• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Electric Fan Kit

deco

Question

4 answers to this question

Has anyone here installed an electric fan replacing their stock radiator fan?? If so more info in this is much appreciated..

I haven't yet but will be shortly on a stock E39. I am still on the fence about the actual fan, have been researching which model works best with the car. You need to match the CFM and power consumption to the car while being able to fit into the shroud. I can help with the relay, electric thermostat and wiring. what make/model is urs?

I haven't yet but will be shortly on a stock E39. I am still on the fence about the actual fan, have been researching which model works best with the car. You need to match the CFM and power consumption to the car while being able to fit into the shroud. I can help with the relay, electric thermostat and wiring. what make/model is urs?

Hi dhp,

Its an old lancer.. Actually the stock fan is fixed to the water pump without even a fan clutch. so it spins w'ther the engine is cold or hot.. I heard that those fans are consuming engine power thus effecting the milage. So i thought of doing this as an experiment all by my self.. I think the electric thermostat is the harder part, right?? if you can help me to find parts, and places, would be much appreciated..

Thanks in advance

yeah the older models came with the fan directly connection to the engine.. i think this is quite possible.. and even if the thermostat is a problem since its an older model a direct fan assmbley wouldnt do much harm i guess.. since it will give u a few more horses with the load taken off the engine too..

i am not an expert on this just my opinion.. i think dhp can comment more

charitha is correct on how the mechanical fan takes a few horses away from the wheels but it seems more than just a few horses in stop-n-go traffic when ur in the lower power band of the engine. You can feel the reduced throttle response on a hot day when the fan is running (clutched).

for the thermostat you'll have to do some research and trials. I owned an 88 accord which had an electric thermostat attached to the radiator, I am sure you can find a similar model in SL for civics, crxs, etc. You then need to find a fan thats specced for an engine capacity similar to your (I would go for one slightly higher). These have a metal backing that you need to mount onto a flat surface of the radiator. You can use some metal straps for testing

Then there is the issue of size; (this is where I am stuck in my project) you need a fan the same diameter as the stock if you have a shroud (plastic cover) guiding the air from radiator. Then you need to find one with a bolt pattern that will work with your car. IMHO finding the right fan is the hardest..

then the electrical conn isn't too hard

Ignition power source ------ relay(hooked to battery with fuse) ------thermostat---------fan positive

in the beginning until you get the thermostat perfected, I would put a manual switch from relay to fan in the dash, so u can watch the temp and turn on the fan if needed.