• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Me Decide A Diesel Car

L board

Dear Friends

Due to the sickening cost of fuel, I decided to go for a diesel car. I have two options in my mind.

1) Toyota Corolla CE110 - Auto

2) Nissan Bluebird SU14 - Auto

I believe that both are in the same price range (Rs 15-16 lakhs and that is my budget too).

Assuming that both are in equally good condition, I would like to get some information from you

1) How is the fuel consumption in city limits?

2) How is the availability of spares and body parts?

3) Which is easily resellable?

4) Which gives less trouble?

5) How long can the engines run without replacement?

Please give me the above information so that I can take a decision between the two. I know that the Bluebird looks nicer and perhaps is more comfortable than the CE110. However Toyota has its reputation for reliability. So please folks help me take the decision.

I would pick the Corolla CE110 (AE110 is petrol) diesel any day. Fuel consumption is about 10-12 in city and higher on long distance. The engine can run 200K-400K miles before an overhaul and spare parts are plenty. I've had a Corolla CE110 equivalent station wagon in the family for the last 9 years and haven't even touched the engine.

Edited by madmax

I would pick the Corolla CE110 (AE110 is petrol) diesel any day. Fuel consumption is about 10-12 in city and higher on long distance. The engine can run 200K-400K miles before an overhaul and spare parts are plenty. I've had a Corolla CE110 equivalent station wagon in the family for the last 9 years and haven't even touched the engine.

Thanks for the feedback. What grades are there in the CE110? I know with the AE110 you get SE ehich is the highest, XE the second and then LX and DX the lower versions. What about the CE 110?

Thanks for the feedback. What grades are there in the CE110? I know with the AE110 you get SE ehich is the highest, XE the second and then LX and DX the lower versions. What about the CE 110?

Same grades. In order;

SE Saloon

XE Saloon

LX

DX

DDX- brand new imports. Features are a lot closer to XE/SE Saloon.

Edited by madmax

Can someone please give some information on the SU14 too? I guess Eprise will be the one to consider? Does it have 2 liter engine or a 2.2 liter engine?

I would go for the U 14 Eprise manual gear, provided I can find a carefully used one from a family:

U 14 Eprise was a popular choice during the previous permit round in 99-2000 years... I personally know a few professionals who've maintained these well and are selling these days due to the new permits that came in...(Don't ask me who, I'm not a broker :))

Avg figures for the diesel as per my knowledge is 10 in city, 14 outstation.... and it's more comfy & spacious than 110....

engine is 2.0 L, but the power:weight ratio is supposed to be ok....

Life of engine would depend on how it was used, not by the make of vehicle... and i'm sure the kind of people mentioned above would have used the car carefully for around 100-150k.... and it'll be several years before a major overhaul....

the users I mentioned have never grumbled on spares or the agent...

My argument is, if the vehicle's maintained well and happens to be a popular make in SL, you can always find a buyer without a lot of sweat....

this is my 2 cents, of course... I've driven both cars and liked the comfort of the U 14 better.... and I would consider a manual... it gives me the real feel of driving... :)

Hope U R not confused now, mate.... :rolleyes:

I would go for the U 14 Eprise manual gear, provided I can find a carefully used one from a family:

U 14 Eprise was a popular choice during the previous permit round in 99-2000 years... I personally know a few professionals who've maintained these well and are selling these days due to the new permits that came in...(Don't ask me who, I'm not a broker :))

Avg figures for the diesel as per my knowledge is 10 in city, 14 outstation.... and it's more comfy & spacious than 110....

Life of engine would depend on how it was used, not by the make of vehicle... and i'm sure the kind of people mentioned above would have used the car carefully for around 100-150k.... and it'll be several years before a major overhaul....

My argument is, if the vehicle's maintained well and happens to be a popular make in SL, you can always find a buyer without a lot of sweat....

this is my 2 cents, of course... I've driven both cars and liked the comfort of the U 14 better.... and I would consider a manual... it gives me the real feel of driving... :)

Thanks a lot for your input. What I can gather is that both are good cars and I should not regret buying either (provided the previous owner has maintained it well). What I will really have to do now is to drive the two and see which I feel is better for me.

SE Saloon Rivera

SE Saloon G (G Grade)

SE Saloon L (L Grade)

XE Saloon Limited

XE Saloon

LX

DX

Are there any different grades of SU14 Eprise? Do all of them have the same options? Also are SU14 parts more expensive than a CE110?

