• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eg8 For A Daily Runner

razordj

Hi all,

This is my first post at AL :)

I read most of the posts related to eg8(and ek3) before starting the thread. I'm planning to buy an EG8 and this will be my first car. Heard that Ek3 does well in fuel than EG8, but i love da look of EG8. :rolleyes:

As a daily runner, (at least 3 days in a week) I will hav to run around 110KMs daily(up and down from matugama to bamba) so altogether I hv to manage a high amount of fuel cost (which i cannot claim from my company).

I heard that honda parts are little bit expensive at stafford, but u guys mentioned there r some local dealers as wel.

So I need to knw about my option from u guys who are experts. Is an EG8 a good car for a daily runner who runs more distance like me? How about maintaining expenses? parts, etc. How about the fuel? Will I be able to manage and EG8 wit a decent cost as a daily runner?

Any advice/help is appriciated! :unsure:

Thanks in Advance!

Hi all,

This is my first post at AL :)

I read most of the posts related to eg8(and ek3) before starting the thread. I'm planning to buy an EG8 and this will be my first car. Heard that Ek3 does well in fuel than EG8, but i love da look of EG8. :rolleyes:

As a daily runner, (at least 3 days in a week) I will hav to run around 110KMs daily(up and down from matugama to bamba) so altogether I hv to manage a high amount of fuel cost (which i cannot claim from my company).

I heard that honda parts are little bit expensive at stafford, but u guys mentioned there r some local dealers as wel.

So I need to knw about my option from u guys who are experts. Is an EG8 a good car for a daily runner who runs more distance like me? How about maintaining expenses? parts, etc. How about the fuel? Will I be able to manage and EG8 wit a decent cost as a daily runner?

Any advice/help is appriciated! :unsure:

Thanks in Advance!

There was once WHITE SIR and EG8 which came from MATHUGAMA, have not seen him on the forums for a long time though :)

i am sure he would be best to get the fuel figures.

Bro take the following into consideration

1 ) How many Years you are going to own the car - Check what parts need to be replaced. ( Calculate a Total Cost and see if you can spend that amount on a newer model )

2 ) How much Fuel Consumption for the Next Few Years - Take the Worst Figures. Sometimes when you love a car you try to take the best figures thinking that it might do well.

3 ) Remove Exhausts and all other non value adding parts.

Off course Travelling from such Distance i would seriously recommend a Very Fuel Efficient and Many be a Brand New Kelisa or something like that.

But they if you need to buy something you love you need to sacrifice something.

Just one note thought. Have you heard of something called the Maslow's Hierarchy Theory. Somethings we only fall in love with only until we achieve it. But after that we want something else. So always consider each and every fact for a careful decision because you will have to pump fuel for it for the next few years and thats something you go to live with

There was once WHITE SIR and EG8 which came from MATHUGAMA, have not seen him on the forums for a long time though :)

i am sure he would be best to get the fuel figures.

Bro take the following into consideration

1 ) How many Years you are going to own the car - Check what parts need to be replaced. ( Calculate a Total Cost and see if you can spend that amount on a newer model )

2 ) How much Fuel Consumption for the Next Few Years - Take the Worst Figures. Sometimes when you love a car you try to take the best figures thinking that it might do well.

3 ) Remove Exhausts and all other non value adding parts.

Off course Travelling from such Distance i would seriously recommend a Very Fuel Efficient and Many be a Brand New Kelisa or something like that.

But they if you need to buy something you love you need to sacrifice something.

Just one note thought. Have you heard of something called the Maslow's Hierarchy Theory. Somethings we only fall in love with only until we achieve it. But after that we want something else. So always consider each and every fact for a careful decision because you will have to pump fuel for it for the next few years and thats something you go to live with

Thanks for the quick reply velocity. U hav mentioned several good points. Glad to knw that one of mathugama mates in here. I saw a red eg8 there, wonder whether its da person.

What u said is true, i might feel another car later. But for sure i'm gonna spend next 2 -3 years with this choice.

At home, my father owns a cheryQQ which does well on fuel. But thats for home use and.. of course i'm 25 year old now :) so looking for a little bit sporty looking car. EG8 is a car which i liked most from my childhood, thats y i'm looking forward to that.

The thing i'm mostly afraid of is the cost for spare parts. According to my calculations I will be able to manage my fuel cost. But i do not hv much clear idea when it comes to fuel+spare parts. :unsure:

And most of my friends who owns EGs and EKs does not travel as much as i am. (some of them kept their cars in da garage and comes by bus :P )

well if u talk to guys @ galle dialog arcade u can see that eg8 is a very populer car there(dnt ask who maintaince them ha ha) n also there are two reg drivers from kalutara to col..19- black eg n 300 blue eg vtec..its a good car.. u can do lot of things to it or u can keep it as it is..fuel good but go for a ex or a vti version..

