indra Traders Paliyagoda. It had a engine over heating problem. Later when we came home to kandy we took the van to kandy branch, mind you they replaced the whole engine starting from the Block right down! :D Still the probs was there and they could not rectify the eingine heating problem

My father had once gone to a small garage near buy and also mentioning the problem the mechanic had mentioned about the thermostat valve and when we asked them to check it...it was removed! Beware everybody! specially if you are buying a brand new or reconditioned vehicle...Especially when buying from a known motor dealer! They dont no crap about vehicles though they say they do! :angry-smiley-024:

I have the some experience to share. we had a Hiace 119 some time back, bought From Indra Traders Paliyagoda. It had a engine over heating problem. Later when we came home to kandy we took the van to kandy branch, mind you they replaced the whole engine starting from the Block right down! :D Still the probs was there and they could not rectify the eingine heating problem

My father had once gone to a small garage near buy and also mentioning the problem the mechanic had mentioned about the thermostat valve and when we asked them to check it...it was removed! Beware everybody! specially if you are buying a brand new or reconditioned vehicle...Especially when buying from a known motor dealer! They dont no crap about vehicles though they say they do! :angry-smiley-024:

I searched the web and found lots of places with the matching one. They are much expensive when coupled with shipping expenses.

The thermostat is much neglected part in an engine, specially in sri lanka. no one cares about it. but when it malfunctions either engine over heating or running below efficient temperature will result..

Thanks

Priya, I'm surprised you guys had a overheating problem with the thermostat valve removed. I mean usually the problem is the opposite that the engine takes a long time to reach operating temperature as deco is experiencing.

I think I can understand why they did it though (and I'm not trying to justify it !) The 2.4L Diesel engines fitted to the Hiace had a problem of blowing gaskets and cracking heads due to overheating (and this was a manufacturing design defect I believe) and to combat this our mechanics have gotten to the habit of removing the thermostat valve by default and without checking !!!

To deco, the thermostat valve should not be too hard to find and I suggest you check in Panchikawatte as dealers in the suburbs do not always carry the full range of Mitsubishi parts. Give a ring to Un#ted M#tors parts division and check their price before going because if the dealer price is only marginally expensive you are better off buying from UM, though from personal experience this is VERY unlikely.

Priya, I'm surprised you guys had a overheating problem with the thermostat valve removed. I mean usually the problem is the opposite that the engine takes a long time to reach operating temperature as deco is experiencing.

I think I can understand why they did it though (and I'm not trying to justify it !) The 2.4L Diesel engines fitted to the Hiace had a problem of blowing gaskets and cracking heads due to overheating (and this was a manufacturing design defect I believe) and to combat this our mechanics have gotten to the habit of removing the thermostat valve by default and without checking !!!

To deco, the thermostat valve should not be too hard to find and I suggest you check in Panchikawatte as dealers in the suburbs do not always carry the full range of Mitsubishi parts. Give a ring to Un#ted M#tors parts division and check their price before going because if the dealer price is only marginally expensive you are better off buying from UM, though from personal experience this is VERY unlikely.

Thank you Don..

Nope..not 2.4L it had a 3L engine..u know the 4x4 short wheel base model which came...LH 119 or 11x something.

Nope..not 2.4L it had a 3L engine..u know the 4x4 short wheel base model which came...LH 119 or 11x something.

I see, in that case I guess it was completely unnecessary !

I think a at least some of our mechanics are people who were trained by their mentors whose experience is on vehicles a generation ago and does not fully comprehend the complex electro mechanical systems in modern vehicles.

In the olden days a cool running engine was probably considered a good thing as most vehicles suffered terribly from overheating !! Things have moved on I guess !

Thanks

sad to say certain agents don't see the value of thermostats either... i found mine online and in addition to shipping it cost less than the agent's price but it was still the genuine part... you might have to part with extra cash to avoid trouble later dude... good luck with your search...