Probably yes, SU14 parts more expensive than the CE110

Edited by Nilantha

Hi Seeker,

I've once driven a SU 14 Diesel myself (as well as the CE110) and while the interior size, quality and the comfort of the Blue Bird was superior to the Corolla, I was underwhelmed by the power of the engine. I think the 2L Diesel is not quite adequate compared to the size of the Blue Bird. I've driven the same generation Blue bird Petrol and that car pulls like there is no tomorrow !

The CE110 felt lighter, more agile and nimble and the comfort and quality of the interior was very satisfactory !

The only thing I might add is that a lot of CE110's which were brought under permits were semi option (DX and LX I think) and only have power steering and mirrors, while the Eprise will be a full option car.

Originally I was under the impression that I will be able to get about 14km per liter in city with both vehicles. But sadly that does not seem to be the case :(

U try CE110 manual gear model. You will be able to gain 14kmpl city.

Are there manul SU14 also? If so, how is the fuel consumption in city?

I think you've already got figures for that. It should be in the region of 10-12 (if the Corolla is capable of 14, because they both have 2L engines)

Hi Seeker,

I've once driven a SU 14 Diesel myself (as well as the CE110) and while the interior size, quality and the comfort of the Blue Bird was superior to the Corolla, I was underwhelmed by the power of the engine. I think the 2L Diesel is not quite adequate compared to the size of the Blue Bird. I've driven the same generation Blue bird Petrol and that car pulls like there is no tomorrow !

The CE110 felt lighter, more agile and nimble and the comfort and quality of the interior was very satisfactory !

The only thing I might add is that a lot of CE110's which were brought under permits were semi option (DX and LX I think) and only have power steering and mirrors, while the Eprise will be a full option car.

Ah yes! thanks Don... i forgot that part... the reason is said to be because it share the SB 14 engine... CD20, I think... but then again, it also mean that most of the spares in B13 & 14 diesel versions can be shared... correct me if I'm wrong, though..

But the pulling power is quite acceptable by the people I know.... but then again, these folks are a few decades before our time.. :)

Haven't driven the petrol versions, so can't comment....

but I'd still go for the bluebird, cos on a age & price comparison, I'll be able to get a newer car for the same price of a 110...(Again this may be a subjective comment..)

further, if you have kids, the spacious interior and large boot can be quite handy.. ask any young mother and see... :rolleyes:

( and Don must be right about permit versions of U14 being full option & CE110 semi option..)

By the way L board, there are quite a few manual Bluebirds & CE110s around...

good luck with the search.... you probably won't regret either of the choices..

Thanks gentlemen for your responses. During my hunt on last Sunday I also saw this lovely Toyota Corona diesel CT190 and CT 210 and also a Toyota Carina CT192. All diesel. Do you have any idea as to how they are on fuel?

They would be around what the Blue Bird is capable of !

Hey!!!! Today I saw this CE100 white color Toyota Corolla. My mechanic drove the vehicle and said that the engine is in very good shape and the running condition is also very good. Body condition is also good. It is an auto. The guy claims that you can get 14km per liter in city. He is asking for 12.5 lakhs. Do you think this is a good deal. I am of course tempted :)

help help!!!!!!

Hey!!!! Today I saw this CE100 white color Toyota Corolla. My mechanic drove the vehicle and said that the engine is in very good shape and the running condition is also very good. Body condition is also good. It is an auto. The guy claims that you can get 14km per liter in city. He is asking for 12.5 lakhs. Do you think this is a good deal. I am of course tempted :)

help help!!!!!!

Try CE110

dear mate

i would choose the corolla one since I own a toyota carina -a diesel one

it has the same engine as the corolla 110-

2C engine

my one has done just above 300,000km and still is in good condition

actually no major engine repairs up to now

also i had two friends who had N*ssan S*nny deisel cars and their engines went down when they were just 100,000km

those are my expereince

Do you think 12.5 lakhs is a reasonable price for a good CE100?

L Board, there is two 2C engine models I have seen. Newer model is “Uda exhaust models”. this “Uda exhaust model” is the newest model. It has manufactured after 1995 removing some defectives from old 2C engine.

I think CE100 with the old 2C engine CE110 with the newest 2C engine. Plz check before buy. 1.25m for CE100 is ok if it is full option and manufactured year 1995. there are two CE100 models. 1is “diga light” model and 2nd is “kota light” model. Newest is “Kotal ight model” it is bit expensive. if this model is "kota light model" price is good.

Diga light Model:-

cimg11411fs8.th.jpg

Kota light Model:-

myae101backne6.th.jpg

Edited by Nilantha