Thanks for the quick reply velocity. U hav mentioned several good points. Glad to knw that one of mathugama mates in here. I saw a red eg8 there, wonder whether its da person.

He still drives a white car, but its no longer a Civic.

another option..as you are concerned about fuel figures, sporty look, and the maintenance as well..

back in the old days, Toyota had a version called Ceres/Marino, and it looks quite sporty, acceleration not bad either, and maintenance wise wont give you much trouble..having the same AE-100 engine, body parts can be found..not that expensive..there were few advertised, worth to be checked out..

and..a friend of mine was telling that his Nissan FB14 which has a 1400CC engine gives 11 per liter, even with a exhaust barrel which makes some irritating noise :P so its not bad as it seems, that is..he daily travels from Panadura to Fort..and says he manges with 5500K per week with some loads of extra traveling as well..other than to office.

seriously i have no experience with Honda's yet..but have been in your Matugama pals cars, whom velocity was talking about..and..i am quite scared to get my hands on a one..like that.. :D lols.. (hardly affording the GT too..these days ;) )

Edited by Kim

Brother don't worry about maintenence because spares are not expensive than expected. But most important factor is the previous maintenence of the car. EG8 is now more than 14 years old therefore I would like to suggest EK3 rather than eg8. Both cars are very good and if you find efi model of eg8 is much better in fuel. I have used both models and ek3 is better in driving and economy.Eg8 does 13km out station and ek3 does 14km at moderate driving (Fuel injection models)

If you do repairs at the agent it's bit expensive. you may find a lot of Honda experts are doing repairs out side and you can get spares also from one shop at panchikawatta(Some times some spares are cheaper at the agent :D ).

It seems you are really like eg8 therefore you try to find one which has been used by a monyed man so you can expect that he has done the preventive maintenance in time.

Any way wish you all the best. :)

seriously i have no experience with Honda's yet..but have been in your Matugama pals cars, whom velocity was talking about..and..i am quite scared to get my hands on a one..like that.. :D lols.. (hardly affording the GT too..these days ;) )

Sorry to Jump o/t, but Kim, what kinda mileage do you get from the GT?

Edited by Arc Angel

Hi all,

Thanks for all ur feedbacks. glad to hear that there r several EG8 guys from kalutara,panadura as well.

As my first car, i'm gonna try the EG8. of course EK3 is a decent car, but if i go for that i hv to stay some time and find more money. :unsure:

anyway, is there places/ garages available at kalutara area for maintenances? Or do i hv to bring it to colombo?

and kim, i'm looking for the option Ceres/Marino. But still feels like going for a EG8.

MX one is da dual carb model of EG8 right? Which does less on fuel?

Hi all,

Thanks for all ur feedbacks. glad to hear that there r several EG8 guys from kalutara,panadura as well.

As my first car, i'm gonna try the EG8. of course EK3 is a decent car, but if i go for that i hv to stay some time and find more money. :unsure:

anyway, is there places/ garages available at kalutara area for maintenances? Or do i hv to bring it to colombo?

and kim, i'm looking for the option Ceres/Marino. But still feels like going for a EG8.

MX one is da dual carb model of EG8 right? Which does less on fuel?

MX consume more fuel and give more power. Better you go for a efi model to save fuel.

Well, let me reveal my inputs on EG8

First must admit the strong influencing abilities of Mr Racersedge persuaded me opt for an EG8 as a second car (giving a peace time to Minis) and finally twisted out to be the daily drive thrashing the rest.

I enjoy ma EG8 babe a lot and mind you she got exciting power and easy on wallet. Had very little maintenance work and with 5000km logged sofar no snags let me down ! Touchwood!!!

It didn’t take long to realize why many are so crazy about EG8s!

MINIACE

Well, let me reveal my inputs on EG8

First must admit the strong influencing abilities of Mr Racersedge persuaded me opt for an EG8 as a second car (giving a peace time to Minis) and finally twisted out to be the daily drive thrashing the rest.

I enjoy ma EG8 babe a lot and mind you she got exciting power and easy on wallet. Had very little maintenance work and with 5000km logged sofar no snags let me down ! Touchwood!!!

It didn’t take long to realize why many are so crazy about EG8s!

MINIACE

u bought a EG8?? post some pics will u :P