• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Choosing My Next Vehicle - Allion 260, Axio Hybrid, or Prius?

shank

I am planning to purchase a new vehicle and have narrowed down my options to three choices: the Toyota Allion 260 (2011-2012 model), the Toyota Axio Hybrid (2014-2015 model), and the Toyota Prius (2013-2015 model).

Fuel consumption is not my primary concern, I am particularly interested in a few specific areas:

1. Comfort:
2. Driving Pleasure
3. Interior Options
3. Aesthetics: In terms of interior and exterior look, which car stands out the most to you

4. Maintainability and repairs
Any insights, personal experiences, or recommendations regarding these vehicles?

@shank these cars have been discussed in detail in the forum. I am pretty sure you would find the answers to all your questions if you do a quick search in the forums.

Just to give you a quick summary.

1. Prius and Allion are more or less the same and would be a matter of preference. The Axio Hybrid comes in last. It is based on the smaller and entry level Vits platform. So the ride is not as nice and reformed as the Allion/Prius.

2. None. Go buy a Lancer or a Mazda 3 or Axela. These being common A to B cars from Toyota they have no pleasure what so ever. There is zero steering wheel feedback, accelerator feels numb, suspension is soft. If you get an Allion with a 1.8L or 2.0L engine then you have a bit of acceleration feel. Keep in mind these are cars built for average people who are looking for a box on wheels to get them from A to B in moderate comfort. If I was to rank in drivability I would say

Prius (in SPORT mode with a properly functioning Hybrid System) > Allion (assuming its 1.5) and Axio tied for being equally lethargica and boring.

3./4.  Interior options are dependent on the trim level of the car and what the person who bought the car in Japan ordered the car with. In Japan these cars were offered with the same sort of accessories when buying new. You may find an Axio better equipped than an Allion or an Allion better equipped than a Prius.  Since these are cars for different market segments there are some slight differences in finish and refinement. The Prius and Allion are mid-sized sedans in Japan so they have the same sort of finish and refinement (i.e. materials used on seats, dash etc...); The Prius might seem a bit more futuristic and techie because it is a Prius whilst the Allion interior design being a bit modest and minimalistic/simple. Again...depends on the trim level.

The Axio is an entry level sedan in Japan and it is based on the Vitz platform. Finish and refinement may not seem as "good" as the Prius/Allion.

So this depends on personal preference.

The Allion is based on a platform and technology that is fro the early 2000s so it is quite old fashioned. Which also means even a monkey with a hammer in the middle of no where Thanthirimale can fix it with a rope and a twig. This also means things like safety tech are somewhat old fashioned.

The real question you should be asking yourself is, Why these 3 Toyotas ? For market value and sticking with the trend? or because you really like these cars? Are there any other cars (non Toyotas) for the same price range (or even less) that offer more in terms of 1,2,3 and 4 ?

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:58 AM, shank said:

1. Comfort:
2. Driving Pleasure
3. Interior Options
3. Aesthetics: In terms of interior and exterior look, which car stands out the most to you

4. Maintainability and repairs

1) Allion and Prius are more comfy than the Axio 

2) Out of the 3 you mentioned surprisingly it would be the Prius as it at least has a bit of acceleration than the other two - unless your Allion is a 1.8 L unit, which is quite rare.  Once again the Axio at the bottom - it just feels so weird and disconnected to drive and sluggish.

3) This would depend on the grades - of course if you're the kind of guy who likes a lot of bling bling and what-not get a Prius. The Allion is basically a car from 15 years ago.  The axio's interior is rather spartan. 

3b) Aesthetics - subjective. I don't like the exterior look of the prius but that's me. 

4) Easy. The non-hybrid. Allion.

Another input is that these 3 are very very popular cars - hence routinely abused. Very hard to find an honest specimen. It's a bit more scary when you consider the Prius and Axio's are super economical and used as fleet cars and taxis, run half a million km's and mileage rolled back. Same could apply for the Allion but I dare say you could find a lesser abused Allion than a prius or axio. 

IF i was pointed a gun and asked to chose one of these - I'd pick an Allion. If there was no such pressure - then I'd explore what Mitsubishi, Honda and Mazda have to offer